House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isambard

Landing on the Moon - It Never Happened.

One of the conspiracy theories I believe in.

Of course we have all seen Capricorn One

Recently saw the Martian and it made me think of this subject.

We have never gone back have we - what over 40 years have elapsed and not one mission back, i do often wonder why.

I refuse to believe all the science that comes on youtuve trying to prove they did. I will only be convinced if they do another mission up there and I see it live with my own eyes.

Surely there is a reason to go back - Perhaps China or even Russia would like to try - Remember of course the sixties pressure with Russia and the East.

Thoughts? Its more of gut instinct.

Ive always been sceptical. But, my life is now too short to be arsed. I've just added it to my sceptical list.

Id say, either the whole thing went off in a hangar somewhere, or they did go, but got chased orf the laaaaand by horny green beasts.

With all the apparent advancement down here, we ought to be nipping up and back without a second thought by now.

And we aren't.

I think the reason they didn't go back is, analysing the missions after they'd all been done and dusted, they worked out that it was only luck that meant they weren't all disasters.  The idea of the negative publicity about having frozen heroes orbiting / sitting-on the moon forever was enough to put them off.

Well... this is pretty much my subject and if there's one things I've learned it's that people who don't believe man went to the moon will never change their mind, regardless of the evidence presented. I will however give you some evidence and ask that you consider it carefully, and perhaps think again.

1 - There were around 400,000 people involved in Project Apollo. Not all would have known about a conspiracy and a faking of the event, but it's reasonable to assum that at least two or three thousand people would have had to live a lie from July 20th 1969 until the day they died. It really is hard to imagine that such a vast number would all keep quiet and not want to confess at some point.

2 - All six lunar landing stages (Apollo 11, 12 and 14-17) have been photographed from lunar orbit in recent years. The locations are precisely as expected, lunar rover tracks can be seen consistent with the reported trips they made.

3 - There has never been a single inconsistency reported in any of the stories of the 12 men who walked on the moon. They were interviewed and written about countless times over the 43 years since the first landing and everything stacks up exactly as it should.

4 - It would have been extraordinarily difficult to fake the landings. Even the simple idea of slowing down video to simulate 1/6th gravity was just not possible in 1969. Let's also not forget that live communications were broadcast the world over and the difficutly in adding in the correct audio and video delay would have been insurmountable.

5 - People were listening in, all over the globe. Amateur radio enthusiasts the world over pointed aerials at the moon and listened to the astronauts.

6 - The Saturn V rocket. As brilliantly discussed in a sketch from Mitchell and Webb, building that massive rocket had to happen. It takes some kind of thought process to consider that they built a rocket that big, which again amateurs tracked on the way to the moon, but it didn't deliver the human payload.

7- The Chinese and Russians (especially) would have exposed any kind faking if it existed. The moon landings were a political act, and beating the Russians to the moon was hugely important at a time when the USA lagged behind everything Russia did in space.

8 - Point 7 is very much why nobody has been back. It would cost billions and achieve nothing. Further exporation can be done more cheaply with probes.

9 - Not one scientist of any repute, ever, in the years since the landings has claimed it didn't happen. You'll find nutjobs like Bart Sibrel and a few others looking to make a name for themselves of course.

Once again, if you believe that man didn't land on the moon then nothing less than going there and taking a look will prove otherwise. Even then people would say "Well if they can send a space rocket, they can certainly make a machine to fake footprints".

Finally, if you ever meet Jim Lovell (Apollo 8 and 13) and Charlie Duke (Apollo 16) you'll discover that these aren't the sort of people to lie until their dying day. They are test pilots who laid their lives on the line and made history.

I used to think it was faked but have now come down upon the side of it having happened; albeit with faked elements when the photos or footage weren't up to scratch.

Really do not care, there are enough issues on this planet to sort.....Seems like a long time ago now, if they did walk it they must have decided was not worth going back.;)

23 minutes ago, winkie said:

Really do not care, there are enough issues on this planet to sort.....Seems like a long time ago now, if they did walk it they must have decided was not worth going back.;)

This is the reason we never went back...... Public apathy.

The moon itself is a fake plastic object, paid for by advertising.

It simply cost too much, the benefits seemed limited and once they had beaten the Russians there the US lost interest.

Even early on in the Moon Landings they were scrambling to find ways to justify continuing the missions - so they turned the astronaunts into semi-pro geologists in the hope that they would choose better rocks to bring back. That was exciting to geologists here on Earth, and debatedly let us better guess our the Moon was created, but it did not WOW most of the human population.

Until the Moon is staffed by gorgeous babes with purple bob haircuts who saunter around in tight-fitting silver uniforms I really see no point in going back. (They will though as they are now petrified of the Chinese setting up a Moonbase - hope they watched loads of episodes of UFO.).

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It simply cost too much, the benefits seemed limited and once they had beaten the Russians there the US lost interest.

Even early on in the Moon Landings they were scrambling to find ways to justify continuing the missions - so they turned the astronaunts into semi-pro geologists in the hope that they would choose better rocks to bring back. That was exciting to geologists here on Earth, and debatedly let us better guess our the Moon was created, but it did not WOW most of the human population.

Until the Moon is staffed by gorgeous babes with purple bob haircuts who saunter around in tight-fitting silver uniforms I really see no point in going back. (They will though as they are now petrified of the Chinese setting up a Moonbase - hope they watched loads of episodes of UFO.).

Any excuse. I bloody LOVED this when i was a kid.

Ed Straker ended up doing Nescafe ads with Diane Keen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pRmy2NktRc

3 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

We went to the moon. The reason we haven't been back is because western civilisation reached its zenith around the time of the Apollo missions. It's been downhill ever since.

Its hard to argue with that.

I look through the lens of popular music and personal freedom.

4 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

We went to the moon. The reason we haven't been back is because western civilisation reached its zenith around the time of the Apollo missions. It's been downhill ever since.

Can't argue with that. Mind you space exploration-wise I like the stuff remote probes manages to send back these days.

13 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I always thought it suspicious that consumer credit has risen dramatically ever since they landed. What the hell happened up there? What did they bring back? Did our leaders get infected by something they brought back? Was globalisation fed and inspired by those distant pictures of the blue planet? A sudden feeling the the earth was somehow small.

Moonbank Alpha

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

By the time it got to the Lunar Rover they were clearly just taking the piss and seeing what they could get away with.

The dirt thrown up by the wheels is one of the most incriminating bits of footage. I would have thought it would be a perfect parabolic arc in a vacuum.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I used to think it was faked but have now come down upon the side of it having happened; albeit with faked elements when the photos or footage weren't up to scratch.

I used to think it was real. Tried to prove the non believers wrong, ended up converting myself, there are just too many errors.

1 hour ago, lid said:

Didnt mythbusters settle this once and for all, i.e. we went 

Mythbusters will pick which parts they want to bust, the ones that are easily contestable. Flags, Shadows, foot prints.  

The real problem - to accept that everything really happened you have to take the word of people who it is well known will not hesitate to lie if and when it suits their purposes. 

9 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

The real problem - to accept that everything really happened you have to take the word of people who it is well known will not hesitate to lie if and when it suits their purposes. 

Like Patrick Moore?

Veteran astronomer Sir Patrick Moore said about those who believe the moon landings were a hoax: "If ignorance is bliss they must be very happy."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/5851435/Apollo-11-hoax-one-in-four-people-do-not-believe-in-moon-landing.html