House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dgul

Housing associations are absolutely, definitely private sector

So I see that housing associations in Wales are strongly against even the mildest suggestion that they might be public sector -- their current argument is that they shouldn't be counted as public sector for statistics purposes.  I think this change by the Office of Statistics is just so that international comparisons can more readily be made -- social housing in other countries is counted as public sector.  And the housing concerned was, until relatively recently, in the public sector, before being handed over in some strange way.

But this is just about statistics...  Why should they care so strongly about it?

Perhaps it is a decent moneyspinner for those in charge -- a quick look shows the CEOs for the housing associations in Gwynedd and Ceredigion are £110k and £97k respectively.  Even the CEO of the industry body that represents the HOs (sounds like a made up thing) makes at least £90k.  I suppose this isn't a vast amount of money -- but it is an invented post, and surely all this could be run far more efficiently centrally (just MO)?

Or perhaps it is empire stuff -- out of thin-air an empire was created, for the CEO to keep safe from harm in the public sector.

Whatever -- it appears that it is vitally important that they're not considered anything at all to do with public sector.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-38451242

You by and large have to be a client of the public sector meanwhile to qualify for one of their houses, so the fundiing in the form of full housing benefit is derived from the public purse.

Edited by crashmonitor

On 29 December 2016 at 1:31 PM, crashmonitor said:

You by and large have to be a client of the public sector meanwhile to qualify for one of their houses, so the fundiing in the form of full housing benefit is derived from the public purse.

You could apply the same logic to banks and property developers.

On 12/29/2016 at 1:18 PM, dgul said:

So I see that housing associations in Wales are strongly against even the mildest suggestion that they might be public sector -- their current argument is that they shouldn't be counted as public sector for statistics purposes.  I think this change by the Office of Statistics is just so that international comparisons can more readily be made -- social housing in other countries is counted as public sector.  And the housing concerned was, until relatively recently, in the public sector, before being handed over in some strange way.

But this is just about statistics...  Why should they care so strongly about it?

Perhaps it is a decent moneyspinner for those in charge -- a quick look shows the CEOs for the housing associations in Gwynedd and Ceredigion are £110k and £97k respectively.  Even the CEO of the industry body that represents the HOs (sounds like a made up thing) makes at least £90k.  I suppose this isn't a vast amount of money -- but it is an invented post, and surely all this could be run far more efficiently centrally (just MO)?

Or perhaps it is empire stuff -- out of thin-air an empire was created, for the CEO to keep safe from harm in the public sector.

Whatever -- it appears that it is vitally important that they're not considered anything at all to do with public sector.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-38451242

I`m guessing  it`s more about avoiding the cost of bringing all public sector housing up to "EU standards" especially in Wales where they bought loads of Victorian terraces in the early 2000`s some also run a lease type scheme where they guarantee a private landlord rental income for the term and provide grants to bring the property up to their own standard the EU thermal efficiency standard is far higher than their own current standards  and that`s the problem

Currently the councils are cladding their older places, which costs a small fortune i have heard numbers bandied about by people actually doing this work and they are mid 20s to mid £30k per unit ..i`m not sure how accurate those figures are but if you look at the cost of the materials used it`s sounds about right   

Edited by long time lurking