House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

The broad and narrow path

AN00185387_001_l.jpg

The broad and narrow way

London : Morgan & Scott, [1886?]

This fascinating and very detailed picture was used to accompany a sermon given by a member of the evangelist Open-Air Mission in the 1880s. It illustrates the text of Matthew 7: 13-14: “… wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction … narrow is the way which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it”. People gather in the lower region, contemplating which path to take; that on the left is flanked by a tavern, theatre and gambling house and leads to Hell. The wide archway through which it is accessed points to the ease with which one can fall into bad habits. On the right the path to Heaven has far fewer travellers, who pass a church and Sunday School; the eye of God presides over the whole scene, recalling the text of 1 Peter 3:12 – “For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous … but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil”. Each action in the picture is accompanied by a Biblical reference; for example, the people drinking outside the theatre on the path to Hell are below ‘Isaiah 5:11’, which warns “Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!”

An ingenious way to illustrate a Biblical passage, this image was intended to simplify the Bible for its Victorian audience. Upon hearing the sermon one commentator wrote about this “curious picture which Mr Kirkham hangs up to view … [which] forcefully aids the impression produced by what he speaks”. The image itself has German origins and was designed in the 1850s; copies of this English version were sold for 1 shilling each.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?assetId=185387001&objectId=700246&partId=1

All seeing eye - confirmed!

1 hour ago, 200p said:

Would the Union Jack be replaced by the EU flag today?

no, this would absolutely be brought out by the remain camp/project fear.

look at where the uk flag is positioned.

they would,of course,modify the painting and put the EU flag on the clock tower of the cathederal near the entrance.

There appears to be a couple of bridges across the chasm so the initial choice of path is not irrevocable.

This suggests that indulging earthly pleasures up to and including the gambling house, then nipping smartly across the more distant bridge to the big house on the narrow path, might constitute a relatively enjoyable journey to heaven.

2 hours ago, 200p said:

Would the Union Jack be replaced by the EU flag today?

Amusingly, this flag denotes the concern of worldly events to the detriment of the spiritual -- so even discussing it is setting you along the path to destruction.

17 minutes ago, The Spaniard said:

There appears to be a couple of bridges across the chasm so the initial choice of path is not irrevocable.

This suggests that indulging earthly pleasures up to and including the gambling house, then nipping smartly across the more distant bridge to the big house on the narrow path, might constitute a relatively enjoyable journey to heaven.

They're both guarded.  The first by a guy emphatically pointing you back to the wide road, the second by a man who asks the traveller three riddles (about their favourite colour and statistical information regarding migratory birds)

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

They're both guarded.  The first by a guy emphatically pointing you back to the wide road, the second by a man who asks the traveller three riddles (about their favourite colour and statistical information regarding migratory birds)

Jobsworths, the pair of them.

12 hours ago, dgul said:

Amusingly, this flag denotes the concern of worldly events to the detriment of the spiritual -- so even discussing it is setting you along the path to destruction.

What about the third one ...sabertooth sheep ?

I was reading last week that the latest guesstimate is that there are some 20 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way alone and that there are some 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe.

I wonder what all the people who wrote these religious books thousands of years ago... and the countless priests who have preached their words in the intervening several thousand years... would think of the above. Would they be able to comprehend it and would it change their perception of everything?

6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was reading last week that the latest guesstimate is that there are some 20 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way alone and that there are some 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe.

I wonder what all the people who wrote these religious books thousands of years ago... and the countless priests who have preached their words in the intervening several thousand years... would think of the above. Would they be able to comprehend it and would it change their perception of everything?

My view is that there can still be a God / creator regardless of the size of the universe, even if there are quintillions of planets with life.  Our perception is so limited - the whole thing could be some kind of "Matrix" simulation / sandpit - put together by a creator / creators.

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

No human can even begin to understand and comprehend these numbers.imo. 

Literally mind boggling. 

So there are two trillion galaxies and within each there could be 20 billion earth like planets ? Only one smiley for this one !!

:wacko:

4 hours ago, ccc said:

No human can even begin to understand and comprehend these numbers.imo. 

Literally mind boggling. 

So there are two trillion galaxies and within each there could be 20 billion earth like planets ? Only one smiley for this one !!

:wacko:

Even more mind-blowing is one possibility is that, as the Universe is 'only' about 14.5 billion years old and the latest guesstimate is that it will be around for a 100 trillion years, that we might indeed be the first intelligent life form in the Universe - i.e. the percentage of Time it took from the beginning to get to us is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of one percent of the eventual life of the Universe.

