House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Most ridiculous tax credit self employment.

OK, they are all ridiculous - nail bars, dog walking, etc.. All subbed at great expensive for the tnuc Brown's 'Vote Brown 2010' plan.

Wedding light.

Someone has a ~4 foot light spelling 'L O V E' to lug around to weddings.

WTF.

16 minutes ago, spyguy said:

OK, they are all ridiculous - nail bars, dog walking, etc.. All subbed at great expensive for the tnuc Brown's 'Vote Brown 2010' plan.

Wedding light.

Someone has a ~4 foot light spelling 'L O V E' to lug around to weddings.

WTF.

We should install one of those outside Gordon Brown's house.

Spelling T W A T...

XYY

A start would be something like:

if you're not making (profit) at least 16 hours x 47 weeks x minimum wage then it isn't a business.

Beyond that, they're just the same as subsidising a large company with TCs.

I think the principle is a good one - helping entrepreneurs get started in the early days - and potentially turn hobbies into small businesses. Trouble is most British people are absolutely clueless about setting up and running a business and the resulting miasma of Avon lady style businesses (selling to friends once in a blue moon) isn't doing anyone any favours.  Essentially, the government is paying people to pursue hobbies (which I wouldn't necessarily mind as a stepping stone to citizen's income) -but I doubt anyone would pursue half of these ventures as either a hobby, or a business - if they had to do it for fun or to live off. So these zombie micro-businesses stumble on adding zero value to anyone and their only function is to get the government subsidy and contribute to a small uptick in the GDP. Probably not unlike many big businesses nowadays either I guess.  What an utter waste of human potential and resources. 

Personally, I'd rather we did it probably and said, if you're an artist, aspiring author, musician - then you too are eligible as at least we have a better chance of creating something of value. 

Worse in Sweden I have been told.

May have mentioned before but talking to a Swedish cat lady in Malaysia few weeks back.

She is now in the process of setting up a cattery in Malaysia.

I asked her how she was paying for it - apparently you get a sort of bursary in Sweden to allow this. 

I asked why this was allowed for something outside of Sweden

"I'm Swedish and it's my dream so they will pay for it"

I kid you not. 

Apparently opening a cattery is low down on this list - but does exist. 

Incredible.

They have an actual name for these type of sponsorship / bursary type deals. Can't remember as I was smashed.

No wonder Sweden is ******ed.

Paying for its young educated youth to leave - at the same time paying for the opposite to arrive.

Nuts.

6 hours ago, dgul said:

A start would be something like:

if you're not making (profit) at least 16 hours x 47 weeks x minimum wage then it isn't a business.

Beyond that, they're just the same as subsidising a large company with TCs.

That rule is either in place now or coming in with UC (which if correct is annoying as it is one of the sensible components being forever delayed).  The rule judges all self-employment claims post first year as having floor profits equivalent to the minimum wage.

These rules are a bit of a red herring though, as whilst they might help to cut out non-claims they do nothing to address fake/non-productive businesses i.e. a bunch of people in a community buy and sell services off each creating zero economic sum/fake business revenues.  Hence the OP above...

Candle parties. Our neighbor invited the MD at home to a candle party at her house. They were peddling scented candles for up to £25 each- I sh!t you not!

Utterly unsustainable without that loon Brown's economic doomsday machine underwriting it.

6 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Seen some sellers on EBay offering what appears to be brand new IKEA products, at above the cost of IKEA themselves. Presume this is also a wheeze...?

For some people, the concept of ebay = cheap is soo strong they dont check the prices.

On my hometown FB page there used to to be a loon who was forever posting links to his business. It was fcking nuts.

He'd offer to buy premium things - yachts, Ferraris, precious stones etc etc for people and only take a finders fee. Think James Bond - hed go out and buy it, somehow.

Im like - FFS - why would a rich person need someone in a small Norther town to buy stuff for them.

I thunk he expected to be paid to google stuff.

