House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gonefarwest

Time Is Right

I am thinking of investing around £10k in Gold.

I know the price is currently high. But is this the right time to jumb in or should I wait for few weeks or even months time?

any advice would help. many Thanks.

If anyone really knew the asnwer to that they would not be sitting typing notes on this board....they would be sunning themselves on their own island, surrounded by girls equipped with suntan lotion and ice cold glasses of Becks.

It is the eternal question. If you shop around you will probably find roughly the same number of arguements for and against.

Fo me, despite the recent rises, gold is still undervalued vs oil and the Dow/FTSE. You must look at this as a medium to long term investment, unless you're planning to try to trade on the ups and downs (which by the nature of your post suggests you're not!).

Gold is considered a safe haven during toubled times, high oil prices and high real inflation (inflation vs interest rates).

If you believe that we are going from good times to bad on the above, then buy. If you believe we are going from bad times to better then dont buy.

Decided on a position and why you want to put some money in and then go for it one way or the other. Be prepared to change your position should the fundamentals change.

JP.

I am thinking of investing around £10k in Gold.

I know the price is currently high. But is this the right time to jumb in or should I wait for few weeks or even months time?

any advice would help. many Thanks.

Who knows. I'd personally advise you to diversify. In what I dont know.

You could even buy in stages rather than big go for extra protection.

Do some research too.

There are signs we're in for a correction. I am patiently waiting to switch the remaining 25% of my cash into gold.

True, gold is still very cheap, but why buy near short term tops.

Good luck.

No one knows what will happen. I think you can wait and you may be lucky to shave a bit extra. I'm on board with substantial holdings in Gold. I wont worry if it drops a bit because I know the medium to long term it will be OK. If Iran kicks off in March(I hope it doesnt) then watch Gold go through the roof.

No one knows what will happen. I think you can wait and you may be lucky to shave a bit extra. I'm on board with substantial holdings in Gold. I wont worry if it drops a bit because I know the medium to long term it will be OK. If Iran kicks off in March(I hope it doesnt) then watch Gold go through the roof.

Ok.. I went and bought 15 maples for around £5k. I will wait a bit longer and see how it goes. If there is a pull back then will buy another 15 maples. They are setting on my computer desk looking veeerrry shiny.

This purchase is my starting point. I have 10's of £££kilos sitting around doing nothing. I will keep buying as time goes as GOLD has been the money since time began and I do not trust PAPER money.

I am just not sure when to do my next jump.....CAN SOMEONE give me a guidline as to when to do that?

Edited by gonefarwest

If I were in your position I would use cost price averaging.

Instead of jumping into the market, buy at times of weakness over a period of say 6 months.

Use roughly the same amount, say £1000 a time, so if the price is slightly higher, you buy less, and if the price falls, then you're buying a little more.

Of course no strategy will prevent you from losing money, but this way you reduce the level of risk.

Edited by BandWagon

If I were in your position I would use cost price averaging.

Instead of jumping into the market, buy at times of weakness over a period of say 6 months.

Use the same amount, say £1000 a time, so if the price is slightly higher, you buy less, and if the price falls, then you're buying a little more.

Of course no strategy will prevent you from losing money, but this way you reduce the level of risk.

I'd go along with that,drip-feeding is what I've been doing since last year.Do keep an eye on that exchange rate...a couple of cents more to the pound will make a big difference.....but if circumstances change and oil looks like it's about to rocket..or theres more geopolitical turmoil on the cards,don't be afraid to pile in.

There are signs we're in for a correction. I am patiently waiting to switch the remaining 25% of my cash into gold.

True, gold is still very cheap, but why buy near short term tops.

Good luck.

What would you expect it to pull back too?

Also, wouldn't you want to keep some of your wealth in cash?

I stopped buying at £290 and I'm not a buyer above £300.

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?...LD:$XBP,uu[w,a]daclyyay[dd][pb10!b40][vc60][iUb14!La6,12,9]&pref=G

I would not be surprised if it dropped down to £275 swiftly. I actually hope it happens. Look at how overbought it looks on the 3-year weekly chart.

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?...LD:$xbp,uu[w,a]waclyyay[df][pb10!b40][vc60][iUb14!La6,12,9]&pref=G

Be patient.

And don't forget, gold IS cash.

Edited by cgnao