House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Met Office Summary 2016

Not really much for the Ministry of Information to gets its teeth into at the BBC or its lap dog at the Met Office. A year that was remarkable for being benign, certainly the most temperate and least extreme of my lifetime. Though you could point to the storms of last Winter and the very localised flooding in the North West, it would be truly remarkable if we didn't get any extreme weather at all.

Though we all accept global warming by and large what really pisses me off is the extreme spin given by the BBC who get together a disaster team everytime we have an inch of snow or a bit of flooding, which we get every year.

the most extreme events of the last 100 years.....

(1) The tidal wave of 1953

(2) the big snow and flooding of 1947

(3) the big freeze of 1963

(4) The drought and heat wave of 1976

Not actually getting more common are they even as the climate warms.

So the summary of 2016, 2 degrees above average last month, 0.5 above average for the year. A cold spring and November. But remarkable for being unremarkable, I blame global warming for producing such an average year and uneventful year.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2016/annual

4 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

What about 1995, the year of the Great Yorkshire Drought?

Water brought in by fleets of converted tankers. Standpipes in the streets of Bradford.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/remember-1995-1-2101006

Well I could have added the big snow  and freeze of 1978/9, the big freeze of 1986, the river floods of 1965, the hurricane of 1987 and  the cold winter of 2009/10. But I reckon i have nailed down the top four. Meanwhile none of these major or minor  extreme events have occurred in the last six years. Surprising when the BBC keep threatening us with more extreme weather as part of their global warming agneda.

I agree that global warming is happening but rather than giving us more extreme events we have  gone New Zealand style  these last six years.

Just read the report.

Appears it was slightly warmer, slightly sunnier and slightly drier than 'normal'.

Will someone please think of the poor polar bears this is truly awful.

Ps - Why do they use 1980-2010 for the comparison ?

41 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Indeed, the floods of our cities....Carlisle and Hull, and later, Leeds, that barely got a mention on the London dominated media. But which set them back economically for decades as investment dried up.

EDIT: Perhaps the pattern that strikes me here is extreme localised events? And the lack of investment outside the SE.

Yorkshire has had more than its fair share of unlucky weather, probably the same with the North West. But localised weather events have always occurred so people in these regions may be getting a false impression.

The N midlands has largely escaped anything that could be considered extreme for half a century now. It got the worst of the 1947 blizzard piling up several feet for a couple of months and causing the closest thing to a famine in the 20th century. The floods, Sheffield Brightside style, occurred in December 1960 and 1965. I know because i've just past the ominous flood markers on Matlock park footbriidge over the Derwent.

Here's a theory - the Met Office were in danger of losing their contract for the BBC in 2016 so they decided to give us some extreme forecasts on the off-chance that, if one proved right, they could go to the BBC and say "Hey, look how right we were - give us a new contract!"?

Or they could just be cr*p.

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Well I could have added the big snow  and freeze of 1978/9, the big freeze of 1986, the river floods of 1965, the hurricane of 1987 and  the cold winter of 2009/10. But I reckon i have nailed down the top four. Meanwhile none of these major or minor  extreme events have occurred in the last six years. Surprising when the BBC keep threatening us with more extreme weather as part of their global warming agneda.

I agree that global warming is happening but rather than giving us more extreme events we have  gone New Zealand style  these last six years.

One driver of weather is temperature difference between the poles and the equator. The bigger the difference the more extreme storms become. AGW is supposed to have its greatest affect on the poles, reducing the temperature gradient between poles and equator thus reducing storm activity.

I guess the AGW advocates win either way.

4 hours ago, hotairmail said:

What about 1995, the year of the Great Yorkshire Drought?

Water brought in by fleets of converted tankers. Standpipes in the streets of Bradford.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/remember-1995-1-2101006

That is interesting, surprised I don't recall anything about that at the time, what a strange anomaly that West Yorkshire, one of the wettest parts of the country, should suffer so badly whilst the east, one of the driest areas, had water to spare.

Edit - Don't know why my reply has appeared in the quote^^

I like the way newspapers predict the worst Winter ever, when it isn't. The Met office should be accurate in its recordings, but can predict little more than Mystic Meg.

Yeah, what is it with the last 4 years IIRC where every year early autumn there are warnings of extreme Siberian winters.  

Two maybe three years ago I took heed and invested in an extremely warm down jacket as my last one was failing (that down Jack kept me really toasty during the genuinely freezing winter/ snow spell a couple of years before). Anyway I've worn the new jacket about 3 times and now ignore the noise of any imminent record breaking cold winter.  Crying wolf anyone?  I'd imagine the odds of them getting it right one year are good if they if they keep predicting tails!  OK rant over

I too have a worn once arctic condition coat!:huh:

3 hours ago, Dogtanian said:

Yeah, what is it with the last 4 years IIRC where every year early autumn there are warnings of extreme Siberian winters.  

the express predicts it every year.

8 hours ago, SarahBell said:

the express predicts it every year.

Astrology? YES, newspapers, don't tell us what happened. They tell us what could happen, if only... well. I'm putting up stronger net curtains to protect me from an asteroid strike.

20 hours ago, SarahBell said:

Boxing day floods 2015.

As I said earlier, you might get a wrong impression of extreme events living in  Lancashire and Yorkshire. But these events always occur somewhere in the country, well 2016 was very benign pretty much everywhere. In the N Midlands we are looking back to 1960 and 1965 for the last major floodings. In East anglia and Lincolnshire 1953, all very historic stuff. Which is why it is rather irritating when the BBC make political judgements (blaming global warming) as soon as any event occurs. Nobody is denying global warming, just becomes a convenient political weapon. 

18 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

As I said earlier, you might get a wrong impression of extreme events living in  Lancashire and Yorkshire. But these events always occur somewhere in the country, well 2016 was very benign pretty much everywhere. In the N Midlands we are looking back to 1960 and 1965 for the last major floodings. In East anglia and Lincolnshire 1953, all very historic stuff. Which is why it is rather irritating when the BBC make political judgements (blaming global warming) as soon as any event occurs. Nobody is denying global warming, just becomes a convenient political weapon. 

Parts of England have had their wettest January since records began more than 100 years ago, figures show.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25944823 Jan 2014.

You could well get the impression that it's a lot wetter.

_72619995_uk_rainfall_2014_464_v2.gif

You've got a combination of several weather events, high, low, wind, rain, snow mixed with a combination of areas. That gives you literally thousands of combinations for localised records, You are almost bound to get a once in a hundred year record on something each year given the thousands of possible combinations of weather event and locality.

Each   weather event has sub divisions......hottest could be a month (12 combinations) a day (365 combinations) a season (4 combinations) a year, a decade, a series of two , three or four years etc.

Though not denying trends of global warming, I do dispute this has caused more extreme events in the UK.

Well I'm currently in a part of Thailand supposedly in the middle of their hot and dry season - and its rained for 4 days !! Not normal rain - torrential tropical rain. 

Friday they had a record day rainfall here. That should give you some idea considering this place isn't exactly immune to a torrential downpour or two.

People have died etc. Pretty serious. State of emergency I think. 

Pub all day is the only thing for it.:blink: