House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Sick + Elderly

Mum finally called out the doctor. Shoulf be here in the next few hours. Been suffering with a cold for at least two weeks. It must be pretty bad, as she hates bothering the doctor, hates taking medicines, hates hospitals. I don't think there's much they will be able to do though. I think she is just exhausted and maybe even muscle damaged from all the coughing. I expect they will be probably prescribe some precautionary antibiotics against possible infection. Something that suppressed the cough reflex would be nice.

Problem is, its really hard getting the truth out of her. She is terrified of saying the wrong thing, and after about 5 minutes she will start thinking she has taken up too much of the important man's time, and just say she's fine now.

And how are you feeling today?

You tell me! You're the f8cking doctor.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

And how are you feeling today?

You tell me! You're the f8cking doctor.

And the receptionist gets me:

"Hallo, could I make an appointment to see the doctor please?"

"could you tell me what's wrong with you please?

"well if I knew that, I wouldn't need to see the fecking doctor, would i" 

:lol:

wishing your mum mum better soon steppin 

Seems to be going around. My mum's had one for over a week (although it finally seems to be clearing up). My sister had a cough that lasted a lot longer before she finally went to the doctor, and found she had pneumonia. Hopefully your case isn't as serious as that. There seem to be rather a lot of people around snuffling, coughing, and sounding croaky right now.

You need to be with her and lead her; we all suppress our problems a bit but she sounds like she would say she was "fine" whatever it was.

Yes there is a nasty cough going about.

Thanks for the support. I am really crap at being responsible for other human beings.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

You need to be with her and lead her; we all suppress our problems a bit but she sounds like she would say she was "fine" whatever it was.

Trouble is, she doesn't even like talking with family about illness. It is really frustrating trying to get the details out of her.

It is an annoying cold. I think I probably gave it to her before Xmas. I was coughing for only a couple of days, buy I can still feel it lingering somewhere in my bowels. I probably keep reinfecting her. It seems to cone in cycles. Sometimes she's fine for a few hours or even all day, then it comes back worse.

Last time my mum was ill, I had to do some emotional blackmail to get her to go to hospital. "Do you want me to have another stroke, trying to look after you?" She had an Addison's crisis - BP of 70/40 and dropping. She didn't want to waste their time. :rolleyes:

I hope your your mum is soon better, Steppen. 

By the way, she's not the Queen, is she??

Prince Steppy?

Where's my new year gong? Parents don't like to make a fuss, in case they worry you.

15 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Last time my mum was ill, I had to do some emotional blackmail to get her to go to hospital. "Do you want me to have another stroke, trying to look after you?" She had an Addison's crisis - BP of 70/40 and dropping. She didn't want to waste their time. :rolleyes:

I hope your your mum is soon better, Steppen. 

By the way, she's not the Queen, is she??

Good idea. I'll tell her she doesn't want bossybabe to have another stroke . Gongs all round when I make king.

I don't know if colds are more vicious than ever these days. Perhaps we should adopt what the Hong Kong people do, and walk around with masks.

This is the 3rd cold I've had this winter.

3 minutes ago, 200p said:

I don't know if colds are more vicious than ever these days. Perhaps we should adopt what the Hong Kong people do, and walk around with masks.

This is the 3rd cold I've had this winter.

I've had (wiai) tonsilitis for just over a week. Am nearly better now. I normally avoid germs by avoiding people but some git has infiltrated that and I've spent Christmas sober and unwell.
Inlaws had cold yesterday so no doubt with get that too now. :(
Have told people I don't want to go when they have a cold. Is that very antisocial?

Ditto, know a couple of otherwise healthy people who've had colds they cannot shift for the last couple of weeks. Must be a new strain.

Antibiotics, as expected. Normally I' m against, but maybe makes sense for the elderly and vulnerable. My dad always used to perk up a bit whenever he was prescribed penecillin. I guess it just gave his immune system a bit of a rest.

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Yes there is a nasty cough going about.

Ive had something for a few weeks. Tired and rough voice. Not bad but not going.

Last time im french kissing the Queen.

Hope your Mum makes a full recovery soon SP.

The older generation don't like to complain. They can remember a time when there were threats to the person that could not be resolved by a decent duration power cut (tho fools that we've become we flock around any gennie within 10 miles just to juice up our personal-pocket-paranoia-promoters).

1 hour ago, pl1 said:

Ditto, know a couple of otherwise healthy people who've had colds they cannot shift for the last couple of weeks. Must be a new strain.

I think it might be a mild strain of flu.

I had seinr flu last yearKnacked me, struggled up hills.

On 1/2/2017 at 5:27 PM, spyguy said:

I think it might be a mild strain of flu.

I had seinr flu last yearKnacked me, struggled up hills.

It was hacking cough. All over the news the last few days.

My mother had it for about 6 weeks, it kept coming and going.

As people get older they get more reluctant to call out doctors due to the worry that they will end up hospitalised. Not many people get to be old without realising that the NHS likes to enforce things on elderly people, take away their freedoms and ultimately kill them off.

This is usually the main reason why older people want nothing to do with doctors - the NHS kills old people.

23 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

As people get older they get more reluctant to call out doctors due to the worry that they will end up hospitalised. Not many people get to be old without realising that the NHS likes to enforce things on elderly people, take away their freedoms and ultimately kill them off.

This is usually the main reason why older people want nothing to do with doctors - the NHS kills old people.

I had not realised the truth of this until recently. The poor treatment of my father is well documented elsewhere here but my mother's broken arm has resulted in now almost 3 months of needless hospitalisation and institutionalisation against which I have fought. Her care has at times been disgraceful and her catheterisation for convenience and rulings by occupational therapists has meant that she has she is no longer able to stand. I just hope that when I have her home again I can begin to reverse what the system has done to her.

Barley malt extract. A spoonful a day.

Elderberry syrup.

Nettle tea.

Kosher chicken and veg soup.

Raw honey.

These things have proven to be more effective at treating illness than medication. A lot tastier too.

Intermittent fasting as well. Some people swear by that.

Antibiotics should be a last resort.

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

I'm pulling through now but I have a somewhat disconcerting death rattle deep inside my chest.

Doctors seem to refer to the sound of an infection in the lungs as "crackling" so maybe time to worry.

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

I'm pulling through now but I have a somewhat disconcerting death rattle deep inside my chest.

Most likely it is all the loose muscus / gunk in your airways. You need to cough this up. There are a number of techniques you can use to do this by basically forcing yourself to have a kind of deep cough, rather than a coughing fit, to bring the gunk up so you can spit it out.

So take a deep breath, try to hold it for 2 to 3 seconds and then forcibly give yourself a strong a cough as you can. Repeat this several times in succession.

It helps considerably beforehand if you can get someone to basically tap or slap repeatedly your lungs on your back, on your chest front and on your chest sides - basically to help loosen the mucus. Imagine someone padding, slapping or pounding your chest and back as if there was some kind of massage technique going on.

Drinking lots of fluid is supposed to help thin mucus in the airways but, after years of COPD/Asthma, I am not convinced by this as I am not convinced there is a mechanism in the body connecting the drinking of fluids to the thinning of mucus in the airways.

What I have personally found to work wonders is to eat a good old fashioned greasy full Englisg brekkie. The quality fats from a runny fried egg, bacon, sausage, some fried bread, etc, seems to stimulate my airways to, within minutes of eating it, to cough up any loose mucus that I have in my airways. Don't forget the brown sauce.