House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Rogue One

Just been to see it with the kids.

Not a bad film, a bit jumpy and slow at the start, but the second half was good, and overall it sits well with the original i.e Episode IV A New Hope.

Some great CGI, including the resurrection of Peter Cushing / Grand Moff Tarkin, i.e. the Death Star Commander. There was a lot of media complaint about this, presumably driven by actors worried about being automated out of a career.  Actually I think they did a good job.

I wasn't that impressed with Felicty Jones as the lead Jyn Erso.  Donnie Yen as Chirrut Imwe and Jiang Wen as Base Malbus had fun roles and did a good job.

However, the best acting was by Alan Tudyk, who was in a motion capture role as K2SO a reprogrammed Imperial droid helping the Rebel Alliance. He managed to get across childish petulance, with an element of camp, but in a more muscular role than C3PO.

So worth seeing, and my 6 year old got it, but perhaps not as worthwhile for my 4 year old. He got bored in the first half and in the second half clearly was not grasping the chronology - he kept asking when would the Death Star blow up.

1 minute ago, workingpoor said:

I have heard that this film plays like 90min war movie.

Is this correct? 

Yes, definitely some US versus Japan / Okinawa type aspects to it in the second half, even including palm trees and beach landing storm troopers. 
Though of course the Imperial Officers and Elite Storm Troopers still have the Naziesque Styling from Episode 4.
The first half is perhaps a bit more like a spy thriller, jumping between locations.

But if it gets an Oscar, it will definitely be to Alan Tudyk for K2SO.  Every bit as good as Anthony Daniels as C3PO in Episode 4 who was also superb and one of the star roles, though he had more competition as the best actor in the original as he was alongside Harrison Ford.

Gareth Edwards directed "Monsters" , one if my favourite films . good at making low budget CGI look fab. Heard him saying rogue one was inspired by a battle scene in one if the original star wars

I haven't seen it, but I think its a great idea in principle. They haven't really created any good new episodes on the main storyline but the star wars universe is still a great setting for any story. They could just franchise it out.

I saw it.  Not one of the greats, but far better than the 1,2,3 mess.  It has an important role in making the episode 3->4 jump work -- it is like episode 3 part 2, but without all the nonsense that you get in 3 part 1.

If you like Star Wars then it is kind of an essential film -- at the very least a far better prequel to ep 4 than the 1,2,3.

10 minutes ago, Tabasco kid said:

For someone who never got the Star Wars thing (apart from the 1978 disco theme music), is this worth going to see? 

You'd think the right way to see the films would be in chronological sequence (episode 1,2,3,rogue1,4,5,6,7), but IMO it isn't.  If you've not loved ep 4 then this new film isn't going to change things.

IMO the right sequence might be 4,5,6,7,rogue1 (then 1,2,3 if you are up to it).

Agree that Alan Tudyk steals it, but that is obvious given his form, particularly on firefly. Although that final Vader scene... Total badass! Probably the best Vader scene ever.

I don't think they've quite recaptured the magic, but this is a good effort. 

The droid is excellent. It steals the show and has all of the best lines.  It basically has the Han Solo role - morally ambiguous, wise cracking but ultimately comes good. 

It looks absolutely right in terms of the used universe gritty feel. 

Many of the others suffer there lack of sufficient back story or ways to differentiate them. It is rather disorientating to start with lots of planet jumping and while the 3D is used to better effect here than Force Awakens, it's still superfluous and makes some of the scenes too dark. 

Plotwise there's not much to it - basically its a chase movie for most it cumulating in a big battle. I admit to nodding off for about 5 minutes during some of the less well lit scenes. There are some really nice moments. The final Vader scene, for example, adds a thrill of mild horror. There's also another lovely one of an AT-AT taking a hit to the head and its response which is very Terminator like.  I'm not sure this is the film the director would have wanted to make as it does feel a bit choppy and restrained at times. 

CGI Moff is about 95% of the way there, but the lighting isn't quite right from scene to scene so looks a little uncanny valley. Similarly the other CGI character - who I won't spoil - looks almost right, but is missing some subtle facial movement and it makes you realise how sensitive we are to human faces and their expressions. 

Overall, I came away less disappointed than with Force Awakens (and that has grown on me since).  At least they are trying to tell an original story here. 

9 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Just been to see it with the kids.

Not a bad film, a bit jumpy and slow at the start, but the second half was good, and overall it sits well with the original i.e Episode IV A New Hope.

Some great CGI, including the resurrection of Peter Cushing / Grand Moff Tarkin, i.e. the Death Star Commander. There was a lot of media complaint about this, presumably driven by actors worried about being automated out of a career.  Actually I think they did a good job.

I wasn't that impressed with Felicty Jones as the lead Jyn Erso.  Donnie Yen as Chirrut Imwe and Jiang Wen as Base Malbus had fun roles and did a good job.

However, the best acting was by Alan Tudyk, who was in a motion capture role as K2SO a reprogrammed Imperial droid helping the Rebel Alliance. He managed to get across childish petulance, with an element of camp, but in a more muscular role than C3PO.

