House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Moving to the middle of nowhere

We live in a rural part of Hampshire. Urbanites might describe it as the "middle of nowhere" after coming to one of my parties and driving down single lane backroads, but in reality, it's only 5 miles from the nearest small town.

I'm self-employed and I can work from anywhere.

We could buy a 5 bed detached on the north coast of Scotland for about £120k. I can work from there, probably with satellite based broadband. We can do this on my reliable self-employed salary alone comfortably.

I like peace and quiet. I also like playing the hi-fi at near 100dB. And having parties. As a few on here may attest to: I'm not shy and retiring but I do like the idea of being able to spot seals with binoculars. That sort of thing. Paradox of personality.

I realise that while we might have many spare bedrooms - the parties are only going to happen if there's an airport near enough and I ferry people by car. Can deal with that.

We're quite near to London where we are now and yet we don't go out in London. It's only 40 miles away but involves driving, parking, no drink/drugs, we've never done it. Not once in 7 years of living here. Did it when we were, er, "courting".

I don't need to be anywhere in particular to retain my income. Partner would have to find low-paid local employment or become self-employed in an internet-based capacity. Working on that.

We're probably going to rent first for a year or so.

I see the following drawbacks to living in a remote part of Scotland:

- It will be cold, wet and windy.
- Internet access will be shite. We have 50 down 50 up here via 4G. It's going to be more like 4 down 0.5 up via ADSL or satellite, if we're lucky. Need to check this.
- If one of us has a heart attack we will probably die from it as the hospital will be so far away.
- Need to plan ahead for shopping; there's no "just nip down to the corner shop".
- Depending on what happens with Brexit we may well find ourselves advantaged or disadvantaged.

What have I left out?

Is there any reason not to give this a go?

• Can be a positive, but everyone knows what everyone is doing (everything).
  • Those sorts of places can be highly social -- so long as you 'fit in' you'll be invited to everything, and people might be expected to be invited to yours.  This might not be the privacy you crave.
  • Re. the weather -- it is very often cold, wet and windy, but also very often nice sunny and warm.  Also, don't forget the longer summer days and the shorter winter ones.

Personally I wouldn't do it -- it can work out, but so often the change is a bit too much (perhaps you have to be born to it)... My ancestry is remote mid-Wales, and all sorts used to turn up.  Some succeeded, but many failed -- first year fun, second year serious, third year miserable, gone by 4th.

But why not rent a place up there in mid-winter for 3 months or so?  Might be expensive, but risk-reduction costs money.

Somewhere near Inverness sounds like the sort of area you are looking for.

Airport there has a fair number of flights iirc. Fair size town as well, big hospital and all. 

In terms of weather - if your looking at anywhere in the UK you're looking at it being average !! 

The Moray Firth area does get a surprising amount of nice warm weather actually. 

Winter is self explanatory. If you have problems with that anywhere north of Perth is not for you !!

As already said these wee places can be a little strange. However if you made an effort with the locals I'm sure you would be fine. 

Renting first definitely a good idea.

In terms of your 'living arrangements' I don't think that would be a problem up there. It is total teuchter land but doubt you would have any issues. 

I wouldn't know personally though so a wee trial renting period would be ideal.

Folk up there have always seemed really nice and welcoming when I've popped up for a visit. They can be a little "Wickermanish" on occasion but don't let that put you off !! :D

Any questions on jockland please ask - there are a few of us sweaties on here - I'm sure we are all happy to help. 

Ps - I found Drumnadrochat a rather strange place . 

Safety & Security:

Not Scotland but my Uncles experiences in southern Ireland are an eye opener.

Remote dwellings are an increasing target for robbery. 

It is not unknown for burglars upon finding the property unoccupied to put all the plugs in the sinks and bath and turn all the taps on as they are leaving with their loot. 

Not wanting to sound too generalistic but the Irish are one nation I class as dodgy full stop.

Not to say the same couldn't and does indeed happen in remote places of jockland - but I'd be far less concerned about this than in Ireland.

That sounds to me a very poor second compared to your previous idea of rural Italy.

The one big downer for me of Britain (amongst many advantages) is the dark, damp, cold short days of winter.

I wouldn't be choosing to make that period worse by going somewhere where the winter days will be colder, wetter, windier, shorter and with snow cutting you off when your rural road doesn't get gritted.

An area of remote Scottish coast in the Summer sounds great for a holiday, but I wouldn't want to be there in January.