He also used to offer to buy businesses. Fckknows how on earth he'd do that without any money. I guess he thought he could pa ythe person from the money made, ignoring most businesses dont make money. But it seemed to work for Sir Shifty.

26 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Seen some sellers on EBay offering what appears to be brand new IKEA products, at above the cost of IKEA themselves. Presume this is also a wheeze...?

If it is only just above the price then could be:

• People with money in paypal accounts, to avoid the fee of moving to bank account.  Possibly also traders who don't want the money to touch their bank account (for tax purposes), but I'd have thought that would be a bit risky.
  • pricing including delivery -- Ikea can be a bit pricey for delivery.
  • Just trapping the unwary who can't be bothered to check the price -- but really these people will want to make money, and it is made by turnover, not deliberately reducing turnover by being a silly bugger.

If the prices are way over Ikea then IMO it is probably laundering.

One of my old school pals has a pet photography/video business. Him and his missus do a daily blog about their dog, rabbit and other pets as if they were people on their little website. I am too embarrassed to read it these days. Not VAT registered or incorporated yet and several years in so I have it down as a tax credit racket. Her parents are pretty wealthy and it seems he gave up on any aspirations a long time ago (ridiculously bright chap), they just f**k about basically in their hobby business. I am often envious of him which says it all.

Knew another with a very casual leaflet delivery business, to a man, the self-employed distributors to the owner must have been on the tax credit gravy train. Nothing in that business with EEs basically out for 8-10 hours a day on equivalent to £3-4 an hour or less.

I set up a side-line venture which I did for a couple of years, I was making about £5-6k a year (ontop of my paid employment). Sacked it in after the pressure to do both wore me down, made more sense to skill up further in the day job and make more than the £5-6k with salary progression. It did show me though that it isn't particularly difficult to create a "lifestyle" business but it is very difficult to take a business making a few £k to one that you can truly afford to live off (without TCs). I feel relatively secure knowing I can monetise a few skills and go on the TC fiddle if the SHTF work wise.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

For some people, the concept of ebay = cheap is soo strong they dont check the prices.

On my hometown FB page there used to to be a loon who was forever posting links to his business. It was fcking nuts.

He'd offer to buy premium things - yachts, Ferraris, precious stones etc etc for people and only take a finders fee. Think James Bond - hed go out and buy it, somehow.

Im like - FFS - why would a rich person need someone in a small Norther town to buy stuff for them.

I thunk he expected to be paid to google stuff.

He also used to offer to buy businesses. Fckknows how on earth he'd do that without any money. I guess he thought he could pa ythe person from the money made, ignoring most businesses dont make money. But it seemed to work for Sir Shifty.

5 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

One of my old school pals has a pet photography/video business. Him and his missus do a daily blog about their dog, rabbit and other pets as if they were people on their little website. I am too embarrassed to read it these days. Not VAT registered or incorporated yet and several years in so I have it down as a tax credit racket. Her parents are pretty wealthy and it seems he gave up on any aspirations a long time ago (ridiculously bright chap), they just f**k about basically in their hobby business. I am often envious of him which says it all.

Knew another with a very casual leaflet delivery business, to a man, the self-employed distributors to the owner must have been on the tax credit gravy train. Nothing in that business with EEs basically out for 8-10 hours a day on equivalent to £3-4 an hour or less.

I set up a side-line venture which I did for a couple of years, I was making about £5-6k a year (ontop of my paid employment). Sacked it in after the pressure to do both wore me down, made more sense to skill up further in the day job and make more than the £5-6k with salary progression. It did show me though that it isn't particularly difficult to create a "lifestyle" business but it is very difficult to take a business making a few £k to one that you can truly afford to live off (without TCs). I feel relatively secure knowing I can monetise a few skills and go on the TC fiddle if the SHTF work wise.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

If it is only just above the price then could be:

• People with money in paypal accounts, to avoid the fee of moving to bank account.  Possibly also traders who don't want the money to touch their bank account (for tax purposes), but I'd have thought that would be a bit risky.
  • pricing including delivery -- Ikea can be a bit pricey for delivery.
  • Just trapping the unwary who can't be bothered to check the price -- but really these people will want to make money, and it is made by turnover, not deliberately reducing turnover by being a silly bugger.

