House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mrlegend123

FTSE 100 at 7,142 (30 December 2016)

Please can someone explain why the FTSE 100's profits and dividends justify it's peak of 7,142???

Profits are down, dividends are being cut..........FTSE 100 P/E ratio is in the 'flashing' danger zone 

Well a total retreat now from 7400 to 7114, and a retreat on the FTSE 350 to 3964 ( same as 5th January).

Have decided to add  20k to my  ISA for the year. Probably go down some more. Went with 5k on the Renewable Infrastructure Group and 5k on TUI on Friday. May  take a risk on Shell B and Woodford's favourite disaster Capita on Monday so long as they both keep low.

Rather surprised when TUI came up as an AIM yesterday (zero stamp duty) so I cleared my dealing costs in a few minutes as the share rose.

At the end of the day i would sooner lose capital than bend over and lend mortage funds at a negative real interest rate. At least those four yield an average of 6% to cover capital loss. I am seriously inclined to agree with RK, savers haven't yet woken up to sub 1% rates. When they wake up to the pain, FTSE 10,000 should be easy.

Look the stock market can halve over the next decade but if you are yielding 5% plus guess which wins the FTSE or cash at 1%. (it would be a very close run thing anyway).

Edited by crashmonitor

On 22/04/2017 at 10:30 AM, crashmonitor said:

Well a total retreat now from 7400 to 7114, and a retreat on the FTSE 350 to 3964 ( same as 5th January).

Have decided to add  20k to my  ISA for the year. Probably go down some more. Went with 5k on the Renewable Infrastructure Group and 5k on TUI on Friday. May  take a risk on Shell B and Woodford's favourite disaster Capita on Monday so long as they both keep low.

Rather surprised when TUI came up as an AIM yesterday (zero stamp duty) so I cleared my dealing costs in a few minutes as the share rose.

At the end of the day i would sooner lose capital than bend over and lend mortage funds at a negative real interest rate. At least those four yield an average of 6% to cover capital loss. I am seriously inclined to agree with RK, savers haven't yet woken up to sub 1% rates. When they wake up to the pain, FTSE 10,000 should be easy.

Look the stock market can halve over the next decade but if you are yielding 5% plus guess which wins the FTSE or cash at 1%. (it would be a very close run thing anyway).

FTSE100 now yielding 3.8% (albeit not covered by earnings) and FTSE250 yielding 2.7%.  My cash is my home purchase and 3 years of living expenses.  Everything else is in a balanced portfolio of equities/bonds/gold/REIT's.

1 hour ago, wish I could afford one said:

FTSE100 now yielding 3.8% (albeit not covered by earnings) and FTSE250 yielding 2.7%.  My cash is my home purchase and 3 years of living expenses.  Everything else is in a balanced portfolio of equities/bonds/gold/REIT's.

Well I am still mainly in cash because of unexpired fixes, NS and I linkers (which I would never cash) and an Equitable bond with a 3.5% growth guarantee( likewise). Just that I have decided to move maturities into Equity for now.... a move from 3% to 1% just seems a step too far on cash bonds.

I'm roughly 20% Equity, 45% cash, 35% my half share of house. Partner's savings are otherwise independent of mine.

I'm buying high yield stock ( circa 5%) could fall flat on my face..previously used a passive tracker.

Edited by crashmonitor

22 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Well I am still mainly in cash because of unexpired fixes, NS and I linkers (which I would never cash) and an Equitable bond with a 3.5% growth guarantee( likewise). Just that I have decided to move maturities into Equity for now.... a move from 3% to 1% just seems a step too far on cash bonds.

I'm roughly 20% Equity, 45% cash, 35% my half share of house. Partner's savings are otherwise independent of mine.

I'm buying high yield stock ( circa 5%) could fall flat on my face..previously used a passive tracker.

In comparison I'm currently looking like this:

170414-4.png

So a lot more equity than your good self.  Note the bonds are Index Linked Gilts / Corporates / NS&I ILSC's.

The majority of my portfolio is trackers.  The rump are some early Active mistakes which I can't sell for CGT reasons plus a small HYP.

I guess if you merge the distinction of bonds and cash then in that regard we have a similar weighting there.

Edited by crashmonitor