House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Beer on demand, parties every weekend and an on-site sauna: Inside Britain's first 'luxury commune' where residents pay £1,200 to share a 'twodio' - with NO bills

Beer on demand, parties every weekend and an on-site sauna: Inside Britain's first 'luxury commune' where residents pay £1,200 to share a 'twodio' - with NO bills

The 550-room commune, based in a 11-storey tower in Willesden, north west London, is now full seven months after opening, with the oldest resident just 44. Residents share 'twodio' apartments - a 100sq ft private room and bathroom with a kitchen split between two people (pictured is Melissa Panero, 21, in her bedroom). They also pay no bills and have access to a cleaner, linen changes, a roof-top terrace, library, games room, spa, sauna, cinema and a weekly drinks party in its bar (top and bottom right). The tower is quickly earning a reputation as Britain's 'most glamorous halls of residence' for young professionals (inset), with staff on hand to do the simplest of tasks, such as changing a lightbulb. But some of its older residents have admitted they worried they might not fit in because they are in their thirties. And with a large number of people from foreign countries living there, some fear Brexit could also shatter the multi-cultural community when EU freedom of movement ends.

So you pay £1200 a month and have no bills.....  An excellent article from the Wail....

2 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Yeah. It's just one big bill instead of lots of little ones. 

I pay lots of bills, but when you add them all up it's less than £1200 a month.

Actually, this looks like a good idea as first accommodation for graduates.  I am however very surprised they have managed to fill it at £850-£1200 a month for a 100 sqft room. 

But the more of such things will get built, the further all rental prices will eventually fall.  

TBH, I don't think its that bad an idea, especially if the choice is between somewhere like there or a room in a slumlord's HMO - which in London would probably cost a similar amount. 

5 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Seamless transition, just cut out the middle bit - i.e the bit with your own home and kids.

That was what I was thinking - from cradle to grave

It's still getting on for £14,000/£15,000 a year.  

With the extras etc it's probably reasonable for London at the moment if each occupant only pays half of that as a result of the share.

57 minutes ago, billybong said:

It's still getting on for £14,000/£15,000 a year.  

With the extras etc it's probably reasonable for London at the moment if each occupant only pays half of that as a result of the share.

My interpretation of the article is that it's £1200 per room.  Although it is DM; the numbers could easily be anything, spacebucks per nanoWales, etc.

It sounds pretty good, as far as it goes. I would have loved this when I was 25... But at 850-1200 a month, that's crazy. 

Communal living should give some efficiency and cost savings. Each person only has 10sqm of their own space!! If this was priced at say 500 a month, probably 100-150 UNDER the going rate for a room locally, then it would be attractive. Can't believe they've filled it at the prices stated

Apologies, I just took a look at Willesden house share prices and looks like 600 is about the bottom and 650-700 is most common, with some up at 800. I was thinking 650 would be about average, but looks like the rents have gone up, innit. 

Still, even with the added amenities (which don't include much free beer from the detail of the article!), communal living should be saving you a bit, not costing extra. 

2 hours ago, satch said:

There was a time when students graduated, left the halls of residence and bought houses and flats, now they just get room at the slightly better halls of residence.

ah but it is all their own faults, if they had not wasted all their money on ipads....

At the £850, it's not too bad. You can easily pay £500+ for a grotty room in a grim area and bills on top. I always rather liked my house shares when I was single - but that was only up to half a dozen people. 500+ people, I'm afraid that would give me the fear. 

11 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

With all those 'laid on' activities it reminds me of a care home.

FFS, A cube home, 100 sq ft is 8% less than a 15 ft shipping container 

http://www.shippingcontainersuk.com/info/shipping_and_storage_container_dimension_charts.php

You can buy a like new one trip 20 ft container for £2k 

The Brighton Homeless, get 3 times the space.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28035388

We need folks to get organised into co-housing projects in shipping containers or similar metal framed barn type structures to compete with these developer middle men, or the ' forever student' generation are going to get milked like cattle forever.  

10 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Seamless transition, just cut out the middle bit - i.e the bit with your own home and kids.

