House Price Crash Forum

So, who got a gong?

spyguy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I quite like the thought of Sir MrPin.

Is it the usual bunch of footballers and soap stars?

Apparently the UKs most successful equestrian para-olympian got one.

I bet his horse is not a cripple.

HOLA444
5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I quite like the thought of Sir MrPin.

Is it the usual bunch of footballers and soap stars?

And posh, for services to err.  Can't recall...  what exactly has she done with her life.  I once saw both posh and becks shopping in m&s.  I only spotted them as there was a bloke acting weirdly, staring down a food isle.  Worked out he was a minder so walked over to have a look.  It was becks with a wire shopping basket over his arm, picking through the ready meals.  He looked like an ordinary bloke.  Then spotted posh.  She looked weird as if someone had frozen her face.

HOLA445
1 minute ago, One-percent said:

And posh, for services to err.  Can't recall...  what exactly has she done with her life.  I once saw both posh and becks shopping in m&s.  I only spotted them as there was a bloke acting weirdly, staring down a food isle.  Worked out he was a minder so walked over to have a look.  It was becks with a wire shopping basket over his arm, picking through the ready meals.  He looked like an ordinary bloke.  Then spotted posh.  She looked weird as if someone had frozen her face.

Had she put her face too far into the freezer, looking for no-fat meals?

HOLA446
Just now, spyguy said:

Had she put her face too far into the freezer, looking for no-fat meals?

Nah. The surgeons knife and Botox would be my guess.  She was nowhere near the food ugh. Horrible stuff. She was marching (I kid you not) through the clothing section.  Probably throwing a strop cause becks was buying food 

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, winkie said:

All teachers in schools once used to be Sirs, are they not important anymore?.....All these titles for all different reasons, letters after names, reminds me of personalised numberplates;)

I wonder if I could get MRP 1N? Not that I need it.;)

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I wonder if I could get MRP 1N? Not that I need it.;)

You could cut out some sticky back plastic and arrange nicely on your rear bumper, then all will see you coming and know how special you are.......but no, like you say you don't need to. ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Predictable mix of sporting heroes and ageing pop stars, designed to win as many votes as possible for the government.

So I won't have to address you as Sir Bruce?:huh:

HOLA4414
22 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Predictable mix of sporting heroes and ageing pop stars, designed to win as many votes as possible for the government.

It goes without saying that Murray and Farah should be knighted at some stage. Surely wait til their retirements. Meanwhile, I would save the top award for these once in a generation sports people. There are pc reasons why the top honour also goes to one off female gold medalists and disabled athletes. Farah has dominated his discipline for a decade or so,  in Murray's case he got to the top of a sport where worldwide competition in the millions of participants makes getting to the top a superhuman effort and it is the top non team sporting event in the world.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
33 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

It goes without saying that Murray and Farah should be knighted at some stage. Surely wait til their retirements. Meanwhile, I would save the top award for these once in a generation sports people. There are pc reasons why the top honour also goes to one off female gold medalists and disabled athletes. Farah has dominated his discipline for a decade or so,  in Murray's case he got to the top of a sport where worldwide competition in the millions of participants makes getting to the top a superhuman effort and it is the top non team sporting event in the world.

I disagree. 

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

It is their job.  They work hard at it, they get paid for it.  They do it for themselves, not for the country.  

You should get the bong for doing something for the country.  Sports people should get something for their work in the sport, such as working with developing younger talent or actively using their fame to promote charities.

This seemed to be the way it worked years ago -- Nobby Styles only got his MBE in 2000, after years of working with younger players.  Compare that with Ellen MacArthur, who got a damehood for going round the world once and an MBE for coming second in a race.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
23 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Vicky B got one.
Services to fashion.

whatever that means.

There's a woman like that around here.  Quite wealthy and runs a boutique in town.  No-one goes there or buys anything (well, she sells stuff to her friends, but it isn't in the same league as a proper shop).  But it does give her something do to, to make her feel as though she's a proper business woman.  

VB is the same but on a larger scale.

HOLA4421

If you type ' nominate someone for mbe' into google you get an ad which leads to this company

http://www.awardsintelligence.co.uk/queens-honours/obe?infinity=gaw~Queens Honour%2BUK%2BENG%2BSPART~OBE%2BEXACT~112353478264~nominate someone for mbe~e&gclid=CLeB6eO3ntECFQrhGwodb0oDbA

When you engage with us we will save you valuable time by dedicating one of our expert consultants to you. They will spend approximately 150 hours on average researching the candidate, gathering evidence of their achievements and professionally writing a nomination of the highest standard. We will also significantly increase your chances of success. The average success rate is just 10%. Our success rate is over 50%.

Or go via
https://www.gov.uk/honours/overview

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
41 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is their job.  They work hard at it, they get paid for it.  They do it for themselves, not for the country.  

You should get the bong for doing something for the country.  Sports people should get something for their work in the sport, such as working with developing younger talent or actively using their fame to promote charities.

This seemed to be the way it worked years ago -- Nobby Styles only got his MBE in 2000, after years of working with younger players.  Compare that with Ellen MacArthur, who got a damehood for going round the world once and an MBE for coming second in a race.

In Murray's case I think he had salvaged a bit of reputation for this country in a major sport where we have been a joke. It was starting to get embarrassing hosting the most prestigious tournament with also rans representing the country. Wimbledon is probably worth a billion or so to the economy over a decade and the justification for hosting it was getting slim.

It has enriched Murray it's been priceless for the country and morale and even GDP.

If that's not worth a knighthood tgen God knows what is. These things are handed out like confetti these days.

HOLA4425
37 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

In Murray's case I think he had salvaged a bit of reputation for this country in a major sport where we have been a joke. It was starting to get embarrassing hosting the most prestigious tournament with also rans representing the country. Wimbledon is probably worth a billion or so to the economy over a decade and the justification for hosting it was getting slim.

It has enriched Murray it's been priceless for the country and morale and even GDP.

If that's not worth a knighthood tgen God knows what is. These things are handed out like confetti these days.

Yeah but its made Scots more smug. Was it worth it.....

To be honest if youre going to give Sirs to Bradley Wizz then Tim Henman, sorry, Murray deserves it.

Archived