House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wherebee

When will the madness end?

Now, this could all be blowing up a storm in a teacup by the Telegraph, but if true it is another example of reality denial by the 'anti-racists'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/01/08/university-students-demand-philosophers-including-plato-kant/

Is segregation the end game here?  Where a majority of tolerant whites just get fed up and say fine, we'll be off and leave you to it?  We'll come back after 50 years to reconquer the ruins?

31 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Now, this could all be blowing up a storm in a teacup by the Telegraph, but if true it is another example of reality denial by the 'anti-racists'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/01/08/university-students-demand-philosophers-including-plato-kant/

Is segregation the end game here?  Where a majority of tolerant whites just get fed up and say fine, we'll be off and leave you to it?  We'll come back after 50 years to reconquer the ruins?

To be honest at the School of African and Oriental Studies I'd expect them to focus on African and Oriental thinkers rather than European philosophy.  Is it just click-bait?

1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

To be honest at the School of African and Oriental Studies I'd expect them to focus on African and Oriental thinkers rather than European philosophy.  Is it just click-bait?

yeah, could be.  But the general head in sandness of it rings true with so, so many other anti-white actions in recent years.  It's simply crazy that such double standards exist.

6 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Plato taught Aristotle philosophy.

Aristotle taught Alexander the Great.

Alexander the Great had something of an involvement in Africa and the East. ;)

It was the 2nd top read story in the first link that caught my eye:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/universities-warned-snowflake-student-demands/

The Government faces a cross-party revolt in the Lords this week over proposed reforms to higher education, which include placing student satisfaction at the heart of a new ranking system.

I'd suggest that student satisfaction is largely irrelevant to higher education.  Indeed, i'd suggest that if a small-but-noticeable proportion of students aren't at least quite unhappy with their experience then something is very wrong*.

I'd be content to have actual outcomes define rankings, but satisfaction has nothing to do with this (other than the point that students with good grades might be more likely to be satisfied -- but that would be using satisfaction as a flawed proxy of outcomes, where they'd be better off actually measuring outcomes in the first place).

Beyond this simplistic view, it could be considered that a difficult time at college prepares you for the difficulties you'll have in the real world.  Perhaps an 'unreasonable' course lead will prepare you for the myriad of 'unreasonable' middle managers that will have to be coped with in work? 

[but then they'd introduce a stupid 'at least x% must be unhappy' metric, just like the 'not enough accidents' meetings I used to have with mad H&S people.  This could be readily overcome by accepting that % of patsies into the course, designed to be unhappy and thus gain the x%.]

4 minutes ago, Nickos said:

it's moronic this whole "it's racist" BS. If it were white moaning, then it wouldn't have even been mentioned.

This also cracked me up this morning:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2565176/two-traveller-women-shamed-online-for-shopping-in-tesco-in-their-pyjamas-brand-their-male-critic-sexist-and-racist/

The pair had just nipped out to buy milk for a five-month-old baby at 7pm when their clothing attracted widespread criticism and sparked a debate on dress codes in supermarkets.

Did it take 2 of them? And where's the baby?

On the contrary, i think Universities are going to have to pander to every "snowflake" whim & complaint, afterall it is where the Universities funding comes from via tuition fees.

They are now over a barrel, students have been demanding "sleeping pods" be installed and that has been catered for so they can have a kip mid afternoon as they partake in evening clubs and groups etc 

and new students have also demanded an end to freshers week saying they don't want to spend their first week "on the p***" they want to get on and start the courses they are paying a kings ransom for (this is now being catered for as well, and lets face it, it was only to give older students and lecturers longer holidays wasn't it?) 

The Universities have brought it all on themselves encouraging the SJW / Marxism etc now it is being taken to ridiculous levels (removing statues? no platforming? safe spaces? micro-aggressions? and now preventing the use of he / she to refer to a fellow student)   

Good times ahead.

http://news.sky.com/story/fancy-a-snooze-edinburgh-university-students-back-16310k-nap-pods-on-campus-10689919

8 hours ago, wherebee said:

Off... to where?

There is nowhere to go off to.

10 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

On the contrary, i think Universities are going to have to pander to every "snowflake" whim & complaint, afterall it is where the Universities funding comes from via tuition fees.

They are now over a barrel, students have been demanding "sleeping pods" be installed and that has been catered for so they can have a kip mid afternoon as they partake in evening clubs and groups etc 

and new students have also demanded an end to freshers week saying they don't want to spend their first week "on the p***" they want to get on and start the courses they are paying a kings ransom for (this is now being catered for as well, and lets face it, it was only to give older students and lecturers longer holidays wasn't it?) 

Good times ahead.

Yes, that is a good move, students demanding better value for money.....linking in with employers so that whatever qualifications they get will link them to a job that there is a need and demand for at the end.... keep hearing we have a skills shortage in this country, should not be the case if universities are providing students with the skills that are required, when goes to prove they can't be.....first class training and a job at the end of it that will help repay the huge investment in both time and money students make....instead of being dropped   and told to now go and fend for yourself, nice knowing you, thanks for the business.

Got to get out of it what put into it.......also think students should rate their teachers marks out of ten for enthusiasm, vocation, dedication, quality of teaching and time and effort put into the job.;)

31 minutes ago, DEATH said:

I remember when only intelligent people went to uni, well them and the landed people. They went there to learn things too.

