House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Do you think Brexit will actually happen and if so, when?

What do you think will happen? Will Article 50 be triggered in early 2017? Will there be more court cases trying to stop it? Do you think it will realistically happen and if so, when do you see Article 50 being triggered and when do you think the UK will actually have left the EU?

I'm starting to think that it won't happen...

It will happen when Britain introduces legislation to enact it.

And after the public has been through several more referendums on key single issues.

It's clear we can't trust anybody currently sitting on the front benches in Whitehall to act in our best interests (not theirs).

So.... basically, never going to happen.

The Brexit circlejerk.

I thought someone would have mentioned immigrants by now but I'll start... 

I was in Czech Republic yesterday and chatting with my taxi driver. He was telling me about living there and I was telling him about UK. I thought I better not mention that a lot of UK people thought people like him (EEs) were a problem to be solved by Brexit but then completely unprompted he said to me that they had a real problem in their country with immigration! Apparently Czech is a favourite target for Ukranian economic migrancy.  I didn't really know what to say but thought it was a bit ironic at the least.

4 hours ago, the gardener said:

The hate is strong in this one.

+1 on that!

The remoaners better form an orderly que as it won't taste any better by being the last in the line. :lol: Slurp! Slurp!

6 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I was in Czech Republic yesterday and chatting with my taxi driver. He was telling me about living there and I was telling him about UK. I thought I better not mention that a lot of UK people thought people like him (EEs) were a problem to be solved by Brexit but then completely unprompted he said to me that they had a real problem in their country with immigration! Apparently Czech is a favourite target for Ukranian economic migrancy.  I didn't really know what to say but thought it was a bit ironic at the least.

Many central and eastern European countries are anti immigration on a completely different scale compared to the UK.

Which is why I find it very amusing when I hear the likes of a polish person on TV saying they are not feeling very 'welcomed' in the UK anymore.

Try being a black bloke in Poland ffs !!

Id literally be scared walking down the street every day.

The polish (in general) are about as anti immigrant as they come.

Unless it's themselves doing the migrating of course. Then they suddenly morph into SJW of the year candidates. :rolleyes:

On 28/12/2016 at 5:17 PM, Funn3r said:

It's obviously something to do with the quality of the beer/lager.

Czech Lager - yes please

German Lager - yes please

British Ales - yes please

Belgian Beer - yes please

On 29/12/2016 at 0:17 AM, Funn3r said:

People like yourself have no problem with the UK having a two-tier immigration system, putting non-EUs in the 2nd tier.  I'm guessing your taxi journeys in any country outside the EU would be rather awkward if you're really that caring about the plight of random taxi drivers and their eligibility to live and work in the UK.

8 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Brexit will happen, but it will be a big damp squib - a meaningless charade where everything essentially remains the same

Probably this. 

In a decade we might be able to notice a real difference, but until then almost everyone will do their best to make sure things don't change radically.

9 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

People like yourself have no problem with the UK having a two-tier immigration system, putting non-EUs in the 2nd tier.  I'm guessing your taxi journeys in any country outside the EU would be rather awkward if you're really that caring about the plight of random taxi drivers and their eligibility to live and work in the UK.

I like to think I am successful in my serious effort to think for myself instead of believing what I am told by the MSM. As an individual then I am happy to confirm there are no "people like me". 

10 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

You've got tickets.

Being in the EU doesn't stop us having free movement with another country if we want - even Australia.

On 12/01/2017 at 7:21 PM, thecrashingisles said:

You've got tickets.

Being in the EU doesn't stop us having free movement with another country if we want - even Australia.

It seems you prefer an unequal system rather than everybody having an equal opportunity to live and work in a country.  FOM wouldn't work in that situation, so you're left with a visa system which is fair to one and all, plus you get the little added bonus of getting the brightest/best people according to the country's needs.  Remember now, pay attention: equality of opportunity.  If people have the skills, it should not matter where they come from.  It matters to you.  You insist that EU citizens with no skills can live in the UK even if they can't support themselves. 

Edited by canbuywontbuy

2 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

It seems you prefer an unequal system rather than everybody having an equal opportunity to live and work in a country.  FOM wouldn't work in that situation, so you're left with a visa system which is fair to one and all, plus you get the little added bonus of getting the brightest/best people according to the country's needs.  Remember now, pay attention: equality of opportunity.  If people have the skills, it should not matter where they come from.  It matters to you.  You insist that EU citizens with no skills can live in the UK even if they can't support themselves. 

You just aren't capable of conceiving of the EU as akin to a country.  

11 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Maybe because it isn't and never will be ?

12 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Do you see the EU as one big country then? just asking. 

i certainly don't, i like to think of France spain greece portugal etc etc all as seperate countries. 

Now i could be persuaded to see it as one big country if i could just go an announce i'am now living on the Algarve tomorrow morning, but i cannot because all these countries have it set up so that you need money to live there, except for the UK where you can rock up and claim Working Tax Credits and HB for selling the big issue 

37 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

Do you see the EU as one big country then? just asking. 

i certainly don't, i like to think of France spain greece portugal etc etc all as seperate countries. 

Now i could be persuaded to see it as one big country if i could just go an announce i'am now living on the Algarve tomorrow morning, but i cannot because all these countries have it set up so that you need money to live there, except for the UK where you can rock up and claim Working Tax Credits and HB for selling the big issue 

I don't see it as one big country, but equally I see it as more than just a club of separate countries.  It's a common legal and economic zone where any citizen has a right not to be treated as a second-class person.

On your final point, more fool us.  It's crazy that we came to the point of leaving over something we could have just dealt with ourselves.  UK government seems to be incompetent.

Yes all the uk gov had to do was reform the benefit system, thats it! & block free access to the NHS for non nationals for a qualifying period. All the other EU countries seem to be able to do it just fine.

So you have to think that there was more to it, that the heavy migration flow into the uk was planned for and actively encouraged.

By whom? IMPO: Originally 2003 ish Mandelson & the CBI under Blair & Brown more recently Osborne and the CBI to keep wages low and house prices up. (Keeping the supermarkets and small businesses sweet with tax credit subsidised workers)

So we had to go for Brexit to shut off the tap at source.

(Whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it) 

Edited by workingpoor