2017, The autoself destruct sequence is initiated for the MSM

200p

HOLA441
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

The Guardian has this piece today:

"Inside Britain’s sharia councils: hardline and anti-women – or a dignified way to divorce?"

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/mar/01/inside-britains-sharia-councils-hardline-and-anti-women-or-a-dignified-way-to-divorce

I would quote bits of it, but, for the Guardian, it's a surprisingly balanced piece.

But you read it, and think "this is a non-issue". To be frank: nobody gives a s***.

The gist of it: some cultures (note the pluralisation) still have (IMO) backward-thinking attachments to religion that limit them. In particular, limit them in their usage of the entitlements and rights that they have in this country, hard-won after hundreds of years.

Now, the thing that limits most of us, most of the time, is indeed ourselves. Our preconceptions and beliefs, largely about what is possible for us. Whether those beliefs are centred in religion or not.

Apart from some people whose culture is limiting them. In this country, with the freedoms and rights that we have under the law, that is a self-imposed limitation.

Some of the stories included within the piece are indeed harrowing. But they're not specific to that culture. And the same remedies are available to everyone regardless of religion.

"There is nothing to see here".

HOLA443

Seems relevant.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/157781771791/television-is-training-me-to-not-watch-television

Way back in olden times when there were only a few television channels, I enjoyed watching television. I was happy with it most of the time. But in recent years, my television has trained me to stop watching it. 

My cable company now offers hundreds of options. That means I can’t find a show within five minutes of searching, and my patience no longer lasts five minutes. My smart phone trained me to have a far shorter attention span than television demands. Mindlessly searching for TV shows among the hundreds of options feels like putting my brain in jail.

If you add one person to the room with me, the odds of finding a mutually-acceptable show that neither of us have already watched approaches zero. But I look anyway, failing at every stage.

<snip>

I can’t watch any of those commercials without feeling bad. And that bad feeling is associated with the news channel that carries those commercials. If you associate a bad feeling with a good product for long enough, the good product will become intolerable.

I see no hope of television surviving in the long run if they stick with their current business model of training their customers to hate the entire television experience.

On the plus side, Netflix has a good user experience. I can see why they are doing well

HOLA444

Archived