House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Foreign aid pop group

17 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Ffs. They need to review ALL foreign aid spending before any more money is disbursed. 

Common sense will never be applied. The money isn't meant to be spent wisely, 'Foreign Aid' is merely a euphemism for state sanctioned bribery.

I guess the Establishment see potential gains in creating Third World Establishments.

Why waste your money getting water to a million plebs when the same money gets you five millionaires.

1 hour ago, Bossybabe said:

Ffs. They need to review ALL foreign aid spending before any more money is disbursed. 

They're supposed to do that regularly anyway.

22 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I like the way the BBC go on and on about Russian release of Democratic emails etc interfered with the US election.... but transparently defend these attempts to change the very culture of Ethiopia by promoting an Ethiopian "girl power" pop band.

Or the BBC World Service pumping propaganda around the world.

The irony is obviously lost on them.

I had not thought of it in that way, but now I do. Thanks for the different perspective.

1 hour ago, frozen_out said:

Common sense will never be applied. The money isn't meant to be spent wisely, 'Foreign Aid' is merely a euphemism for state sanctioned bribery.

Plus a very lucrative little earner for ex politicians and civil servants. There are a whole host of them earning very nice salaries handing out this cash via various QUANGOs that we hear little or nothing about.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Plus a very lucrative little earner for ex politicians and civil servants. There are a whole host of them earning very nice salaries handing out this cash via various QUANGOs that we hear little or nothing about.

This.

If there were no jobs for ex pollies, or fun gap years for the kids of the rich, foreign aid would be 1/100th of what it is now.

2 hours ago, hotairmail said:

I like the way the BBC go on and on about Russian release of Democratic emails etc interfered with the US election.... but transparently defend these attempts to change the very culture of Ethiopia by promoting an Ethiopian "girl power" pop band.

+100000

Imagine the good £5.2m could do to aspiring musicians, bands and songwriters in this country. When you think how much of boost English music gives to GDP, our exports and the nation's profile as a world leader in music and art. This is where such money should be going.

The dead hand of Cameron again. Foreign aid must equal 0.7% so give it to anybody who will take it.

When you have something like this then clearly 0.7% is too high; why not try 0.5% for starters and then see if it is still going to spurious nonsense.

If it is then try 0.4%.  You will know the right level of aid as this will be the point at which it isn't being wasted.

Makes for a good headline, but perhaps there as more to it than that. If a legitimate aim of aid spending is to improve people's lives, where do the limits to that lie, and what methods are considered appropriate. It is well known that sending conventional aid or money often ends up in the coffers or under the control of a few unscupulous types, perhaps this approach is an attempt to play 'the long game' and undermine these regimes. Might it be considered good value instead...?

http://www.girleffect.org/what-we-do/yegna/

32 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Makes for a good headline, but perhaps there as more to it than that. If a legitimate aim of aid spending is to improve people's lives, where do the limits to that lie, and what methods are considered appropriate. It is well known that sending conventional aid or money often ends up in the coffers or under the control of a few unscupulous types, perhaps this approach is an attempt to play 'the long game' and undermine these regimes. Might it be considered good value instead...?

http://www.girleffect.org/what-we-do/yegna/

Personally, and from what I've seen, I'd say that at face value, Yegna appears a worthy initiative. As you say, playing the long game to bring about positive change; there is clear mechanism of delivery, goals and follow-on - in fact, 'the long game', although not spelled out as such, is a qualifying criteria for grants. I can't comment on the level of funding. My hope is that Yegna is now sufficiently well established in Ethiopia that the UK aid is now relatively, unnecessary. In fact, it may well be a non-story that has been spun by the media - as if.

I've been a part of panels deciding what projects get foreign aid, I've always taken my role seriously and have done as much background research as possible. I'm not an exception, at least not on the panels I've sat upon. The panels are made up of people like you might find on HPC. We're healthily skeptical and want UK money spent well, if it's going to be spent. The work I do attracts an honorarium of about £120 for the day I attend the panel meeting to finally, debate and decide who gets what. Beforehand, I will have spent about  one week researching the portfolio of ~10 projects I'll have to assess, which is unpaid; and that is a real cost to me as I'm freelance.

20 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

Personally, and from what I've seen, I'd say that at face value, Yegna appears a worthy initiative. As you say, playing the long game to bring about positive change; there is clear mechanism of delivery, goals and follow-on - in fact, 'the long game', although not spelled out as such, is a qualifying criteria for grants. I can't comment on the level of funding. My hope is that Yegna is now sufficiently well established in Ethiopia that the UK aid is now relatively, unnecessary. In fact, it may well be a non-story that has been spun by the media - as if.

I've been a part of panels deciding what projects get foreign aid, I've always taken my role seriously and have done as much background research as possible. I'm not an exception, at least not on the panels I've sat upon. The panels are made up of people like you might find on HPC. We're healthily skeptical and want UK money spent well, if it's going to be spent. The work I do attracts an honorarium of about £120 for the day I attend the panel meeting to finally, debate and decide who gets what. Beforehand, I will have spent about  one week researching the portfolio of ~10 projects I'll have to assess, which is unpaid; and that is a real cost to me as I'm freelance.

20 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

Personally, and from what I've seen, I'd say that at face value, Yegna appears a worthy initiative. As you say, playing the long game to bring about positive change; there is clear mechanism of delivery, goals and follow-on - in fact, 'the long game', although not spelled out as such, is a qualifying criteria for grants. I can't comment on the level of funding. My hope is that Yegna is now sufficient

That is very reassuring to read; and I have given up trying to edit the quotes!

(this is an issue of the software as I get it elsewhere, Fubra / HPC can't do anything about it)

The impact it has on social issues like young marriage and gender-based violence is measurable: 

93% of women who regularly listen to Yegna agreed with the statement ‘You would speak to someone if you saw a young girl being forced to get married’, compared to 53% of women who are not aware of Yegna.

59% of girls aged 10-19 who regularly listen to Yegna agreed with the statement ‘Girls who were beaten by their parents should report it to the authorities’, compared to 31% of girls who are not aware of Yegna.

But who can people 'speak to' and what good will it do if this pop group is the only change.  Whilst education is a vital step,
without support it is pointless. 

Their stories are heartwarming. 

Although the Ethiopian constitution explicitly states that "marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses" and the minimum legal age for marriage is 18 for both boys and girls, the laws are not always enforced.
http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2011/child-marriage-ethiopia.aspx

19 hours ago, hotairmail said:

I like the way the BBC ... transparently defend these attempts to change the very culture of Ethiopia by promoting an Ethiopian "girl power" pop band.

They could be thought of as psychological operations in a cultural war.

Are results measurable?

What criteria do they normally use to evaluate projects?

There's a group in Manchester who claim to feed 50 people from an allotment plot every week. Ensures plenty of funding even though anyone with half a brain knows it's nonsense.

Foreign Aid should go to dodgy regimes to keep British armaments companies going.:mellow:

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Foreign Aid should go to dodgy regimes to keep British armaments companies going.:mellow:

I wonder who manages the group, does their pr etc.

23 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

I wonder who manages the group, does their pr etc.

Would you rather have the FRENCH get the contract?

That's a lot of money for a few blocks balancing on top of each other.