So worth seeing, and my 6 year old got it, but perhaps not as worthwhile for my 4 year old. He got bored in the first half and in the second half clearly was not grasping the chronology - he kept asking when would the Death Star blow up.

Isn't it a PG13?

Do I need to have seen any of the others, for this to make sense? (I haven't) 

I thought it was a load of confused crap with overuse of cgi, no character development and a pretty awful script. The back from the dead guy never made eye contact and it became obvious there was cgi use within a millisecond. 

The character of c2po or whatever it is was tolerable but quite irritating nonetheless.

Much preferred the one last year. 

1 hour ago, uptherebels said:

Isn't it a PG13?

Id honestly not bother. If you have never liked the look of Star Wars then rely on your instincts because this is 90 odd minutes of cheese. I wish i hadn't bothered. 

1 hour ago, uptherebels said:

Isn't it a PG13?

Its a 12A.

Basically kids under 12 need to be accompanied.  Those over 12 don't.  As I mentioned, the plot may be too complex for a 4 year old, but 6 seems ok.

I felt The Force Awakens, although rhyming too much with A New Hope, had a better first and middle act than Rogue One, though the latter had a  better third act.

Also it becomes more obvious what a horribly myopic and almost self-destructively brutal regime the Empire was, much like the Nazis or Neo-Liberal Globalists - the Galactic Empire's chance for being a stable, durable regime was pretty much fecked as soon as A New Hope and was trapped in a economic/political/military death spiral before the Battle of Endor commenced. The Galactic Empire had frittered away much of its legitimacy and popular support (this shrinking goodwill permanently blown away with Alderaan), got bogged down in millions of insurgency campaigns throughout the Galaxy and had its Navy unable to hold down the systems everywhere, and so the Imperials became fatally fixated on the Death Star, a symbol for their own fear of losing control really, rather than a symbol of power. 

The Death Star blowing up was a huge body blow the reeling Empire never quite recovered from and it was on borrowed time from that point on. And even if the Death Star repelled the Rebel attack at Yavin it was ultimately only a glorified giant hammer that would only work in the short term to suppress the intangible ongoing crisis of the galactic population's growing unease and dislike at Emperor Palpatine's one sided authority. Palpatine was forced to build a second Death Star to vainly shore up his rapidly crumbling credibility, even if his minions were probably unable to fully finish it (and perhaps why it was expended as bait at Endor). 

And elderly and dysfunctional as the Senate was, Palpatine dismantling the Old Republic's institutions and re-distributing direct authority amongst his loyal Moffs and Grand Moffs to protect his absolute power was a paradox (shared with real life dictatorships) of the Galactic Empire sowing confusion while trying to impose order, having a horizontal military thugocracy that encouraged fiefdoms and squabbling (when you had the Empire's chain of command inhabited by magnates like Tarkin, Vader, Jerjerrod, Motti, and Krennic who couldn't stand the sight of each other), a relatively chaotic system which would no doubt erupt into open fighting once Palpatine was no longer at the wheel...

Went to see it Friday, enjoyable (better than Force Awakens), cinematography was nicely done, the planet shield gate opening onto the planet below was wow.

Yeah, felt more like a war movie with lots of characters dying.  First half of the film was a bit disjointed and there were some rather stupid convenient plot device moments.

The android was the best actor, he/it had the best lines too.

This made me lol

http://jalopnik.com/lets-geek-out-over-all-the-fascinating-technology-used-1790293003

Alan Tudyk is a very fine actor. His name does not roll off the tongue but he has played some impressive roles in movies. When he was in 'A Knight's Tale' I was convinced that he was a British-born actor and was somewhat surprised to learn that he is an American.

He is very good.

9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Alan Tudyk is a very fine actor. His name does not roll off the tongue but he has played some impressive roles in movies. When he was in 'A Knight's Tale' I was convinced that he was a British-born actor and was somewhat surprised to learn that he is an American.

He is very good.

And it is impressive how real talent shines through from behind the CGI. It the timing, the intonation etc.

11 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

And it is impressive how real talent shines through from behind the CGI. It the timing, the intonation etc.

Yes it was very well done, even the 'body' posture, placing of the arm/hands - better acting than the biologicals! I felt quite upset when the droid was destroyed in the vault scene .... :(

The resurrection of Peter Cushing  was a bit like the politicians' change you can believe in before an election.  

It's a bit strange for them to do that like they can't let go, apart from maybe saving some money (and maybe giving royalties of some sort to the Cushing estate?).  A bit of a disappointment that they couldn't demonstrate real change and real progress and give someone new a chance - "he" is synched in the movie to play the villain character well - he was a great actor in his day. 

Saw it tonight - thought it was ok, but not particularly exciting, especially as anyone who has seen the original will know what happens to all of the characters.

IMO Star Wars films only really come to life when the light sabres come out, but there was very little of that in this one.