House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delboypass

Measuring Inflation : Tv Licence To Increase 4.5%

OK Inflation is only 2%. So why have government then just increased my TV licence by 4.5%

I dont even watch BBC1. I spend most of my time on Freeview or channel 4 or watching DVD's...

The TV licence should get banned!!!

Council tax by 5%

My gas bills by 8%

etc

etc

Im gettring tired of this. Just found out that Bin Men get £22k a year as well. Buggers graduates then since underground drivers get £35k a year.

Im going on the dole. ill probably be better off and i get to watch trisha!

Edited by delboypass

OK Inflation is only 2%. So why have government then just increased my TV licence by 4.5%

I dont even watch BBC1. I spend most of my time on Freeview or channel 4 or watching DVD's...

The TV licence should get banned!!!

Council tax by 5%

My gas bills by 8%

etc

etc

Im gettring tired of this. Just found out that Bin Men get £22k a year as well. Buggers graduates then since underground drivers get £35k a year.

Im going on the dole. ill probably be better off and i get to watch trisha!

do not get me started on this, i am quite angry about licence :)

OK Inflation is only 2%

Council tax by 5%

My gas bills by 8%

In Norfolk they have sent out a questionnaire on council tax – 12% is the increase for the same service but they are asking us to choose between 3%, 4% or 5% - depending on how reduced you want your services to be (I especially liked picking 3% as x amount of nurses / firemen will get sacked)

Guest Bart of Darkness

In Norfolk they have sent out a questionnaire on council tax – 12% is the increase for the same service but they are asking us to choose between 3%, 4% or 5% - depending on how reduced you want your services to be (I especially liked picking 3% as x amount of nurses / firemen will get sacked)

But no council administrators/management will lose their jobs I take it?

You should all be grateful for the BBC, the rest of the world is. You'll miss it when it's finally gone and we're all watching re-runs of "When Pet's go bad 50" and adverts play for fifty minutes of each hour and every local radio station is playing the same syndicated pap all over the country.

You should all be grateful for the BBC, the rest of the world is. You'll miss it when it's finally gone and we're all watching re-runs of "When Pet's go bad 50" and adverts play for fifty minutes of each hour and every local radio station is playing the same syndicated pap all over the country.

What utter rubbish all my favourite programmes are american or ITV. Favourite channels, discovery, film four, sky one.

I would be delighted to see the bbc end.

And why i'm at it. Why do they think that their radio stations are so great that they should dominate the entire fm band. You flick from radio 2 to radio 2 to radio 2..........

fack em

That kind of confirms your IQ I'm afraid.

Your quote confirms your simplicity and your need to stoop to personal attacks to defend your position. I could give you a barrage of my qualifications and achievements but I don’t need to.

Regarding TV is a source of culture and education is farcical and to consider the BBC as the epicenter of that is simply misguided.

TV is escapism and amusement, the fact that is so centric to your personal view of your position in society is something that perhaps you should reconsider.

Your quote confirms your simplicity and your need to stoop to personal attacks to defend your position. I could give you a barrage of my qualifications and achievements but I don’t need to.

Regarding TV is a source of culture and education is farcical and to consider the BBC as the epicenter of that is simply misguided.

TV is escapism and amusement, the fact that is so centric to your personal view of your position in society is something that perhaps you should reconsider.

Quick, you might miss "Celebrity Fit Club".

Qualifications are no measure of intelligence. I do agree with you that Peach chose a rather unfortunate method in defending his/her position.

I also agree with Peach that the BBC will be missed if it goes. There is a place for public service broadcasting. There is not a need for the BBC to try and compete with commercial output though.

I am therefore not in favour of above inflation increases, however, I feel the increase applied to the license more fairly represents the real rate of inflation.

NDL

Quick, you might miss "Celebrity Fit Club".

I am quite happy to pay for the BBC, but feel they should cut costs.

BBC1 costs £1 billion a year to run.

What high quality programming do they provide?

I'll say it again -

Its to pay for the digital switchover.

The biggest engineering project in the UK since WWII.

When its complete it'll be a universal communications system that the world will admire.

It will bring proper jobs and skills to the UK.

More importantly it will provide exportable technology.

Think of it like the railways 2 centuries ago - Britain led the world, it provided economic and social advantage and allowed an empire <_< to be built.

Considering that 50% (thats nearly 1 in 6!!) of the UK workforce have a primary school level of "noomeracy and litteracy" I would expect a lot of people to moan about it simply because they dont understand it.

As Arthur C Clark said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Give up on criticising this - youre on the internet - you pay for it and you learn.

The potential of a fully integrated national communications system will blow you away.

Pay your TV licence or you'll stifle the development of the most advanced comms system the world has ever know.

Edited by needle

:angry: Quote ''You should all be grateful for the BBC, the rest of the world is.''

While many people enjoy the BBC news etc much of the reporting appears to be biased .

