House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Demand for bungalows

http://www.campaignseries.co.uk/news/14990299.Council_suffering_from_lack_of_homes/

The information also highlights that bungalows are the type of property most in demand, with 1,481 eligible for a two-bed bungalow while 1,207 are also eligible for a one-bedroom flat and 1,202 for a two-bedroom flat.

“When you consider that in September there was just two two-bedroom bungalow available, one one-bed flat and six two-beds. That suggests meeting the demand from applicants for their properties will take a long time without a sizeable increase in social housing building. It is vital to increase the number of smaller properties available.’’

So should only bungalows be built?

I would think many homes already are being made into bungalow living.....dining rooms into bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs.....either that or a stair lift......;)

1 hour ago, SarahBell said:

So should only bungalows be built?

I'm on my Local Authority's housing register. I can apply for a 1 bedroomed bungalow that isn't age restricted but they attract a lot of bids. As a 'low need' applicant, i don't bother with them & bid on less desirable flats instead. I stand a fair chance of an invite to a viewing with those.

Although bungalows are preferred over flats, i would assume that they are more expensive to build per unit. However, i wonder if building a long terrace of double fronted bungalows could actually be fairly cost efficient and better for tenants?

4 hours ago, winkie said:

I would think many homes already are being made into bungalow living.....dining rooms into bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs.....either that or a stair lift......;)

Did you know that Councils and HA's won't fit stairlifts if the person cannot walk unaided? The reason being they are dangerous for the non-mobile to use. There are large clunky lifts available, which you need to have two rooms (downstairs and upstairs) which won't be able to use much else for! Of course for private sector, you pays your money and .....

6 minutes ago, Hectors House said:

Did you know that Councils and HA's won't fit stairlifts if the person cannot walk unaided? The reason being they are dangerous for the non-mobile to use. There are large clunky lifts available, which you need to have two rooms (downstairs and upstairs) which won't be able to use much else for! Of course for private sector, you pays your money and .....

Have you ever tried to walk past a stairlift chair in the dark. Totally lethal for the mobile too when you hit the seat at the top of the stairs covering two feet of the available three feet width.

Edited by crashmonitor

3 minutes ago, Hectors House said:

I think it is more they can walk unaided but not up a flight of stairs when they need urgently to go to the toilet.....perhaps the councils would prefer to move people out of a two story home into a one level home ground floor or a home with a lift?;)

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

I think it is more they can walk unaided but not up a flight of stairs when they need urgently to go to the toilet.....perhaps the councils would prefer to move people out of a two story home into a one level home ground floor or a home with a lift?;)

In non-unitary council areas, they are normally fitted by Adult Services (aka Social Services), I know someone who well over 20 years ago had one funded and fitted by Social Services (in the days when they had money), then removed when an Occupational Therapist saw it and was horrified, she got the funding arranged tor a lift fitted. This was at the time a council house, the District Council wasn't involved at all despite owning the house at the time.