Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Farmers and subs

Recommended Posts

Idiot farmers still thinking they are going to continue getting a sub and a subbed EU workforce. Cretins.

Ive with Penfold (Lord King)- UK agri subs shouldbe thrown on the fire. Are they are a business or benefit street ? Decide.

Farming today article then went onto EU workers. There seems to be a lot of uk farmers that have gone for labour intensive crops - soft fruit, chickens and such.

Quelle surprise. Theres a lot less EU workers now that £1= 1E tjan there was when 1£=2E. Wow! Looks like EU workers were just working for money!

Edited by spyguy
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree totally with what you said, can't understand a lot of it though.

 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, spyguy said:

Idiot farmers still thinking they are going to continue getting a sub and a subbed EU workforce. Cretins.

Ive with Penfold (Lord King)- UK agri subs shouldbe thrown on the fire. Are they are a business or benefit street ? Decide.

Farming today article then went onto EU workers. There seems to be a lot of uk farmers that have gone for labour intensive crops - soft fruit, chickens and such.

Quelle surprise. Theres a lot less EU workers now that £1= 1E tjan there was when 1£=2E. Wow! Looks like EU workers were just working for money!

A lot of the set-aside subsidies are not going to `farmers` as in people that farm the land ,many are just farmers on `paper`they are an investment ,many of the Scottish estates are existing on arable subsidies when the land those subsidies are attached to is moorland    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

A lot of the set-aside subsidies are not going to `farmers` as in people that farm the land ,many are just farmers on `paper`they are an investment ,many of the Scottish estates are existing on arable subsidies when the land those subsidies are attached to is moorland    

Taxpayers get screwed by rich and less rich landowners.

The whole lot needs throwing out and farming treatdd as a business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

Farmers will convert farm buildings into flats and rent them out instead. 

The countrysidd is full of empty business premises based in old barns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Taxpayers get screwed by rich and less rich landowners.

The whole lot needs throwing out and farming treatdd as a business.

Yep but it`s far worse than most think there`s thousands of acres of £2-3k an acre bog-land registered as farms just to attach the subs too ,it has nothing whatsoever to do with farming it`s 100% an investment vehicle 

Edited by long time lurking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EnglishinWales said:

Farming won't be profitable again until the supermarkets go under. I think that's a while off. 

The prices farmers get at the farm gate are disconnected from supermarkets prices.They are more dependant on world markets (except fresh milk).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

The prices farmers get at the farm gate are disconnected from supermarkets prices.They are more dependant on world markets (except fresh milk).

Ive never met a beef or lamb farmer who knows what the EU tariff on beef and lamb. Clueless.

Ditto for dairy, who have let there costs get out of control by over bidding for land. You get these articles that bang on about a farmers cost of production, and how the super markets are paying less. The interview never breaks down what the farmers cost of production are. Its mainly paying too much for land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spyguy said:

Ive never met a beef or lamb farmer who knows what the EU tariff on beef and lamb. Clueless.

Ditto for dairy, who have let there costs get out of control by over bidding for land. You get these articles that bang on about a farmers cost of production, and how the super markets are paying less. The interview never breaks down what the farmers cost of production are. Its mainly paying too much for land.

Hmm... MilkPriceCrash.co.uk anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a tenant farmer on a small scale. I receive an EU subsidy, have done for years. Before the subsidy came in, my rent was £36 per acre. Now my rent is £100 for exactly the same farm. In that time land has risen in value from £1400 per acre to between £8000 and £10000 per acre now.  If this subsidy system had never been brought in, I would have been able to buy my own farm, instead it has meant a lifetime of renting and ridiculous rents. Does this sound familiar to anyone ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, simon49 said:

I am a tenant farmer on a small scale. I receive an EU subsidy, have done for years. Before the subsidy came in, my rent was £36 per acre. Now my rent is £100 for exactly the same farm. In that time land has risen in value from £1400 per acre to between £8000 and £10000 per acre now.  If this subsidy system had never been brought in, I would have been able to buy my own farm, instead it has meant a lifetime of renting and ridiculous rents. Does this sound familiar to anyone ?

Yes, brother in law bought 8 acre field that failed to sell at auction about 10 years ago for 8K, used it for hay and sold it last year as it was too far away from his new small holding. Now even though it has a covenant on it one of the local speculators has paid 80K for it at auction even though it is 1/4 mile down a dirt track with no services nearby, not even a water supply to the field.

I have given up with the logic of paying such a large amount for an average grazing / mediocre arable field.

Edited by ChewingGrass
quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   90 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.