House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canbuywontbuy

What's the difference between propaganda and fake news?

Remember the run-up to Brexit? We were absolutely hammered by the MSM (especially the BBC) with Project Fear. Of course, it was all wrapped up in the usual plumby, "neutral" voice of the BBC presenter just reporting what somebody said. Somebody says Brexit would be bad, we just report it - in our plumby voices.  Propaganda is always presented as reportage.  Nobody says stuff directly.  It's always "group A believes this".  Propaganda always likes to sound legitimate and without bias.

Same with the US election.  Everything in the run-up was all "Clinton's got it in the bag" propaganda.  Trump had numerous unsubstantiated allegations made against him, all massively reported by the media.  Top headline news several times on the BBC. What happened to those allegations? No longer needed, right?

Brexit happened.  Trump won. 

Now the MSM can't handle it and are crying foul over "fake news". 

It's funny because all the "fake news" they are complaining about are from marginalised sources with much smaller reader/viewerships.

The MSM peddle non-stop propaganda in favour of the future they want.  You could actually call it.....fake news.  When they don't get their way, they cry "fake news". 

Pizzagate.....why are the MSM obsessed with it? All I hear now is how pizzagate is "fake news".  There is a sense of protesting too much about it. 

Oh, and why has Julian Assange gone AWOL for 3 months? What's happened there? Why aren't the MSM reporting this?

Fake News is exaclty that - news, that is fake.

Propaganda is an African country that used to be ruled by Idi Amin...

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I would say that people believe propaganda.:huh:

33 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Fake News is exaclty that - news, that is fake.

(a) Is the daily mash fake news?
(b) is that danish proverb real?

This is the media's way of coping with becoming defunct because of social media and blogging etc.  They're thinking that shouting loudly about 'fake news' will drive everyone back to their own form of agenda.  I don't think it will work.

21 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

(a) Is the daily mash fake news?
(b) is that danish proverb real?

(a) Yes.

(b) Yes.

XYY

Isn't that a bit like pissing down your legs to keep warm in the snow...? Sooner or later, it turns to ice... - Another Danish proverb

10 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

I'm not sure what fake news is, Zuckerberg seems to be the goto guy to decide these matters.

Oh dear.

Errol, oracle, or The Eagle are going to put you SOOOO right about that one mate...!

;)

XYY

27 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

(a) Yes.

(b) Yes.

i would have said the mash was spoof news... not fake.

Sometimes its not and its too close to tell, but mostly its mad enough to know.

But fake news is the entire coverage of the US election by the BBC and their subsequent surprise at the result.

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Oh dear.

Errol, oracle, or The Eagle are going to put you SOOOO right about that one mate...!

;)

XYY

I thought George Soros was the go to man for balanced honest news these days?

Clinton mega donor George Soros leads line-up of liberal billionaires who are funding Facebook's fake news fact checker
George Soros's Open Society Foundations will fund fact checking initiative
Hungarian businessman donated more than $25million to Clinton's campaign
Clinton super-donor Pierre Omidyar is also linked to the pilot project
He has given more than $30million to the Clintons and their charities in past 
Facebook feature will flag 'disputed' stories to users before they share them
Stories are reported to 'third party checkers' which include ABC and Snopes
Clinton's campaign was plagued with fake news stories before the election 
Right-wing commentators fear it will boost liberal content and censor Republican messages   

Source :- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4041910/Clinton-mega-donor-George-Soros-leads-line-liberal-billionaires-funding-Facebook-s-fake-news-fact-checker.html

GSoros2_zpsq1ktx62t.jpg

George Soros

12 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

i would have said the mash was spoof news... not fake.

Ah!  Well now that we're allowing shades-of-grey, then of course it is.

But the binary choice you offered me didn't allow for that distinction.

Spoof = Fake.

Otherwise "spoof" would then be true - and thus could not be proper-spoof...!

;)

XYY

3 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Are you actually asking XYY where the best place really is to hide a sausage?

Yes renty - the nice lady is asking me exactly that.

And I have at least forty-five decent hiding places...

XYY

More importantly,  is fake news censorship and fact-checking going to extend to all those hippy posts about "shocking facts you need to know about cancer link to peanut butter"  and,  "10 reasons your child will be mentally retarded if you don't breast feed them until they're 30" ?

If so it might not be such a terrible idea..   or at least to have a Facebook button that just says:  "B0llox Filter".    Not sure there'd be much left except for thousands of *hilarious* "look what my cat did to the Christmas tree..  OMG # sofunny" pictures.   

Reading this post back..  why do I still have an account

I suppose this can't be fake news:- http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37658316

...because it uses the word "allegation". 

Yet I can't find any follow-up story to these two (and 10 other!) allegations against Trump since it was reported 10 weeks ago.

Allegations made, they get heavily reported (headline news), then the MSM don't follow it up at all.  All done in the run-up to an election. 

2 hours ago, libspero said:

More importantly,  is fake news censorship and fact-checking going to extend to all those hippy posts about "shocking facts you need to know about cancer link to peanut butter"  and,  "10 reasons your child will be mentally retarded if you don't breast feed them until they're 30" ?

If so it might not be such a terrible idea..   or at least to have a Facebook button that just says:  "B0llox Filter".    Not sure there'd be much left except for thousands of *hilarious* "look what my cat did to the Christmas tree..  OMG # sofunny" pictures.   

Reading this post back..  why do I still have an account

You are Pinworthy, and I want a ride in the A-Team van.

Some people will say anything if it will be to their advantage that it will be believed.....who can you trust anymore?.... generally once a liar always a liar...DYOR.;)

All news is biased.

The worst sort is that which is biased towards your existing prejudices, because it's much harder to see through it. The fake news meme is just a blatant and transparent attempt to control the prevailing narrative. I don't think it's working to be honest. 

What is the news status of the factual Norwegian huge pedophile ring bust Operation Dark Room?

Why is the MSM not all over it?

Why were reports of it deleted from several MSM websites?

4 hours ago, onlyme2 said:

Propaganda as we are seeing it now is dictating what fake news is and isn't.

BBC right ? It's fake news if it comes from another source and post truth if it comes from the uneducated plebs up north. Meanwhile the BBC is allowed to cook up any post truth it likes. Milking the Jo Cox thing with all the emotion it could muster with very little evidence.

That Norway thing, Belgian politicians years back, UK establishment today, pizzagate and all.

The off the wall tin foil hat theories about global politicians and other powerful people having some huge big paedo ring are starting to sound a little less mental :huh:

They actually underline and make bold "outburst".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38451258

US President-elect Donald Trump has urged Israel to "stay strong" until he assumes office next month.

In comments referring to last week's UN Security Council vote which criticised Israeli settlement building on occupied land, he complained Israel had been treated with "disdain and disrespect".

The comments came in his latest outburst on Twitter.