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Not wanting to sound too generalistic but the Irish are one nation I class as dodgy full stop.

Not to say the same couldn't and does indeed happen in remote places of jockland - but I'd be far less concerned about this than in Ireland.

Lived in pretty remote part of Co Cork for nearly 20 years, and never had any problems. 

Perhaps ccc has been looking at some Hogarth pictures?

Anyway, I quite liked living in Scotland (Aberdeenshire), but others couldn't wait to get out of the place. Depends how remote you want to be. It looked remote, but in fact a big Tesco was 20 minutes walk away.

Unless you're naturally depressive I personally wouldn't opt for the 'middle of nowhere' in Scotland - as mentioned above, Winters..

The rural south west would be a better bet imo if you have to stay in the UK -Newquay has an airport.

At first when you mentioned a 5 bed detached for £120k I thought ''yeah right''.... but having had a quick look on Rightmove yes there are a few.

I then did a search for a maximum of 2 beds (my requirement) in the same area and frustratingly they were coming back at the same price, if not more expensive, than the 5 bed properties.

14 minutes ago, nome said:

At first when you mentioned a 5 bed detached for £120k I thought ''yeah right''.... but having had a quick look on Rightmove yes there are a few.

I then did a search for a maximum of 2 beds (my requirement) in the same area and frustratingly they were coming back at the same price, if not more expensive, than the 5 bed properties.

There is this odd desire for an unnecessarily large house amongst many people; presumably fuelled by HPI and the hope of a speculative gain.

Big houses cost money to run: heating, council tax, large maintenance bills.

They also soak up your time: more rooms to clean, more rooms to decorate, bigger gardens to keep in check.

I'm.not suggesting that everyone live in a studio flat but a bigger house is a pain IMO.  In an area of low prices, as you were searching, people rightly view them as a liability and prefer somewhere smaller.

To be honest, I always recommend anyone with your situation to move to Scarborough.

The Old Town and the villages to North are quite nice.

It close enough to York if you want to shop.

Housing is cheap. And its a long way from Blackpool.

55 minutes ago, spyguy said:

To be honest, I always recommend anyone with your situation to move to Scarborough.

The Old Town and the villages to North are quite nice.

It close enough to York if you want to shop.

Housing is cheap. And its a long way from Blackpool.

I would second this mark. Or, if you feel the need to fly quite easily, then nearer to teesport, up the Esk valley is very nice 

3 minutes ago, mattydread said:

I think we need a sub off topic for the NE :lol:

The NE + Yorkshire regional forums have barely moved esp. the NE one.

2 hours ago, uptherebels said:

Lived in pretty remote part of Co Cork for nearly 20 years, and never had any problems. 

Your dogs are doing a fine job !!

DTMark - You don't really seem to say why you want to do it outside of you like peace and quiet, which I assume you have already. 

My girlfriend and I considered something similar, however a couple of weeks in Scotland were enough to tell us it wasn't going to work for us. Even that very short period told us enough. She is from Ireland and we could happily live "remotely" there. There just didn't seem to be any sort of community hub in Scotland at all even for a reasonably large cluster of houses.

While the remoteness and isolation in theory would be great it needs to come with at least something resembling civilisation a mile or two away. 

1 minute ago, gilf said:

DTMark - You don't really seem to say why you want to do it outside of you like peace and quiet, which I assume you have already. 

My girlfriend and I considered something similar, however a couple of weeks in Scotland were enough to tell us it wasn't going to work for us. Even that very short period told us enough. She is from Ireland and we could happily live "remotely" there. There just didn't seem to be any sort of community hub in Scotland at all even for a reasonably large cluster of houses.

While the remoteness and isolation in theory would be great it needs to come with at least something resembling civilisation a mile or two away. 

How many places did you try ?

Most places - even small - will have a community hub - it's known as the "Local" :huh:

2 minutes ago, gilf said:

I took it to be that this was the reason:

We could buy a 5 bed detached on the north coast of Scotland for about £120k.

So going back to the good old days of being able to buy your home without a crippling mortgage.  There's a lot to be said for that but I couldn't face the Scottish winters.

Just now, ccc said:

How many places did you try ?

Most places - even small - will have a community hub - it's known as the "Local" :huh:

Well that was really the problem, it seemed as if there were loads of places that didn't have a local. We did loads of driving over the two weeks, went past loads of places. 

Obviously contrasted with Ireland, where anywhere with more than about 4 houses is legally required to have a pub, if not two.