House Price Crash Forum

Starting out Investing Advice

999house

HOLA441

So Ive finally finished educating myself and have a bit of time and spare cash now Im working. I would like to know where is the best place to put 300 or 400 hundred quid a week?

is it wise to put it in an index tracker like the virgin all share? Or ftse100 tracker? What do we think the outlook is? How did you guys start of your investing portfolio?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
2 hours ago, 999house said:

So Ive finally finished educating myself and have a bit of time and spare cash now Im working. I would like to know where is the best place to put 300 or 400 hundred quid a week?

is it wise to put it in an index tracker like the virgin all share? Or ftse100 tracker? What do we think the outlook is? How did you guys start of your investing portfolio?

How old are you?

When do you want the money and what for?

What are you financial life goals?

Where do you have your wealth currently?

Anything else we should know?

Edited by wish I could afford one

HOLA445
3 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

How old are you?

When do you want the money and what for?

What are you financial life goals?

Where do you have your wealth currently?

Anything else we should know?

30's

5 year span maybe but some longer

house paid off and some income from investments for retirement

dont have anything other than savings

AOB - I understand general finance but not a trader or anything. Read Benjamin Graham, Buffet. Understand value investing, can calculate intrinsic value approximately. But would prefer safer bets such as index trackers, bonds etc...Would like to know about asset allocation and ideas for where to put money. Also what the concensus for markets / currencies / commodities are from members.

Edited by 999house

HOLA446
10 minutes ago, 999house said:

30's

5 year span maybe but some longer

house paid off and some income from investments for retirement

dont have anything other than savings

nope

Before I comment remember I'm just some bloke on the internet and am certainly not a financial planner.

Your "5 year" timescale doesn't match your "house paid off"/"investments for retirement".  I'll assume it's the later.

Firstly, do you have a cash emergency fund that covers circa 6 months of expenses?  If not get one of those first.

I'd then start overpaying on the mortgage while learning about investing.  Maybe:

• Half overpaying on the mortgage
  • Half into a low cost Stocks and Shares ISA.  Put the cash in regularly and when it reaches a critical mass from an expenses perspective maybe buy a low cost diversified equity tracker to get you started.  Something like VWRL.

Any obvious reasons why that doesn't seem sensible to you?  Eg penalties for overpaying on the mortgage,...

What are you doing about pensions?  Are you a higher rate taxpayer?  Does your employer offer any incentives for investing in a pension?

How many years currently left on the mortgage?  When do you want to retire?

Full disclosure:  I'm big on the financial independence/early retirement way of life.  I started not unlike yourself (age 35) and 8.7 years later became financially independent.  I'll retire early this year in my mid 40's.  If that sort of thing floats your boat I wrote a book on the topic to try and help others.  It's here.  You can read the first part of the book for free to see if it's your thing but it covers how I knew when I'd have enough and then how saved/invested my way to the goal.  It covers some of the things I mentioned above.

HOLA447
Just now, wish I could afford one said:

Before I comment remember I'm just some bloke on the internet and am certainly not a financial planner.

Your "5 year" timescale doesn't match your "house paid off"/"investments for retirement".  I'll assume it's the later.

Firstly, do you have a cash emergency fund that covers circa 6 months of expenses?  If not get one of those first.

I'd then start overpaying on the mortgage while learning about investing.  Maybe:

• Half overpaying on the mortgage
  • Half into a low cost Stocks and Shares ISA.  Put the cash in regularly and when it reaches a critical mass from an expenses perspective maybe buy a low cost diversified equity tracker to get you started.  Something like VWRL.

Any obvious reasons why that doesn't seem sensible to you?  Eg penalties for overpaying on the mortgage,...

What are you doing about pensions?  Are you a higher rate taxpayer?  Does your employer offer any incentives for investing in a pension?

How many years currently left on the mortgage?  When do you want to retire?

Full disclosure:  I'm big on the financial independence/early retirement way of life.  I started not unlike yourself (age 35) and 8.7 years later became financially independent.  I'll retire early this year in my mid 40's.  If that sort of thing floats your boat I wrote a book on the topic to try and help others.  It's here.  You can read the first part of the book for free to see if it's your thing but it covers how I knew when I'd have enough and then how saved/invested my way to the goal.  It covers some of the things I mentioned above.

I may need to dig into it in an emergency so said 5 years to be safe. But hopefully longer.

HOLA448
2 minutes ago, 999house said:

I may need to dig into it in an emergency so said 5 years to be safe. But hopefully longer.

If you may need the cash then you can't really invest what you might need in equities/bonds/commodities/property as they can fall in value a lot and stay fallen for a long time.  Cash is also a risk though as it's going to be eroded by inflation.  You'll never save for retirement by just saving in cash.