House Price Crash Forum

Stars that Died Penniless and Forgotten.

crashmonitor

HOLA441
HOLA442
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Well spotted David Nixon and I might be wrong about that bit too.

No he lived near me, and he had a nice house.

HOLA443
6 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Always fascinating to me, so any additions to my nomination would be appreciated.

I was watching an old film over Christmas, linked below, and  I was surprised that I had not heard of the star, Constance Smith, as imho she  was far better looking than any of her contempories...Margaret Lockwood, Viviene Leigh or Elizabeth Taylor.

Digging deeper, I found she had quite a remarkable life, where indeed worldwide fame had beckoned, but she fell into obscurity and is today unknown.

Signed by Fox in the 1950s as the new Grace Kelly and given the priviledge of presenting Oscars it was assumed she would be the next big thing. Her first major starring role was the one linked below. But surprisingly Fox dropped this beauty almost immediately and I reckon her fiery Irish temperament might have been the reason. Initially married to the English actor Bryan Forbes, she later twice tried to murder her fiancee, Director Paul Rother, ans served time in prison. He still married her in 1974.

She died in penury in 2003 (having spent her last years as a cleaner) and forgotten. Surely a book in there, none was ever written.

Smith, stunning but homicidal and compared to Hedy Lamarr in looks.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Smith

Beautiful oirish eyes... but clearly mental.

HOLA444

Kathy Kirby and Dorothy Squires were both big stars in the UK in their day who ended up 'relying on the kindness of strangers'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Kirby

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Squires

Jessie Matthews was a huge star in the 1930s who faded into obscurity but whose career was rescued by the Radio soap opera Mrs Dales Diary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessie_Matthews

The common feature was that they were all bonkers.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
1 minute ago, davidg said:

My mum worked with Benny Hill in rep in the 50s and said he was gay (my mum was a stage manager - whatever that is?)

1) I am not surprised. His sexuality is really of no interest

2) So what, he did a job as a comedian

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

In the 50s it would have been of interest to the authorities I imagine. 

Yes, indeed, as would have been my uncle. We all knew, even though we weren't told, and nobody mentioned it. My dad mentioned it a couple of months back.

HOLA4411
12 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

In the 50s it would have been of interest to the authorities I imagine. 

They didn't seem that interested in luvvies - I guess they didn't have any state secrets to hide. Frankie Howerd was another. My mum worked with him at Gt. Yarmouth rep and it was pretty well known he was gay then.

HOLA4412

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/559201/Rainbow-presenter-Geoffrey-Hayes-interview/amp

Geoffrey Hayes from the children's TV show. Not dead or broke but did some shelf stacking and drove a taxi.

Like most actors, I’ve had spells of unemployment and for four months I worked two nights a week shelf-stacking in my local Sainsbury’s. 

I didn’t do it for the money – it was just that I’d been out of work for five months and was hanging around the house becoming a pain.

My wife told me to do something to take my mind off it. I also did a stint taxi driving. Now I’m retired and when I look back at my TV career, I feel very lucky. I’ll always be grateful for Rainbow and the life it’s given me.” 

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, Ill_handle_it said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/559201/Rainbow-presenter-Geoffrey-Hayes-interview/amp

Geoffrey Hayes from the children's TV show. Not dead or broke but did some shelf stacking and drove a taxi.

Like most actors, I’ve had spells of unemployment and for four months I worked two nights a week shelf-stacking in my local Sainsbury’s. 

I didn’t do it for the money – it was just that I’d been out of work for five months and was hanging around the house becoming a pain.

My wife told me to do something to take my mind off it. I also did a stint taxi driving. Now I’m retired and when I look back at my TV career, I feel very lucky. I’ll always be grateful for Rainbow and the life it’s given me.” 

Were you the camp hippo, Mr HandleIt?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
32 minutes ago, Ill_handle_it said:

I am contractually obligated not to confirm or deny my involvement with project Rainbow.

Series finished in 1993. 1,000 episodes today would make you rich, especially if you have licence payers bent over a barrel. Rainbow though was Thames.

Big names like Jan Leeming back then earned next to nothing. Now some BBC newsreaders earn the quarter of a million. I guess the reeducation of racist Northern plebs wasn't in the job description back then so I guess the job is more involved these days.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Ill_handle_it said:

I am contractually obligated not to confirm or deny my involvement with project Rainbow.

Come on handles, no need to be so coy - we won't say nowt.

So did you Rod Jane and Freddy..?

XYY

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, Hectors House said:

Charles Hawtree

Apparently the stars earned diddly squat in the low budget Carry ons. Just needed to stick around and become a National Institution like Barbara Windsor and make money in the Media Age. I guess the Carry on curse didn't lend to longevity.

Archived