House Price Crash Forum

Guardian scratching their 'progressive' heads post Brexit

Sour Mash

HOLA441

Oh dear, looks like the Guardian are having a few difficulties 'processing' reality.  They seem perplexed that the economy didn't just collapse in a heap the moment Brexit won the referendum, as they and other 'liberal progressive' types had assured us (and each other) it would:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/05/why-uk-economy-defied-predictions-doom-brexit-vote

The notion that maybe there were valid economic reasons in favour of Brexit has of course, completely escaped their politically correct, SJW collective heads.  Nope, Brexit was a disaster and anyone who was in favour of it could only have been so for Racist/ Xenopobic/ Uneducated/ deluded reasons.  So it's a real headscratcher why the sky hasn't fallen.

Don't worry Guardian, there will be an economic crash sooner rather than later and you can blame it on Brexit whenever it happens.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
19 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Oh dear, looks like the Guardian are having a few difficulties 'processing' reality.  They seem perplexed that the economy didn't just collapse in a heap the moment Brexit won the referendum, as they and other 'liberal progressive' types had assured us (and each other) it would:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/05/why-uk-economy-defied-predictions-doom-brexit-vote

The notion that maybe there were valid economic reasons in favour of Brexit has of course, completely escaped their politically correct, SJW collective heads.  Nope, Brexit was a disaster and anyone who was in favour of it could only have been so for Racist/ Xenopobic/ Uneducated/ deluded reasons.  So it's a real headscratcher why the sky hasn't fallen.

Don't worry Guardian, there will be an economic crash sooner rather than later and you can blame it on Brexit whenever it happens.

Brexit didn't win the referendum!

Brexit definition

Brexit hasn't happened yet!

Because, the Brexit process haven't started yet!

First Article 50 needs to be activated to start the process!

It will takes two years or more!

And at the end will be the Brexit (Britain exiting the EU)!

Edited by rollover

HOLA443
6 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

I wouldn't open the Brexit popcorn just yet. 

After the vote Carney immediately provided £250bn of liquidity to prevent a run on the £, followed up with an additional £60bn of QE and kicked any rise in interest rates into the distant future. In turn Hammond pretty much cancelled any attempt to balance the books. Despite all of this the economy in 2016 has done no better than forecast before the vote, with growth expected to fall to 1.2% this year.      

A bad Brexit was always going to be slow motion (+10 year) car crash.   

HOLA444
11 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

After the vote Carney immediately provided £250bn of liquidity to prevent a run on the £, followed up with an additional £60bn of QE and kicked any rise in interest rates into the distant future. In turn Hammond pretty much cancelled any attempt to balance the books. Despite all of this the economy in 2016 has done no better than forecast before the vote, with growth expected to fall to 1.2% this year.      

Carney's actions made the pound slide worse. Other than that, I agree. 

Remember Blair's miracle economy?  Took 10 years to see the disaster they had made. 

Also, the economy isn't doing well, it is seriously failing many people.  For certain demographics the economy is almost certainly shrinking.  If Brexit works it won't look like this, there will be disruption, or else it hasn't achieved anything. 

HOLA445
15 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Didn't they cut rates as well, or was that just a dream I had? Did that help stop this feared run on the pound?

It's an amazing thing modern economics. The question doesn't matter, the answer is always the same. Lower interest rates and ease "quantatively". :)

HOLA446
22 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

They did all that and more years before the sensible people of this nation voted to Leave. I suppose that's down to Brexit too?

HOLA447
HOLA448
25 minutes ago, BuyToLeech said:

Carney's actions made the pound slide worse. Other than that, I agree. 

Remember Blair's miracle economy?  Took 10 years to see the disaster they had made. 

Also, the economy isn't doing well, it is seriously failing many people.  For certain demographics the economy is almost certainly shrinking.  If Brexit works it won't look like this, there will be disruption, or else it hasn't achieved anything. 

Reshaping the economy is required and could be achieved with or without Brexit.

Although I admit Brexit could be used to provided the cover for taking the hard decisions necessary to achieve it,

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

So they printed money and lowered interest rates - what a novel approach, it's not like they haven't already been doing that since 2008.  As for not balancing the books, the notion that they were ever going to do that was highly dubious.  Didn't the Tories initial deficit cutting plan involve eliminating the deficit by last year or something?

Here's the thing, along with the rest of the so-called 'progressive liberal' media the Guardian made out that a 'pro Brexit'  vote would result in instant economic armageddon.  As they also did shortly afterwards with the US election and the prospect of Trump.  Instead of actually admitting to themselves that they were talking a load of rubbish and had got it totally wrong, they are now scratching their heads as to why this self-evident disaster didn't actually happen and trying to handwave the blame away.

The inability to comprehend why the (to them) unthinkable happened even though it has happened is no different than 'blaming the Russians' or labelling people with different PoVs on election candidates/referenda  as hateful, stupid, xeno/ homo/ trans-phobic bigots who were mislead/ didn't understand what they were doing.  A total inability to accept objective reality and learn from mistakes.