Of course, another theory is that literally billions and billions of intelligent civilisations came and went long before even our own sun was formed.

Being someone who likes his own space I am quite happy being out here on a remote spiral arm of the Milky Way. But I do wonder if we are missing out on a lot of stuff going on in the galatic centre.

5 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

My view is that there can still be a God / creator regardless of the size of the universe, even if there are quintillions of planets with life.  Our perception is so limited - the whole thing could be some kind of "Matrix" simulation / sandpit - put together by a creator / creators.

Yes, I pretty much go alone with this. We could be the Universe's or Creator's way of understanding itself. There are some lovely things written in SOME of the ancient religious texts but most of the stuff is hatred, nasty stuff which was written by hate-filled or mentally unstable people. Today much of such views would be considered the views of the ignorant - unless it is Islam and then apparently it is alright to sprout bile, hatred and worse.

Or this could all be some elaborate recreation game where we come on holiday for a short while. So many possibilities.

I am just sad that there are so many wonders on this planet alone and there is not enough time to take them all in. I could quite happily journey through the cosmo on a USS Voyager for a few trillion years exploring things. But I think I would always want to come home to Earth. Sadly, one day neither Earth or our Sun will even exist.

13 hours ago, long time lurking said:

What about the third one ...sabertooth sheep ?

I'd sooner encounter those than the walk through Safari with a lurking lion on the narrow path. 

6 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I'd sooner encounter those than the walk through Safari with a lurking lion on the narrow path. 

Nah it`s the  andrex puppies ancestor 

Edit ah missed that one was looking at the wrong path

Life on earth is finite....try to live everyday as if your last, no going back....build it up, draw it down.....never be as young as you are today.....lots of different paths, lots of different choices, we are all vaunerable, how you think.;)

All very beautiful, like the Jehovah's Witness magazine.:mellow:

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

On 07/01/2017 at 10:45 PM, hotairmail said:

There is the concept of "the road less travelled" too isn't there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Taking_the_road_less_traveled

Interesting points but to be honest the narrow path to heaven in the print above looks to be a teeny bit dull, safe and conformist to me. It is the epitome of a upright Victorian bourgeoisie concept of the route to salvation replete with respectable ladies, children going to Sunday School and vicars in surpluses which has more or less excised the rather more robust evangelical vision of John Bunyan who actually spent time in jail for his beliefs. It is in essence a pious priggish view of morality not a million miles from the secular busybodies who overrun modern society trying to nag sinners who eat, drink and laze around too much down the path of virtue. It completely misses the wider point Bunyan makes in Pilgrims Progress that the journey to heaven has actually to be made through most of the vices, vicissitudes and temptations shown on the other path. In fact the truth is the difficult path or the  road less travelled actually runs right through the same scenes as depicted on the wide path. This is  a point drawn out in the gospels where Jesus spends most of his time consorting with the 'wrong sort of people' rather than conventional respectable religious society.

On 1/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, The Masked Tulip said:

Even more mind-blowing is one possibility is that, as the Universe is 'only' about 14.5 billion years old and the latest guesstimate is that it will be around for a 100 trillion years, that we might indeed be the first intelligent life form in the Universe - i.e. the percentage of Time it took from the beginning to get to us is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of one percent of the eventual life of the Universe.

Of course, another theory is that literally billions and billions of intelligent civilisations came and went long before even our own sun was formed.

Being someone who likes his own space I am quite happy being out here on a remote spiral arm of the Milky Way. But I do wonder if we are missing out on a lot of stuff going on in the galatic centre.

It takes the earth ~226,000,000 years to orbit the centre of our unremarkable, galaxy, the Milky Way.

Man has existed in his modern form, homo sapiens, for just 200,000 years.

In other words, our species has travelled just one tenth of one percent of our galactic orbit in our little corner of the universe. That's the cosmic equivalent of never having left the house.

And that picture was painted by? A scientist? An engineer? No: an artist.  And commissioned by a religious nut, most likely. What of worth have we learned from either? Why should we hope to learn anything from their collaborative creation?

With greatest respect to the OP, one has to wonder why are we even bothering to talk about such stuff.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:49 PM, MrPin said:

All very beautiful, like the Jehovah's Witness magazine.:mellow:

Yes, I've got me magnifying glass out but still can't pick out the leopard lying down with the kid, but I'm thinking if you could see inside that Sunday School ;):o