House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maynardgravy

BBC presenter turns down gong

If I remember previous media articles in this subject, there is a very long list of people who have turned down honours, most of them just keep quiet about it. For many I suspect they get badgered into accepting it so am elderly relative can go and have tea with Liz 

got to respect the big league hitters in this respect, declining an Nobel (sartre) or an Oscar (Brando)

Basically, it's a demonstration of how silly and bent the honours system is. If you are awarded a military medal, or a degree, you probably earned it, although I am beginning to have doubts on both of those.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Basically, it's a demonstration of how silly and bent the honours system is. If you are awarded a military medal, or a degree, you probably earned it, although I am beginning to have doubts on both of those.

Very naive mr pin.  Have you not seen Charlie's chest at state events when he trots out in his smart dress uniform?  Every graduation ceremony chucks about at least one nonart degree.   

Some people turn down awards because they allegedly believe they should have been given a higher one. There is a time limit between receiving awards so if you feel you should have got X and only got Y then if you accept Y you might not live to get X before you are on the celebrity death sweepstake.

7 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Very naive mr pin.  Have you not seen Charlie's chest at state events when he trots out in his smart dress uniform?  Every graduation ceremony chucks about at least one nonart degree.   

Honourary degrees. They take the pish.

8 minutes ago, One-percent said:

We all know Charles doesn't do brave. I certainly know one ex-soldier who is very proud of his medal (I don't know which one), but he didn't get it for sitting at a desk with a Gannt chart.

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

We all know Charles doesn't do brave. I certainly know one ex-soldier who is very proud of his medal (I don't know which one), but he didn't get it for sitting at a desk with a Gannt chart.

Well said that man..!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I guess if she had turned it down and said nothing she would be a heroine but none of us would have known. Instead she has said yes I should get it but I'm not taking it....milking the publicity.

7 hours ago, ccc said:

Honourary degrees. They take the pish.

In one of Feynman's books there is a letter he sent declining an honourary degree on the basis that he already had one that he'd honestly earned.

It says something about peoples fundamental capacity for vanity that anybody accepts them at all.

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

In one of Feynman's books there is a letter he sent declining an honourary degree on the basis that he already had one that he'd honestly earned.

It says something about peoples fundamental capacity for vanity that anybody accepts them at all.

Richard Feynmann is my hero. He even plays bongos, as well as doing physics.;)