Yes. When I went  in the 80s, it was about 7% of the population + a further 6% to the old Polys.

Now anyone who signs on the dotted can get a degree. Ah! yes, debt at the heart of policy again.

Cant help thinking few places with the old grants system was a much better idea than mass mediocracy.

When will the madness end? It won't. Remember we live in a society hell-bent on screwing itself up at every possible opportunity and calling it "progress".

Watching Justine Greening on Marr yesterday. It wasn't what she said, it was her job title.

Minister for Women and Equalities.

The only ministerial job that can only be done by only one sex.

And surely an oxymoron. Can you imagine a minister for White People and Equality. 

Until they stop these sort of titles we know which way the wind is blowing.

^

If there's justification for a Minister for Women and Equalities then these days perhaps equally there does seem to be a a bit of a justification for a Minister for Men and Equalities - perhaps to work in conjunction with the Minister for Women and Equalities on the basis of equality and to provide balance rather than just one side of the discussion being represented in government.

The position might or might not have a lot of work to do but in 2017 some representation seems to be in order.

3 hours ago, dgul said:

It was the 2nd top read story in the first link that caught my eye:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/universities-warned-snowflake-student-demands/

I'd suggest that student satisfaction is largely irrelevant to higher education.  Indeed, i'd suggest that if a small-but-noticeable proportion of students aren't at least quite unhappy with their experience then something is very wrong*.

I'd be content to have actual outcomes define rankings, but satisfaction has nothing to do with this (other than the point that students with good grades might be more likely to be satisfied -- but that would be using satisfaction as a flawed proxy of outcomes, where they'd be better off actually measuring outcomes in the first place).

Beyond this simplistic view, it could be considered that a difficult time at college prepares you for the difficulties you'll have in the real world.  Perhaps an 'unreasonable' course lead will prepare you for the myriad of 'unreasonable' middle managers that will have to be coped with in work? 

[but then they'd introduce a stupid 'at least x% must be unhappy' metric, just like the 'not enough accidents' meetings I used to have with mad H&S people.  This could be readily overcome by accepting that % of patsies into the course, designed to be unhappy and thus gain the x%.]

IMO, pandering to student satisfaction is ruining the very student experience that school leavers going to University seek, if only the school leavers/students knew it.

The problem with Universities chasing student experience is that school leavers only know 'school' and so perhaps naturally, when told they are customers, demand a school-like experience, kicking back against independent learning.

The problem is greatest outside the very top Universities where the 'lesser' Universities compete for students by touting the ratings their undergraduate and graduate students give them. and so the student becomes almost omnipotent.

Question is: do we want to produce people who think for themselves or people who toe the line and feed the 'system'?  If it's the former, we're reaping what we sowed. 

If you think about it logically, the madness can't spontaneously just end all by itself. The only think that can fix it is a big event, like a total collapse. Didn't the Roman Empire take hundreds of years to collapse though? Maybe emigration then to somewhere more sensible as I can see it ending up with people being locked up because they are suspected of thought crimes.

1 hour ago, StarsEnd said:

If you think about it logically, the madness can't spontaneously just end all by itself. The only think that can fix it is a big event, like a total collapse. Didn't the Roman Empire take hundreds of years to collapse though? Maybe emigration then to somewhere more sensible as I can see it ending up with people being locked up because they are suspected of thought crimes.

I was on the subway last night thinking this very thought.  I have an escape route to Australia/New Zealand (although Oz is heading the same way if labor.greens get their way), but some of my close friends and relatives do not.  

Good God, there are a lot of snowflakes commenting on this thread! What's the matter folks, do you need to be protected from the nasty anti-racists? Or perhaps you could take your own advice and suck it up without bitchin'?

Need a little cheese to go with that whine?  :lol:

1 hour ago, AThirdWay said:

Good God, there are a lot of snowflakes commenting on this thread! What's the matter folks, do you need to be protected from the nasty anti-racists? Or perhaps you could take your own advice and suck it up without bitchin'?

hah hah fair call - but one of the marks of intelligence is not fighting battles you cannot win.  And right now, with the media, courts, employment law, all stacked in favour of the SJWs, it's only sensible to recognise that an individual is highly unlikely to win a battle, and could lose everything.  So - evasion and escape becomes the order of the day, I think.

My prediction for the future is things will get truely truely awful for much of Europe, and only once a strongman arises for the nationalists in a major european nation will we see a chance for change.  Which will mean civil war.  

Just as we look back on people in medieval times who left everything to the church on their deathbed, impoverishing their children, and wonder 'how the hell were they so stupid', I would predict that if civilisation survives, the period 1960-2020 will be look at as much the same sort of madness.

1 hour ago, AThirdWay said:

I'm not sure I'd really call them anti-racists, more like retarded brainwashed monkeys really. When there's enough of them it can be extremely dangerous to normal people.

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

I was on the subway last night thinking this very thought.  I have an escape route to Australia/New Zealand (although Oz is heading the same way if labor.greens get their way), but some of my close friends and relatives do not.  

I also have an escape route to Aus/New Zealand as I hold an Australian passport. Fortunately my entire family have access to the same. My preference would be NZ. Sadly I do expect to have to use it one day.