House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Be remembered as the woman who wet herself on the train

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/02/paralympian-anne-wafula-strike-wet-herself-train-no-accessible-toilet

“I’ll probably be remembered as that woman who wet herself on the train. I could have kept quiet but I hope that by speaking out other wheelchair users who use public transport won’t be subjected to the same experience I had.

UK trains are not fit for purpose for the volumes of people they have to carry. Lacking the correct amenities is just one of the many issues. And they want to get rid of guards, who can help people on the trains.

double_decker_train-513x330_647_12091502

^They have these in India

Basically, we need the whole infrastructure overhauled. Double decker trains, double decker platforms.Longer platforms. Yes, all tunnels and all bridges will need changing. But we have more people in the country - so there must be more wealth to contribute to renewing this infrastructure. How did they cope when they were first building the railways with hardly any passengers?

I've heard two elderly people on the radio locally saying about wetting themselves in certain towns in Cornwall because of the mass closure of public conveniences. Good on them for overcoming their embarrassment.

When you talk about human rights then the right to be able to have a wee with some degree of privacy must be one of them.

1 minute ago, 200p said:

UK trains are not fit for purpose for the volumes of people they have to carry. Lacking the correct amenities is just one of the many issues. And they want to get rid of guards, who can help people on the trains.

Basically, we need the whole infrastructure overhauled. Double decker trains, double decker platforms.Longer platforms. Yes, all tunnels and all bridges will need changing. But we have more people in the country - so there must be more wealth to contribute to renewing this infrastructure. How did they cope when they were first building the railways with hardly any passengers?

The eminently sensible Alastair Morton when chairman of National Rail in the 90s wanted to extend all platforms at London terminuses so that additional carriages could be added to reduce overcrowding.

"Fine", said the rail authority, "but not only do you have to build the extension up to full modern standards; you have to rebuild the entire platform to these standards."

National Rail only had the money to extend the platforms, not to rebuild the entire platform. So they never got extended, the existing platforms stayed at the same standard anyway, and the trains have become ever more overcrowded twenty years on.

It makes you proud.

That's shocking, but unfortunately no surprise. I hope they get publicaly shamed for it.

The number of times trains are running without basic things functioning astounds me. How hard can it be to keep a toilet in working order?

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've heard two elderly people on the radio locally saying about wetting themselves in certain towns in Cornwall because of the mass closure of public conveniences. Good on them for overcoming their embarrassment.

When you talk about human rights then the right to be able to have a wee with some degree of privacy must be one of them.

These days you have to find an open supermarket or pub or suchlike even if you don't want to buy anything - otherwise you are at risk of being considered to have broken the law if done in public, crazy as it might seem.  

The situation is pretty medieval and the provision is totally inadequate - to say the least.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q809.htm

Yes, it is an offence to urinate in a public place. This is normally in breach of a local by-law.

The toilet was out of order.

You have two options:

1. Employ more maintenance people to fix issues quicker (unlikely as we see on the surface that they want to get rid of guards)

2. Have more carriages with disabled toilets so if one breaks you have a backup, but you lose seats as these toilets take up more space, and more complaints because more  people have to stand.

If you have double decker trains, this becomes less of an issue.

They will need to think about option 2.

According to a rail forum I read when some people formally complained about the toilets being out of order on Northern trains the company reply claimed they were a 'luxury'.

I can understand short stop commuter trains with journey times of less than 30 minutes not having functioning toilets but surely not Cross Country Services lasting hours.

Of course on Southern Rail the lady in the OP would have been lucky to find a train turning up - toilets or no toilets  - on which she could wet herself.

38 minutes ago, billybong said:

These days you have to find an open supermarket or pub or suchlike even if you don't want to buy anything - otherwise you are at risk of being considered to have broken the law if done in public, crazy as it might seem.  

The situation is pretty medieval and the provision is totally inadequate - to say the least.

We have a strange sequence of events.  First in 'the olden days' people would urinate in the street.  Then, reasonably, they introduce lots of public toilets, so that people don't urinate in the street.  Then, after a while they need to discourage the stragglers, so they make a bylaw to stop public urination.   All fine.

Then they close the public toilets.  But what are you supposed to do now?

I think there should be a (national) law that says that if a public toilet is closed you're allowed to urinate in public.  Sounds disgusting, but it would focus minds.

