House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

25,000 Manufacturing Jobs Lost In The Last 3 Months

Given the acceleration in unemployment numbers we might expect 1 million out of work by year end? Employment numbers has consistently been the reason given by EAs and VIs as to why the market can keep going up year after year. The key point with worsening employment is confidence. When people read about mass layoffs they are far less likely to "invest" in a house at or near the top of the market. The psychological damage done by these kinds of headlines should not be underestimated.

Compare and contrast!

BBC version of same story

As usual, contradiction-free, high quality journalism from Gordons B's pals at the Beeb :-)

And UK manufacturers cut about 25,000 jobs in the quarter as they struggled to pass on rising costs to customers

and further down

However, it is not all gloom, as manufacturers remain confident that they will be able to pass on rising costs in price rises to the domestic market this year.

Mind you they seem to be slacking, every BBC article is obliged to come with a comment from an obscure ecomomist about how it 'opens the door for a rate cut in near future' - or would that be a rate rise in this case!

....could be why they have been so forgetful :blink:

This is now starting to feel like last crash with jobs being lost both nationally and locally in ever increasing numbers, shops are starting to become boarded up in the high street etc... the mood has definitely changed since the New Year. Not sure for how much longer the VI can spin this out - people are starting to see changes for themselves and entering into discussions that have been voiced on this website for the last year. Interesting times ahead. <_<

However, it is not all gloom, as manufacturers remain confident that they will be able to pass on rising costs in price rises to the domestic market this year.

Is it Inflation in other words ?

Business costs are rising out of control thanks to an interfering regulation minded state.

People must be given the choice to work for firms able to opt - out of swathes of regulation and therefore able to compete on the world stage.

Leftish 1970s notions of eutopian employment conditions must be resigned to history.

Only then can people hope for sustainable employment.

I am currently moving to new business premises. The experience of dealing with armies of state employees is driving me up the wall. Arrogant bueracrats without a scrap of empathy. Much of thier involvement is completely pointless. They even wanted to know what the waste pipes from the building above me are made from!!!!!!! Now Im just ignoring most of them and hoping for the best, it would appear most business people I talk to end up adopting such an attitude.

Sack them all, outsource and have them get proper jobs.

Edited by dogbox

"However, it is not all gloom"

It’s unbelievable how the bbc report on the economy and housing market, its like they are in denial!!

"woolworths profits down 10%, however its not all gloom, a seven year old from S****horpe purchased two sherbert dib dabs from the S****horpe branch on the very same afternoon." :lol:

Leftish 1970s notions of eutopian employment conditions must be resigned to history.

I expect this old chestnut to be given quite an airing in the years to come - Thatch used to like that one.

I wonder if the Germans think the same now? Perhaps we truly are carrying deadweight - subsidising millions of economically inactive people one way or another. When armageddon comes etc etc... :blink:

"However, it is not all gloom"

It’s unbelievable how the bbc report on the economy and housing market, its like they are in denial!!

"woolworths profits down 10%, however its not all gloom, a seven year old from S****horpe purchased two sherbert dib dabs from the S****horpe branch on the very same afternoon." :lol:

And the BBC headline for the item is "CBI says manufacturing jobs lost"

I love the way the Beeb put a Delusionary Optimistic slant on everything they publish!

I bet if a Nuclear Missile Detonated on top of the bbc's main headquarters they will publish the following news in response:

"House Prices to rise around BBC's main Hq, due to environmental warm air & stunning firework displays"

:rolleyes:

I love the way the Beeb put a Delusionary Optimistic slant on everything they publish!

I bet if a Nuclear Missile Detonated on top of the bbc's main headquarters they will publish the following news in response:

"House Prices to rise around BBC's main Hq, due to environmental warm air & stunning firework displays"

:rolleyes:

Very good!