Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChewingGrass

The lost art of driving in fog

Recommended Posts

Having recently been passed on the motorway by a Range Rover doing about 90 and a some German exec motors doing about 80 when visibility was 200m I have come to the conclusion that either most people with flash cars are mongs who could care less about others or themselves or their top of the range motors are equipped with some form of radar and automatic guidance system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I always air on the cautious side and that includes a frozen ungritted road, because you haven't got much time to stop when you hit a tailback in the fog and getting into a skid can be as much out of luck than judgement even obeying the rules of not steering and accelerationg at the same time or over braking.

But everybody else wants to risk it and go fast, I'm shit scared to lose my no claims bonus insurance of my no claims bonus. ie lose one of my two lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people with more faith than I, overtook me in the fog. A few miles up the road they were on their side, with lights flashing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Some people with more faith than I, overtook me in the fog. A few miles up the road they were on their side, with lights flashing.

How satisfying for you. !  I hope they weren't badly hurt, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a low-probability events problem.  If you drive along the motorway in fog at 100mph you've got a 99.99% chance of being absolutely fine, and the 0.01%ers don't get to chat about how they got it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

How satisfying for you. !  I hope they weren't badly hurt, though. 

I did enjoy it, for I am evil. I think no real damage was done. I just thought they may not be able to see through fog any better than I, and that was proven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

Having recently been passed on the motorway by a Range Rover doing about 90 and a some German exec motors doing about 80 when visibility was 200m I have come to the conclusion that either most people with flash cars are mongs who could care less about others or themselves or their top of the range motors are equipped with some form of radar and automatic guidance system.

I don't care what car they drive....as soon as they are away from me the better and safer I feel.....now where was that fog light?;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I did enjoy it, for I am evil. I think no real damage was done. I just thought they may not be able to see through fog any better than I, and that was proven.

I'm with you. I'd enjoy it, too. Im also enjoying my new car. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I'm with you. I'd enjoy it, too. Im also enjoying my new car. ?

Well, don't drive like that then.:mellow:

The thing I enjoyed the most, is that it must have been so expensive a vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically just another expensive = bad and going straight to hell , thrifty = virtuous and good thread thinly disguised as being about something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SNACR said:

So basically just another expensive = bad and going straight to hell , thrifty = virtuous and good thread thinly disguised as being about something else.

This is HPC. A crashed 60s Healey would have me in tears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

Having recently been passed on the motorway by a Range Rover doing about 90 and a some German exec motors doing about 80 when visibility was 200m I have come to the conclusion that either most people with flash cars are mongs who could care less about others or themselves or their top of the range motors are equipped with some form of radar and automatic guidance system.

I expect you were being a bit sarky but seriously, why don't expensive cars have exactly such a system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I expect you were being a bit sarky but seriously, why don't expensive cars have exactly such a system?

I have been musing whether adaptive cruise control is actually better than the human eye in low light/fog conditions.  If so that would make an already useful feature highly valuable (as long as it did not encourage reckless behaviour, which it probably does).  Any car techy types know the answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This is HPC. A crashed 60s Healey would have me in tears.

My dad had a red Austin Healey 3000 Mk3. And it got written off in a motorway pile-up. /relevance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DabHand said:

My dad had a red Austin Healey 3000 Mk3. And it got written off in a motorway pile-up. /relevance

My tears are big.:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GARCH said:

I have been musing whether adaptive cruise control is actually better than the human eye in low light/fog conditions.  If so that would make an already useful feature highly valuable (as long as it did not encourage reckless behaviour, which it probably does).  Any car techy types know the answer?

That's one for Tesla I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

This is HPC. A crashed 60s Healey would have me in tears.

Back in the 70s a friend of a friend drove (well that's not the correct word to describe his driving skills) several Healeys into ditches. They were fast but didn't have very good road holding. The Minis and lowered Anglias Cortinas were much better. Not a patch on the Mk 1 Escort Mexico I had later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GARCH said:

I have been musing whether adaptive cruise control is actually better than the human eye in low light/fog conditions.  If so that would make an already useful feature highly valuable (as long as it did not encourage reckless behaviour, which it probably does).  Any car techy types know the answer?

Yes, much better.  Until it isn't.  At which point you're dead, but the adaptive cruise control is sold off by the breakers to live on in another car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A woman from the fog pile up today said on the BBC news she went into the outside lane and came upon the crash applied her brakes and skidded into the back of a car with three people in it at speed (sadly).

Jeeze I'd be a quivering wreck in the slow lane let alone letting loose in the fast lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crashmonitor said:

A woman from the fog pile up today said on the BBC news she went into the outside lane and came upon the crash applied her brakes and skidded into the back of a car with three people in it at speed (sadly).

Jeeze I'd be a quivering wreck in the slow lane let alone letting loose in the fast lane.

Stay behind slow trucks, and let them hit something first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's technology to deal with stuff and it wouldn't be allowed if it was dangerous, so why should I have to think? Not my fault if I drive into something else!

Maybe the net result of all this technology (and paranoid attitutdes to control) is that overall fewer people get hurt, but it really is breeding huge numbers of idiots like that. They've always existed of course, but it seems to be the norm now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   212 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.