House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FTBagain

Lexmark To Close Rosyth Factory

i'm amazed they still manufactured in scotland - they probably got a big grant from the Uk taxpayer :angry:

doubtless the work is now on the slow boat to china... :(

Edited by gasket37

I recently ditched by Lexmark printer and bought an HP one. Much better!

I bought a Lexmark X1190 for £29.95 and ditched my HP Photosmart. Much better.

Cost cutting in the extreme, although I'm not sure that this reflect more on the wider economy than lack of efficiency in the copmany.

I used to work for Lexmark.

The business model (as with other printer mans) was that the printers were made in the far East and then sold in the UK at a loss to encourage the use of the cartridges (the cartridges are all chipped to ensure that you can only use theirs).

The cartridges for the UK were made in Rosyth and due to their ridiculous markup on them still made up all the actual profit for Lexmark.

The business management was appalling. e.g There were often sales promotions where the price of a printer + free cartridge was less than that of simply buying a replacement cartridge. Result - loads of people didn't bother to buy replacement cartrigdes - they just bought the printer deal again and threw the old printer in the bin. It made the sales of printers look better than they should have been but lost the company loads of money. Duh!

Just noticed DaimlerChrysler have announced another 6000 white collar jobs to go as well (on top of the 8500 merc. jobs that went last year). Looks like the Western car industry is taking a beating just at the moment.

Unemployment is going to be the big issue in the next few months.

I ditched my Lexmark when the price of a cartridge became more expensive than the printer itself...rip off.

If you have a look in PC world etc it is often Lexmark printers that are given away with PC family packages. You get the printer for next to nothing and then have to take out a small mortgage to buy the cartridges.

Edited by 2005

...until you have to fork out the price of the printer for a refill :P

Funny enough I was thinking of ditching the printer when the time comes for a refill. They might be even cheaper than the £29.

Funny enough I was thinking of ditching the printer when the time comes for a refill. They might be even cheaper than the £29.

O/T i know but i use canon printers

third party refills and head cleaners are available from ebuyer for £1.50 - £2 or so each :)

yeah - Canon seem OK and easy to get compatible refils

epson = biggest ripoff imo

Disagree!

Had an epson 810 and now an 830 photo colour.

Black cartridge £4.50 and 5-colour about £5.50 from www.svp.co.uk

Incredibly cheap to run i.m.h.o.

TB

That will be very quickly, Lexmark printers come with their cartridges half empty. It's a false economy, I'm telling you.

Lexmark's business model was to sell printers cheaply (or give them away with new computers) and then charge an extortionate amount for cartridges. Sounds like the punters have caught on.

Generally, unless you are printing photos, laser printers work out much cheaper than inkjets over the long term because of the number of prints per refill.

Sorry - boring... (yawn)

and an OK laser isn't much more than a basic inkjet.

ebuyer keep doing a Samsung laser for around the £50 quid mark. I got one as an Xmas present, and it's really rather good. Slightly flimsy, but no complaints at the price. The ebuyer comments for the printer even give info for cheap refills, although it's supposed to be good for 2000 pages out of the box anyway.

If you look at the cost of photo paper, it seems a false economy to print them yourself when the likes of photobox will print them for less than you can bu the paper. That's before you factor in the cost of buying and running a printer.

Laser - Samsung (integrated jobbie with scanner and photocopying) for reasons above

Inkjet - Canon for reasons above

Have a box of old HP LJ 5 toner which I fill the laser with.

Methinks this thread should be posted on www.inkjetcartridgepricecrash.co.uk :D:D:D

Seriously though, you can use recycled or refills and in a year save enough money for a 5% deposit on a 4 bed at the price of HP cartridges...

Edited by adamUK