House Price Crash Forum
bear.getting.old

social housing being sublet

I know of a shared ownership house bought on a keyworker scheme that is being let. Isn't letting out a keyworker house illegal? I think someone should shop the LL to someone but who should he contact to do this? The LL lives with his girlfriend in a housing association house! Not on is it?

You bloody crashists.

When will your jealous, spiteful rage end?

This guy is a wealth creator, showing a bit of entrepreneurial spirit and all you want to do is pull him down. What have you ever done to create a home for some poor tenant in the way that this bloke has? Until he intervened, access to keyworker housing was being artificially constrained to public sector parasites, bums who refuse to take responsibility for their financial futures and spend all their time sponging off the state.

If this guy can pack in twenty or thirty Eastern Euros and jack the rents up, this could be his first step to a nice little portfolio.

Get over yourself.

Edited by Bland Unsight

Yeah funny. He profits out of his taxpayer subsidised house who could actually be let to someone who actually needs it. Bet he isn't declaring the income either to taxman. Why am I biting? Anyway who to contact and will they do anything? No I don't know if there is a housing assocation involved or direct with government or council.

3 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Yeah funny. He profits out of his taxpayer subsidised house who could actually be let to someone who actually needs it. Bet he isn't declaring the income either to taxman. Why am I biting? Anyway who to contact and will they do anything? No I don't know if there is a housing assocation involved or direct with government or council.

I'd start by standing outside the block and looking for a sign which tells you the name of the housing association. If it's an HA development that'll be case closed.

Something like this is often a dead give away.

2648073_2127c913.jpg

Not all relevant signs have the words "housing association" on them, so you should just make a note of any signs that you don't recognise, then you can google them when you get home. If you have a smart phone and a data contract, it may not even be necessary to wait till you get home.

09070206.jpg

I don't think you should ask passer-by if it is an HA block as that might tip-off the suspect.

Call the police immediately. This is obviously an emergency that cannot wait until new year. Better yet dial 999 - when they ask what service you require, tell them: all of them.

Edited by EnglishinWales

No its not one of those (and no sign!), it was bought on the private open market with help from the keyworker scheme who stumped up their share of it. So who to contact in said scheme? Anyone would think you support this LL leech.

Edited by bear.getting.old

I worked a big case like this a while back. Very similar deal. I wasted loads of time trying to get a phone number for this HA "No ball games". Never got to the bottom of it.

684025_1415626983476_PF.jpg

Similar problems with an HA who have a sign featuring a dog taking a shit. 

2 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

No its not one of those (and no sign!), it was bought on the private open market with help from the keyworker scheme who stumped up their share of it. So who to contact in said scheme? Anyone would think you support this LL leech.

Steady on. I'm being super helpful!

I got a cold-call earlier this year, from somebody trying to sell plastic doors. They were claiming to be calling from the National Data Centre. I asked them to tell me a bit more about the National Data Centre and he said that they had "all the nation's data". "All of it?" "Yes," he said. I was pretty impressed that they had time to cold-call me to sell plastic doors given that were also keeping tabs on the national data. They must have top-notch IT that keeps on top of the whole data thing and frees up a bit of time to generate some revenue selling home improvements.

Why don't you contact the guys at the National Data Centre? I guess to untrained people like you and me this question of grassing up somebody over a property you ostensibly know nothing about is a bit of a puzzler, but the NDC guys probably have algorithms for that kind of thing, and if they don't they could probably pull a couple of guys off the door-selling malarkey to work on your case for a bit.

Edited by Bland Unsight

Ring the local council to see if they can help, maybe they can provide info or if not they might be able to pass on your concerns to whoever is operating the shared ownership. 

I would have thought planning permission etc would hold some detail. Google the address and others in the block looking for old Google adverts for share ownership scheme details when originally marketed or planning permission etc. 

Contact the builder if it's a large firm....can they tell you who they were aligned with? Planning permission maybe holds builder details. 

Contact HMRC if you suspect not bring declared (ie you suspect on the basis that it should be let in the first place).

There will be a stipulation regarding the key worker element in the mortgage T & C. You'll need to get the Mortgage holder from the Land Registry and then write to them. They can then stop this.

Shared ownership isn't subsidised. Its basically a part ownership with an interest only mortage for the balance (i,e profit, as the purchased part covers the land and building cost).

And SO is not social housing, its a scheme to fund developers (HA's are developers too)

Edited by Peter Hun

3 hours ago, Phil321 said:

Ring the local council to see if they can help, maybe they can provide info or if not they might be able to pass on your concerns to whoever is operating the shared ownership. 