The BBC should be privatised as it is a state run propaganda machine and the license fee should be abolished or alternatively removed for people who wish to opt out of subscribing to the BBC

Those people who pay Cable and Sky subscriptions should be able to delete the BBC channels and not pay a license fee.

Recently it was admitted that the license fee is a backdoor tax.

This very topic was discussed here yesterday(link below)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=22804

As I stated in that thread, I simply refuse to pay the license fee as there is no justification for forcing people to pay for a service they neither want, need or use.

If the state published a newspaper and attempted to force you to buy it, would you be happy with that? How is that different from what the BBC effectively is? A state controlled media outlet that you are forced to pay for, whether or not you want it is irrelevant.

Isn't it time the BBC either sinks or swims based on its own merits as a broadcaster?

As I stated in that thread, I simply refuse to pay the license fee as there is no justification for forcing people to pay for a service they neither want, need or use.

If the state published a newspaper and attempted to force you to buy it, would you be happy with that? How is that different from what the BBC effectively is? A state controlled media outlet that you are forced to pay for, whether or not you want it is irrelevant.

Isn't it time the BBC either sinks or swims based on its own merits as a broadcaster?

Exactly. The sole argument for the funding model of BBC is that is somehow regulates and imposes standards on the rest of the global media.

This grandiose self opinionated outlook is indefensible. Hang on these guys should work for the government. Oh I forgot. They do.

I am quite happy to pay for the BBC, but feel they should cut costs.

BBC1 costs £1 billion a year to run.

What high quality programming do they provide?

news.bbc.co.uk (I know you guys don't agree with some of the editing).

BBC News24

Five Live

Today (Radio 4)

The Office

Have I got News for you

QI

University Challenge

Panorama

Little Britain

Bleak House

Pride and Prejudice (the one with Colin Firth)

Watchdog

Eastenders (not to my taste but watched in umpteen countries)

Newsround (name another news show for kids?)

Grandstand

Horizon

Doctor Who

Catherine Tate

Blackadder

Michael Palin Round the world etc

David Attenborough natural history stuff

Red Dwarf

Top Gear

Alan Partridge

Nighty Night

I could go on. And best of all, none of these show's have commercial breaks. 24 became 20 minutes longer when it moved from BBC2 as did Star Trek Next Gen.

If you want to use flawed analogies, I will too.

Are you one of these people with private healthcare that feels you should have a deduction in taxes because you don't use the NHS?

NDL

You can make a list of shows 100ft long but it doesn't address my issue..

What if I do not want to watch these shows? Why should I pay for them?

How about I list all of the possible application of a household kettle and then use this as a justification that every household in the UK must have a "kettle license" to be renewed annually?

How about I list all of the possible application of a household kettle and then use this as a justification that every household in the UK must have a "kettle license" to be renewed annually?

Why should I pay for the NHS, when my company gives me private healthcare? Why should I pay tax towards schools, when I have no kids? Why should I pay tax to subsidise farmers, when I grow my own food? Why should I pay any national insurance, when I can get a better deal privately? (note: am playing devils advocate).

Edited by Peach

If you want to use flawed analogies, I will too.

Are you one of these people with private healthcare that feels you should have a deduction in taxes because you don't use the NHS?

NDL

I don't use private healthcare and I have no particular stance on the issue you are making.

I think you haven't taken into account the vital word in the statement you quoted

I may not currently use the NHS(I'm not sick), I may even think I don't want it(I'd be mistaken) but the simple fact is that we as a country need it as a health provision. I fail to see how countless episodes of Eastenders can be used in comparison.

Dont stop there. Then list all the old cups of tea that it has boiled water for and then point out that we should continue to pay for the tea that we drank already.

Why should I pay for the NHS, when my company gives me private healthcare?

Addressed in the post above. The health of the entire nation is a very real issue that impacts everyone, whether they have private healthcare or not.

Why should I pay tax towards schools, when I have no kids?

To ensure the economic well being of the country as a whole and that we, as a country, continue to be productive and forward moving

Why should I pay tax to subsidise farmers, when I grow my own food?

A nation that outsources its entire food production is placing itself in grave danger indeed, hence the farming subsidies. What if there were a war or some other event that cut off the supply of food, the health and social implications mean its a neccesity.

The BBC

Without Eastenders we'd all go mad and the nation would collapse, or perhaps not :P

(note: I am playing devils advocate).

I respect your argument, I just don't agree with it. Just because I'm anti-BBC it doesn't mean I'm anti-public services in general :)

Nobody likes paying tax. I agree that the license is too much, but if you have a tv and watch it, you should have to pay a license whilst there is public service broadcasting.

I assume you pay a license to drive a car? This doesn't cover the cost of the road network. I don't drive a car, yet I pay for the roads in general taxation. I have no problem with that because it keeps the country moving.

If public service broadcasting goes, so will "free" tv. You will pay for every channel and they will still be full of adverts.

I really don't think you have thought this through fully.

NDL