House Price Crash Forum

North facing garden

HOLA441

I have my eye on a house which ticks all the boxes (I intend to put in a 30% below asking offer in the spring), apart from it has a long north facing garden.  I was always intent on a south or south west facing garden ... any thoughts?  As the garden is so long will a good proportion of it still get sun late in the day? I'm keen to start gorwing my own fruit and veg so decent sun levels is key.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

http://www.findmyshadow.com/

A girl on our site using her works software to do a shading thingy for where she wanted her shed.

More important is what shades it. If it's buildings then they don't go away. If its big trees you'll have lots of roots and dry soil.
You can grow lots of stuff in not-so-sunny spots. Fruit tastes so much better if it gets plenty of sun.

What's the front garden like?

My front garden is north facing and I grow raspberries and gooseberries in there.

HOLA443
9 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

http://www.findmyshadow.com/

A girl on our site using her works software to do a shading thingy for where she wanted her shed.

More important is what shades it. If it's buildings then they don't go away. If its big trees you'll have lots of roots and dry soil.
You can grow lots of stuff in not-so-sunny spots. Fruit tastes so much better if it gets plenty of sun.

What's the front garden like?

My front garden is north facing and I grow raspberries and gooseberries in there.

OMG that is such a great tool! Thank you. Front garden is smallish but south facing so could have some stuff there at a pinch.

HOLA444

When you say the garden is north facing do you mean it's on a north-facing slope or just the north side of the house? If it's the latter it'll probably be a bit dark at this time of year (most of my front garden doesn't get any direct sunlight at this time of year), but should be fine in summer if nothing else is shading it.

I'm not much of a gardener (although wanting to learn now that I've got a nice, albeit mostly in shadow, garden), but as far as I can tell nothing much in it is suffering from lack of sunlight.

HOLA445

The rear of the house faces north, the garden is flat. Using the tool above I have worked out that even in the height of summer the garden will only be in sun approx 10-5 ... spring autumn its 11-4, in winter its perma shade. Ho hum. No go there then.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
14 minutes ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

The rear of the house faces north, the garden is flat. Using the tool above I have worked out that even in the height of summer the garden will only be in sun approx 10-5 ... spring autumn its 11-4, in winter its perma shade. Ho hum. No go there then.

Surely later and earlier in summer the sun will have moved round and be lighting it from the side? For light in summer mornings and evenings north facing will get more.

Perma-shade in winter isn't really that much of a problem, even if it would be nice to look out on a sunny garden.

edit: Winkie's post has reminded me of the "long" bit, which suggests that the far end will be far enough away to not be affected much by the house.

Would you prefer a north-facing back garden or a north-facing house?

HOLA449
9 minutes ago, ccc said:

So for 3/4 of the year for much of the day it won't be in the shade ?

Wheres the problem !!:wacko:

No those times are when it will be in sun - 7hrs sun in summer, 5hrs sun in spring/autumn, no sun in winter.

HOLA4410

If the garden faces north, then that means that the far wall of the garden (where you want to have a focal point) faces south and is best positioned to grow something worthwhile.  It all depends on how long the garden is and how tall the how is.

HOLA4411
10 minutes ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

No those times are when it will be in sun - 7hrs sun in summer, 5hrs sun in spring/autumn, no sun in winter.

Sounds ok ? 

Hope you don't plan to grow kiwis in the UK !

HOLA4412
12 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Surely later and earlier in summer the sun will have moved round and be lighting it from the side? For light in summer mornings and evenings north facing will get more.

Perma-shade in winter isn't really that much of a problem, even if it would be nice to look out on a sunny garden.

The tool linked to above allows you to plot out all the buildings with heights, plus fences, and recreates the sun at every hour during the day all through the year. But yes some slight from the sides but shadows cast by fences and other houses. The garden is only 5 or 6 meters wide, so a 2m fence can cast quite a shadow.

HOLA4413
11 minutes ago, richc said:

If the garden faces north, then that means that the far wall of the garden (where you want to have a focal point) faces south and is best positioned to grow something worthwhile.  It all depends on how long the garden is and how tall the how is.

Now this is cunning thinking ! 

Far end fruits.

Nearby tatties.

Sorted. 

HOLA4414
29 minutes ago, richc said:

+1

A north facing garden of the right size can actually be much better.  The whole garden other than the bit near the house gets fully illuminated and is much nicer to look at.

HOLA4415

M

39 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

+1

A north facing garden of the right size can actually be much better.  The whole garden other than the bit near the house gets fully illuminated and is much nicer to look at.

I'd rather like to be illuminated too looking out from my lounge, also the solar heating saves pounds on the heating. Perhaps i'm being too greedy and shgould think of the plants.:mellow:

HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

M

I'd rather like to be illuminated too looking out from my lounge, also the solar heating saves pounds on the heating. Perhaps i'm being too greedy and shgould think of the plants.:mellow:

Surely the other side of the house is south facing so the solar heating benefit is the same either way?

HOLA4417
14 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Surely the other side of the house is south facing so the solar heating benefit is the same either way?

I spend nearly all my time in the lounge, that's the room with the stat and the other rooms don't need to be as warm. And it is quite nice to feel the sun especially in winter, cheers me up.

HOLA4418
4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I spend nearly all my time in the lounge, that's the room with the stat and the other rooms don't need to be as warm. And it is quite nice to feel the sun especially in winter, cheers me up.

The back of our house gets lovely sunshine and is therefore warmer than the front which doesn't. The lounge is in the front which I always think is a bit of a pisser but not enough to swap the lounge to the back.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
29 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

The back of our house gets lovely sunshine and is therefore warmer than the front which doesn't. The lounge is in the front which I always think is a bit of a pisser but not enough to swap the lounge to the back.

That was actually my first thought when I read the opening post. Our garden is north west facing but is long enough and with fields on the back to not be a problem. We lose the sun by the patio doors around 3 at high summer but just move down the garden. 

Our living room faces south and is flooded with sun and warmth. 

HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

That was actually my first thought when I read the opening post. Our garden is north west facing but is long enough and with fields on the back to not be a problem. We lose the sun by the patio doors around 3 at high summer but just move down the garden. 

Our living room faces south and is flooded with sun and warmth. 

The lack of that is the biggest gripe with my house (which I otherwise love). Faces north west and even when the sun does get around there there are trees in the way, so it's only summer evenings there's ever light on the front. I get a bit on the back in the morning but there aren't many windows facing that way (bathroom, landing, and through the back door).

HOLA4423

Have north facing garden, long, with trees, so found fruit to be a bit of a fruitless task tbh. Put some smaller fruit bushes out the front maybe. Best not to fight the conditions sometimes and grow what suits the conditions, great salads, runner beans etc makes up for it.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
10 minutes ago, the gardener said:

If the current situation doesn't suit then change it till it does. Us Leave voters aren't afraid of change.

What's your opinion about a north-facing garden though? With your name I'd expect you'd have something to contribute!

Archived