I would have thought planning permission etc would hold some detail. Google the address and others in the block looking for old Google adverts for share ownership scheme details when originally marketed or planning permission etc. 

Contact the builder if it's a large firm....can they tell you who they were aligned with? Planning permission maybe holds builder details. 

Contact HMRC if you suspect not bring declared (ie you suspect on the basis that it should be let in the first place).

Agreed - ring the Councils housing department. They will either be able to take up the case or advise where to lodge your complaint. They will certainly be able to tell you the name of the housing association as most housing referrals come from them in the first place.

20 hours ago, Bland Unsight said:

You bloody crashists.

When will your jealous, spiteful rage end?

This guy is a wealth creator, showing a bit of entrepreneurial spirit and all you want to do is pull him down. What have you ever done to create a home for some poor tenant in the way that this bloke has? Until he intervened, access to keyworker housing was being artificially constrained to public sector parasites, bums who refuse to take responsibility for their financial futures and spend all their time sponging off the state.

If this guy can pack in twenty or thirty Eastern Euros and jack the rents up, this could be his first step to a nice little portfolio.

Get over yourself.

What this guy said.

On 26/12/2016 at 10:20 PM, bear.getting.old said:

I know of a shared ownership house bought on a keyworker scheme that is being let. Isn't letting out a keyworker house illegal? I think someone should shop the LL to someone but who should he contact to do this? The LL lives with his girlfriend in a housing association house! Not on is it?

Will grassing them change anything for you?  positively?  forget all that we're in it together c***

Letting out a SO flat isn't illegal, but the HA may have policies about it. For instance permission must be granted and the tenant vetted. Thats assuming that the owner hasn't staircased to 100%, in which case the restrictions would be removed.

I'd guess the HA flat is living in is his girlfriends, so perfectly legit.

Slightly off topic, but concerning a friend who currently rents the top floor of a family owned Edwardian villa but has just been offered a social housing unit as she is on the list. Basically she was offered a flat in a mainly private development in Bakewell (some housing association and some private). The flats sell for upwards of 200k each. The street has an average zoopla valuation of 400k, it is in the very best part of this Peak District gem. She rejected it because she wants a river view and it was ground floor ( I know rather contradicting the disability bit), tbh it caused a bit of tension over the Christmas break. She was having Christmas with us, and thought we were all having a go at her because we couldn't believe she had rejected this lottery win.

Jeeze a 200k flat free for the rest of your life, no council tax (she is on disability) free refurbisnment for the rest of your life and repairs (may be a 50k package). She's not retirement age yet, but to get that sort of package and retire early you would need to have worked all your life and have a 500k pot wouldn't you.

I must say that what is apparent to folk that earn their way in life is not always so to folk in the housing benefit and welfare system, possibly due to mental disability.

Edited by crashmonitor

I don't know about the legality of subletting shared ownership housing (suspect it may actually be allowed with conditions), but subletting council / HA housing definitely isn't allowed and is a growing problem in places like London 

Channel 4 did a piece on the latest wheeze of letting the places out through AirBnB: 

On 12/26/2016 at 10:51 PM, Bland Unsight said:

I'd start by standing outside the block and looking for a sign which tells you the name of the housing association. If it's an HA development that'll be case closed.

Something like this is often a dead give away.

2648073_2127c913.jpg

You are talking out of your ****. Shared Ownership schemes never have signs, you're more likely to see a for sale sign every now and again but unless you live in the neighbourhood then you are not likely to know what is shared ownership.

On 12/27/2016 at 11:28 AM, Kurt Barlow said:

Agreed - ring the Councils housing department. They will either be able to take up the case or advise where to lodge your complaint. They will certainly be able to tell you the name of the housing association as most housing referrals come from them in the first place.

On 12/27/2016 at 8:15 AM, Peter Hun said:

Shared ownership isn't subsidised. Its basically a part ownership with an interest only mortage for the balance (i,e profit, as the purchased part covers the land and building cost).

And SO is not social housing, its a scheme to fund developers (HA's are developers too)

At last, someone understands it! Actually, your wrong on the interest only mortgage, if you have the money for part of it.You can pay that way. Lots of people who get divorced and get some money from a house sale but don't have enough to buy a new one and could be too old to get a mortgage do this. At the end of the day they have a stake in the house and cheap rent.

There is a threshold on how much money someone can have in the bank. If they can afford to buy a house outright then they can forget getting a shared ownership house because the checks will show up how much they have.

Edited by Hectors House