1 hour ago, 200p said:

double_decker_train-513x330_647_12091502

^They have these in India

They had an empire with money and plunder flowing in therefrom. Not so today. :(

Actually, in India people have no problem urinating in public, or having a crap in the gutter.:mellow:

1 hour ago, 200p said:

But we have more people in the country - so there must be more wealth to contribute to renewing this infrastructure. How did they cope when they were first building the railways with hardly any passengers?

They were funded and built by the private sector without much state interference. The investors imagined early trains would be more popular than they actually were..  and then ultimately ended up losing their shirts. So basically they were a gift from the very wealthy to the rest of the population.. and we were left with some of the most beautiful architecture in the country.  In a way it would actually be a shame to rip out all the Victorian tunnels and bridges and rebuild them for double decker size trains..  that's a sentimental notion though.

1 minute ago, libspero said:

They were funded and built by the private sector without much state interference. The investors imagined early trains would be more popular than they actually were..  and then ultimately ended up losing their shirts. So basically they were a gift from the very wealthy to the rest of the population.. and we were left with some of the most beautiful architecture in the country.  In a way it would actually be a shame to rip out all the Victorian tunnels and bridges and rebuild them for double decker size trains..  that's a sentimental notion though.

The 20th century equivalent was the Channel Tunnel.

I lost about two grand on that.

On every train journey I made from Lichfield City to Birmingham last year both the stations toilets and those on the carriages were out of order. I expect this will still be the case and would say it's a matter of company policy 'cheapness' over maintenance, cleaners and hygiene services (bog roll/soap) which I assume is expensive.

Frank paid to connect us to France?:huh:

1 hour ago, billybong said:

Or a McSh*t.

And if shamed into buying something there at the same time, a McSh*t with Lies.  

1 hour ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Of course on Southern Rail the lady in the OP would have been lucky to find a train turning up - toilets or no toilets  - on which she could wet herself.

Several of the trains on the Brighton to Portsmouth line have no toilets. Southern's official advice if you need a wee is to wait for the next station, get off and use the toilet there. Then wait for the next train.

1 hour ago, 200p said:

The toilet was out of order.

You have two options:

1. Employ more maintenance people to fix issues quicker (unlikely as we see on the surface that they want to get rid of guards)

2. Have more carriages with disabled toilets so if one breaks you have a backup, but you lose seats as these toilets take up more space, and more complaints because more  people have to stand.

If you have double decker trains, this becomes less of an issue.

They will need to think about option 2.

The cost of upgrading the entire infrastructure (if you're going for No. 2, pun intended) would be massive. It's not just upgrading clearance for bridges and tunnels- it would require the construction of entirely new rail corridors. 

Cheaper would be to fly every disabled passenger by helicopter 

1 minute ago, Captain Cavey said:

The cost of upgrading the entire infrastructure (if you're going for No. 2, pun intended) would be massive. It's not just upgrading clearance for bridges and tunnels- it would require the construction of entirely new rail corridors. 

Cheaper would be to fly every disabled passenger by helicopter 

Not if you need a helicopter with a toilet built after a public sector procurement exercise :)

My home town (Stockport) started a Community Toilets scheme where businesses were paid to allow passers-by to use their loos during certain times. (Pubs,cafes,libraries etc) I can't find a nationwide website where you can just put a postcode in to check,which would be very useful.Seems you have to google a particular town + Community Toilets Scheme.Better than nothing though.

1 hour ago, libspero said:

No need.  Simply dig down and lay the tracks a bit lower.  This would have the double benefit of allowing re-use of the extensive barge fleet for transportation during flooding.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Its not like it something only some of us have to do..we all have to wee and poo.

1 hour ago, RentingForever said:

Several of the trains on the Brighton to Portsmouth line have no toilets. Southern's official advice if you need a wee is to wait for the next station, get off and use the toilet there. Then wait for the next train.

Yeah right.

Perhaps Southern would show me where the toilets are on the platforms at some of the stations. Presumably hiding under the same cloak of invisibility used by the staff that I am supposed to notify if I see anything suspicious, criminal, dangerous etc. The journey time from Brighton to Portsmouth is 1 hour 20 minutes and there is one three carriage toiletless train an hour if it bothers to turn up