House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Itching

For months now I've had sporadic all over body itching.  Can't see any external factors and the skin isn't dry or flaky.  I think it's histamine related. When it happens I also can't sleep (More so than could be explained by just the itching). It tends to get worse at night but is pretty unpleasant at the moment. I don't eat grains and only dairy is the occasional milk chocolate item. Every time I think I've identified the culprit, it comes back!

Had enough now and going to the Doctor's tomorrow but just wondered if anyone else had experience of similar. 

Oh yes. Very much so.

In my case: house dust mite allergy. Confirmed by a pin-***** allergy test - got a referral for that and it was done at a local hospital.

Nothing to do with diet or indeed anything else.

Kicks off when the weather is damp and the central heating has been going for a while. This provides the creatures with the perfect conditions for multiplying and crapping everywhere.

Never put the same clothes back on after a shower or bath, change the towels and bed linen regularly, hoover the bedroom, don't go to bed straight after a bath.

Much more entertaining reading about this allergy with lovely pictures of the creatures on the internet.

3 minutes ago, chronyx said:

For months now I've had sporadic all over body itching.  Can't see any external factors and the skin isn't dry or flaky.  I think it's histamine related. When it happens I also can't sleep (More so than could be explained by just the itching). It tends to get worse at night but is pretty unpleasant at the moment. I don't eat grains and only dairy is the occasional milk chocolate item. Every time I think I've identified the culprit, it comes back!

Had enough now and going to the Doctor's tomorrow but just wondered if anyone else had experience of similar. 

This happened to me once. Turned out I was allergic to the powder my clothes had been washed in. Switched back to one I had used before, end of problem.

Interesting DTMark.  Worth asking for that test you think?

Good thinking Freeholder but I've tried bio/non-bio and double warm rinsing everything (Manually adding hot water to the machine to get all the remaining soap out).  No difference sadly

A couple of possible clues to HDM allergy:

It's worse when it's been raining for a while.

And when the central heating is working hard and the room is warm.

Which is the reason for not going to bed when you're still warm from a bath.

In my case - I'll be fine when I get into bed, ready to fall asleep.

I'll just be on the verge of nodding off then the top of my head (usually) will itch. Then the side of my body in contact with the sheets, the one I'm lying on.

Then everywhere, randomly. Really urgent itching that needs scratching and can't be ignored.

By which point I'm wide awake.

This drove me mad for years. Can't be cured but can be mitigated against. Didn't have this allergy as a child, came on in later life.

An allergic reaction to a particular fabric softener would be preferable.

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Just to be cheerful: major symptom of liver failure. It's probably not that if you're otherwise healthy.

Healthy enough as far as I know, do you know if that's a preliminary or advanced symptom? :lol: I haven't gone yellow yet

3 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Interesting DTMark.  Worth asking for that test you think?

Good thinking Freeholder but I've tried bio/non-bio and double warm rinsing everything (Manually adding hot water to the machine to get all the remaining soap out).  No difference sadly

Have a look at the other symptoms and see if they match?

It's also (I remember this from when I was investigating it) caused by an overactive thyroid which in turn can cause sleep difficulty. Look up "hyperthyroidism".

My thyroid is actually slightly under-performing and it's not that.

Just now, chronyx said:

Healthy enough as far as I know, do you know if that's a preliminary or advanced symptom? :lol: I haven't gone yellow yet

Definitely an advanced symptom. You haven't got advanced stage liver failure though, you'd be feeling like absolute crap in multiple different ways if you did.

Just now, DTMark said:

A couple of possible clues to HDM allergy:

It's worse when it's been raining for a while.

And when the central heating is working hard and the room is warm.

Which is the reason for not going to bed when you're still warm from a bath.

In my case - I'll be fine when I get into bed, ready to fall asleep.

I'll just be on the verge of nodding off then the top of my head (usually) will itch. Then the side of my body in contact with the sheets, the one I'm lying on.

Then everywhere, randomly. Really urgent itching that needs scratching and can't be ignored.

By which point I'm wide awake.

This drove me mad for years. Can't be cured but can be mitigated against. Didn't have this allergy as a child, came on in later life.

An allergic reaction to a particular fabric softener would be preferable.

That does sound very similar...do you only get it at home though? As I've had 'episodes' while away and even out of the country.

13 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Oh yes. Very much so.

In my case: house dust mite allergy. Confirmed by a pin-***** allergy test - got a referral for that and it was done at a local hospital.

Nothing to do with diet or indeed anything else.

Kicks off when the weather is damp and the central heating has been going for a while. This provides the creatures with the perfect conditions for multiplying and crapping everywhere.

Never put the same clothes back on after a shower or bath, change the towels and bed linen regularly, hoover the bedroom, don't go to bed straight after a bath.

Much more entertaining reading about this allergy with lovely pictures of the creatures on the internet.

Just to add, in the morning when you get out of bed leave the bed uncovered to cool down as remaking your bed straight away keeps it nice and warm for hours afterwards... and is a breeding ground for dust mites.

You have to wash bed linen above 60 degrees in order to kill off dust mites. Nice long above 60 degree wash.

I get an occasional insatiable itch, usually in a very small and specific area on the side or back of my neck, no sign at all of any dryness or rash on the skin, the itch really does feel like it's actually under my skin and the more I scratch the itchier it becomes!

Just now, chronyx said:

That does sound very similar...do you only get it at home though? As I've had 'episodes' while away and even out of the country.

Not just at home but our house has perfect conditions for the creatures to multiply. It's an old stone-built cottage with no double-glazing so no trickle vents and the windows stay firmly shut when it's really cold as you can't just have them e.g. half a centimetre open. It also has a chimney which the rain can drip into, it's "staggered" so you don't get rain trickling down it, but it does allow dampness from the outside to get in.

Just now, Reebo said:

Anyone else getting an itch just reading this topic?

Me, but I guess that's cheating.

55 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Scabies?
Liver disease?
Crabs?

42 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Are you eyes yellow?

*you might just be a wolf.

8 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Are you eyes yellow?

*you might just be a wolf.

A bit tired looking and red, but not yellow (But not shiny bright white either :lol:)

1 hour ago, This time said:

I had this recently, figured out that it was probably Lenor fabric softener that was doing it.

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

Just to be cheerful: major symptom of liver failure. It's probably not that if you're otherwise healthy.

Hopefully you weren't drinking the Lenor. That could really mess with you Liver.

Just now, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Hopefully you weren't drinking the Lenor. That could really mess with you Liver.

At least it's soft and fluffy now

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

I would sell my house and bet the whole lot that you have raised Urate levels.  (Uric Acid) in your blood.

Do you like a drink?

Not especially...I have an occasional whisky in the evening but I'm not a daily drinker.  Interesting idea though, would the lack of drink rule it out?

8 minutes ago, chronyx said:

At least it's soft and fluffy now

Not especially...I have an occasional whisky in the evening but I'm not a daily drinker.  Interesting idea though, would the lack of drink rule it out?

No.

Are you pregnant?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there rubbing, chafing,
Doubting, itching dreams no mortal ever dared to scratch before;
    But the blisters were unbroken, and the ointments gave no token,
    And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, “Lenor?”
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, “Lenor!”—
            Merely this and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, happy_renting said:
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there rubbing, chafing,
Doubting, itching dreams no mortal ever dared to scratch before;
    But the blisters were unbroken, and the ointments gave no token,