House Price Crash Forum

Why the industrial revolution happened here

Guest TheBlueCat

HOLA441
Guest TheBlueCat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz9d6

Just watched this and thought it was really good. I have no idea how it got past the BBC thought police but I bet it would have most of them spitting tacks if they'd noticed.

A few points it out across:

State control (France) bad, free enterprise good (Britain).

Slaves were largely purchased from African rulers rather than captured directly.

The a Empire was a force for good in many ways.

etc.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I've always thought we owe a lot to Cromwell & the Reformation too. With the break from Rome, people could think more freely.

Obviously free thinking is something the current establishment hate.. which is why everything is going wrong..

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat
11 minutes ago, Unbowed said:

I've always thought we owe a lot to Cromwell & the Reformation too. With the break from Rome, people could think more freely.

Obviously free thinking is something the current establishment hate.. which is why everything is going wrong..

Yes, old warty face got a hat tip for shifting control over spending to parliament and generally decentralizing power.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest TheBlueCat
17 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

Could it be BBC (&others) have started to realise they've been pushing their luck this last couple of decades?

More likely they consciously make a few programmes likely to be watched by about three people's so they can claim balance without actually providing it in any meaningful way.

im watching Jonathan Meades on Fascism now which also doesn't fit the leftie world view but, similarly, won't be seen by more than a handful of people.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Being an island nation. So we were well trained in sea-faring which led to us being able to explore the rest of the world. Having only a limited amount of land as well must have encouraged us to venture out and look for resources elsewhere. Those stolen resources made us rich which funded the technological developments for factories.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Politicians? At a guess 

And the Vagrancy Act of 1824...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

And the Vagrancy Act of 1824...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I always knew they were tramps 

HOLA4414
26 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

More likely they consciously make a few programmes likely to be watched by about three people's so they can claim balance without actually providing it in any meaningful way.

im watching Jonathan Meades on Fascism now which also doesn't fit the leftie world view but, similarly, won't be seen by more than a handful of people.

I love Jonathan Meades, hope that's on catch up :) .

HOLA4415
Guest TheBlueCat
6 minutes ago, Rave said:

I love Jonathan Meades, hope that's on catch up :) .

Me too. I loved his programme on Nazi architecture from back in the 90s and this one on Fascist architecture didn't disappoint. 

HOLA4416
11 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

Being an island nation. So we were well trained in sea-faring which led to us being able to explore the rest of the world. Having only a limited amount of land as well must have encouraged us to venture out and look for resources elsewhere. Those stolen resources made us rich which funded the technological developments for factories.

The British weren't the great seafaring explorers, that was more the Portuguese and Spanish. By the time Britain had its act together there wasn't much left to discover (Eastern Australia, the Canadian Arctic, a few islands in the South Pacific, Antarctica).

HOLA4417
11 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Me n the wife were annoyed by the silly graphics and sound effects in Jonathan Meades on Fascism, otherwise it was a good program.

Re the OP - great show and I'm glad they covered the vital contribution that coal mining made to the UKs ability to manufacture stuff. There's way too much emphasis given to generals and kings in history lessons, but all nations had those. It was the UK that had MWs more available energy in the 18th & 19th centuries than enabled the trading empire to be built. 

HOLA4418
11 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

It might have helped, but it was from sufficient in itself - Britain's stolen loot was minute compared to Spain and Portugal, yet those 2 nations never had an Industrial Revolution. Spain in particular seemed to piss away all its riches in magnificent churches.

HOLA4419

Well , you would have to presuppose there must be a confluence of factors. Rule of law, reasonable degree of personal freedom, lack of theocratic control, a good supply of metal and abundant fuel, established and reliable trade infrastructure. It does seem like the socio-political backdrop was the missing piece of the puzzle as it all started to kick off less than one generation after the "glorious revolution", while the religious aspects, natural resources, and trade infrastructure were already in place long before.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
20 hours ago, One-percent said:

Was talking to a retired sea captain a couple of weeks ago who said that the British flag is now a flag of convenience 

What? Like bumpaper? You should tell Captain le Frog, to set sail for Hartlepool, immediately

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 minute ago, onlyme2 said:

Missed the programme but can recommend a weekend at Coalbrookdale/Ironbridge if history of the industrial revolution floats your boat.

We did that years ago with the kids, very good and well done.  I especially remember the chemist shop

Archived