If the prices are way over Ikea then IMO it is probably laundering.

IKEA delivery is certainly expensive for a single item like those below, at £35, so the EBay price is a tenner less than the IKEA delivered total, but you don't seem to get the box shelves so it's not clear what the attraction is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trofast-Frame-children-storage-3-colours-available-/281754521384?var=&hash=item4199e0cf28:m:m7q_TLRt8v59MhSfjP6FoMg

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/childrens-storage-furniture/trofast-storage-combination-with-boxes-white-white-spr-19887301/

I know someone that was unemployed in the depths of the financial crisis, after about a year on the dole.  He was forced to set up some sort of nonsense business just to get him in another benefits category, without taking a 'pay' cut (sounds like his advisor practically wrote the business plan for him).

I would say craft fairs are a good place to find out tax credit businesses.  I often wonder in such places, when we will hit 'peak scented candle'

5 hours ago, reddog said:

I know someone that was unemployed in the depths of the financial crisis, after about a year on the dole.  He was forced to set up some sort of nonsense business just to get him in another benefits category, without taking a 'pay' cut (sounds like his advisor practically wrote the business plan for him).

I would say craft fairs are a good place to find out tax credit businesses.  I often wonder in such places, when we will hit 'peak scented candle'

Dog walking.

Painting and decorating.

''Online Product Ambassador'' for Anne Summers

i.e. setting up a facebook page which seems to be more about trying to get other TC claimants to ''join my expanding team'' rather than actually selling dildos.

9 minutes ago, nome said:

''Online Product Ambassador'' for Anne Summers

i.e. setting up a facebook page which seems to be more about trying to get other TC claimants to ''join my expanding team'' rather than actually selling dildos.

Youve got that wrong.

She's a prossie, sponsored by Anne Summers.

8 hours ago, spyguy said:

Youve got that wrong.

She's a prossie, sponsored by Anne Summers.

Or by Anne Widdecombe if you're in Middlesbrough...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

22 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Or by Anne Widdecombe if you're in Middlesbrough...

XYY

No. Romanians have put them out of business.

It would be Anzzzz Wydycymbzzx.

Dangerous being a working girl in boro. Killed by somd migrsnt scum, or a Bulgarian pimp protecting his patch.

Ive heard its also dangerous being a punter. Apparently the English girls wernt much to look at but didnt rob and knife you. Its hilarious listening to grumpy old punter pining for the good old days of a £5 blowjob.

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

No. Romanians have put them out of business.

It would be Anzzzz Wydycymbzzx.

Dangerous being a working girl in boro. Killed by somd migrsnt scum, or a Bulgarian pimp protecting his patch.

Ive heard its also dangerous being a punter. Apparently the English girls wernt much to look at but didnt rob and knife you. Its hilarious listening to grumpy old punter pining for the good old days of a £5 blowjob.

Ah yes, those were the days - Anything yer like for 25 quid...!

Er..., at least that's what a friend told me...

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Ah yes, those were the days - Anything yer like for 25 quid...!

Er..., at least that's what a friend told me...

XYY

I bet Pretty Woman would not be so popular with the girlies if Julia Roberts was a skeletal, herpes riddled 17 yo taking it up the bum, bare, for £25.

They could redo the shopping scene in Poundland and Primark.

'How much is that?'

'Its a pound.Everythings a pound. Theres a clue in the fcking name.'

Just now, spyguy said:

I bet Pretty Woman would not be so popular with the girlies if Julia Roberts was a skeletal, herpes riddled 17 yo taking it up the bum, bare, for £25.

They could redo the shopping scene in Poundland and Primark.

'How much is that?'

'Its a pound.Everythings a pound. Theres a clue in the fcking name.'

:) You crack me up ya daft bastad..!

XYY