The student debt, has seen to that 

10 hours ago, satch said:

There was a time when students graduated, left the halls of residence and bought houses and flats, now they just get room at the slightly better halls of residence.

Hell Halls is other people 

There's even their own weight watchers club :unsure:

Eesidents Jamie Finn, Chloe Boulos, Richard Morrice, Lisa Henwood, Victoria Hardy, Richard Territt and Ed Thomas in the common room

Young people have children....Then what?

I do recall in the past at least two big companies providing central London accommodation for young employees who moved to work in London from all over the country, not dissimilar to that....I think they had a great time and made lots of friends, worked well until they could become more independent.;)

5 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

FFS, A cube home, 100 sq ft is 8% less than a 15 ft shipping container 

http://www.shippingcontainersuk.com/info/shipping_and_storage_container_dimension_charts.php

You can buy a like new one trip 20 ft container for £2k 

The Brighton Homeless, get 3 times the space.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28035388

We need folks to get organised into co-housing projects in shipping containers or similar metal framed barn type structures to compete with these developer middle men, or the ' forever student' generation are going to get milked like cattle forever.  

The cost of construction isn't the barrier, never really has been, it's the land and planning issues. 

I spent a good couple of years going down that avenue before giving up, it's just not possible in the UK. There have been some brilliant projects along these lines over the last 20 years or so, all died on their **** due to a total lack of landing being made available and the number of hoops you need to jump through to get anywhere close to doing something like this. 

10 minutes ago, gilf said:

The cost of construction isn't the barrier, never really has been, it's the land and planning issues. 

I spent a good couple of years going down that avenue before giving up, it's just not possible in the UK. There have been some brilliant projects along these lines over the last 20 years or so, all died on their **** due to a total lack of landing being made available and the number of hoops you need to jump through to get anywhere close to doing something like this. 

You're right of course, I should have added that land needs to be available. That is part of the problem co-housers / self builder have in competing with developers.

Developers have access to cheaper credit & some give backhanders to EA's / Council staff to get in first on land coming to market .

I'm beginning to think these Local Self-build and Custom House building Registers are a con

www.localselfbuildregister.co.uk 

49 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

You're right of course, I should have added that land needs to be available. That is part of the problem co-housers / self builder have in competing with developers.

Developers have access to cheaper credit & some give backhanders to EA's / Council staff to get in first on land coming to market .

I'm beginning to think these Local Self-build and Custom House building Registers are a con

www.localselfbuildregister.co.uk 

I'm not sure they are a con (only a very brief look), but I think it comes from this sort of mentality where people think self build is in some way cheaper. 

Not helped by the likes of the TV shows, Amazing spaces and Grand Designs which show great house, but while not totally neglecting it certainly down play they fact they went 100% over budget.

It might well have been in the past, but now we all know land is at a massive premium in this country, any land for sale already has it's final value built in to it. Same with places needing major renovations, you genuinely did get wrecks for dirty cheap which with a bit of effort could be returned to their former glory and you got yourself a bargain. i.e £40k, add in £20k renovation costs and you end up with a £100k property, now it's more like £80k + £20k renovation and you end up with a £100k property. 

Same with land with outline planning permission, the final value is already in built, the only reason to self build IMO these days is if you really want something unique to your requirements and even then it has to be shoehorned into building regs and local planning restrictions. Might be worth it for some people but definitely not as a method to reduce costs. 

This is a really good book, it's claims to talk about turning a field into a full small holding, but what it's really about is subverting the planning laws to being a house on land that doesn't have planning permission. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Farm-Real-Smallholding-Book/dp/0956195636

Would be well worth a look if you had land, but I did a ton of research and really not viable if you have to buy the land in the first place. 

People are probably reckoning they can get a good part of that £1200 back on the free beer alone (assuming it is actually free)..  

3 hours ago, libspero said:

People are probably reckoning they can get a good part of that £1200 back on the free beer alone (assuming it is actually free)..  

Free on a Friday with some hours stipulation it seemed by one of the pics.

They are also charging £5 for (I assume) a slice of pizza.  I imagine much of the facilities are rarely used that could actually save the residents some cash.