Edited by Sour Mash

HOLA4410

With 3 months until Article 50 is triggered the Brexiteers have no idea what they actually want. It is cringe worthy.

I'd love one of you to actually explain what it is you want to be the outcome and if you honestly expect to get it.

HOLA4411

What Brexiters want is an end to membership of the EU - simple.

How the UK goes about extricating itself from it, what obligations that will entail and the future relationship with the EU are all up for discussion and decision in the future.

Surely not too hard to understand - or do you actually want the UK Government to make a hard decision right now on exactly the deal that they want and reveal it publicly?  If so,  I can only hope you are never negotiating on my behalf or on something affects me.

HOLA4412
3 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

He cut interest rates to lower the pound.

The liquidity was to "calm the markets" i.e. stop people buying cheaper shares. The BoE's sole aim is to stop people buying cheaper anything.

HOLA4413
16 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

He cut interest rates to lower the pound.

The liquidity was to "calm the markets" i.e. stop people buying cheaper shares. The BoE's sole aim is to stop people buying cheaper anything.

The Governbankment's spent eight years and £1.5 trillion holding up prices against a deflationary depression. Brexit is merely a sideshow by comparison.

HOLA4414
5 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

happens.Don't worry Guardian, there will be an economic crash sooner rather than later and you can blame it on Brexit whenever it

Come on at the back we all know it`s because we haven't left yet 

But the pound falling is a disaster that was caused by brexit 

The sjw`s say it will take anything from 10 to a million years to actually leave and then it will be a fudge ...but May`s useless because she has not outlined a plan to leave within six moths  

I say they wan`t the moon on a stick

HOLA4415

Bah.

Reframing this for a second; isn't the primary activity of this site whinging about the crooks that run our toy town economy and the extent to which it's on life support but the masses can't see that?

Why is it then that when the conversation turns to Brexit certain posters roll our the red white and blue and carp on about how great everything is now we've had a referendum which might possibly lead to us being slightly less entangled with the eu than we previously were? 

The fact is none of the underlying structural issues have gone away and arguably many are now coming to fruition courtesy of brexit. The really sad thing is that what a minority of people are hoping for is for a certain demographic to "get their cummupance" and to hell with the rest of the consequences and that's what people really mean by brexit being a success.

Such a political and economic reset could have been a real opportunity in the hands of a real visionary. What we got instead was the Conservative party in hoc to their DM / Express reading, low information and understanding, ******wit electors. No disrespect to the many, many Brexiteers with enormously valid reasons for voting leave but the sad reality is you people are no way near driving the bus on this. 

You'd have to be a seriously self deluding masochist to be close to being satisfied with the way things have panned out since the vote, whether Remainer or Brexiteer.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Timak said:

With 3 months until Article 50 is triggered the Brexiteers have no idea what they actually want. It is cringe worthy.

I'd love one of you to actually explain what it is you want to be the outcome and if you honestly expect to get it.

Simple leave the EU no freedom of movement ....and my crystal ball is not working to the second part 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I will refrain from dwelling on the point we haven't actually left yet (!!!), but both sides don't really know what will happen so just guessing based on their pre-decided view.    Remain said it would be economic cliff edge, and the leave said there is £350m a week to be freed up....would anyone believe either of these?

In respects to the Guardian clinging on to the EU, I would guess they are hanging onto an outgoing world which includes them too, consider this:

1. printed papers are experience falling sales and relevance

2. The main stream media (TV or papers) are losing their direction of the 'public' debate

3. left-wing/SJW views on society are being openly being challenged and other 'alt' opinions now penetrating the public's thinking.

HOLA4419
40 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

Simple leave the EU no freedom of movement ....and my crystal ball is not working to the second part 

What most people seem to fail to grasp is that you cannot leave the country as it is and simply leave the EU.  We would effectively need to start from scratch with a new constitution.

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

What most people seem to fail to grasp is that you cannot leave the country as it is and simply leave the EU.  We would effectively need to start from scratch with a new constitution.

? i`m not planing on going anywhere

The question was what do i want, i answered ,and whats the chances of getting it i answered ....your crystal ball seems to be working 

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

We didn't have a constitution prior to joining the eec, so won't need one when leaving the EU. What we will need to do is to slowly adapt and amend laws. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Just now, One-percent said:

We didn't have a constitution prior to joining the eec, so won't need one when leaving the EU. What we will need to do is to slowly adapt and amend laws. 

We have an unwritten constitution which the EU is now intricately bound up with.  It's arguable that without legislation to unpick everything first, it would be illegal to even begin to invoke article 50.  

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, thecrashingisles said:

We have an unwritten constitution which the EU is now intricately bound up with.  It's arguable that without legislation to unpick everything first, it would be illegal to even begin to invoke article 50.  

We just do what we normally do and make it up as we go along. Politicians have a good history of this, especially when taking us to war (sp Bliar)

HOLA4425
2 minutes ago, One-percent said:

We just do what we normally do and make it up as we go along. Politicians have a good history of this, especially when taking us to war (sp Bliar)

Actually that's an interesting case because Blair had the power to go to war in Iraq without involving parliament at all so all the lying and dodgy dossiers were redundant.