House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Do you bother with Boxing day sales?

Not really. I have kept an eye on some things this year but notice that the Boxing Day sale prices on all the stuff I am looking at - some electronics, laptop, TVs, cycle clothing - is more expensive this morning than in the November sales.

Normally go to the car boot on a BH Monday (for the exercise) - it wasn't open today, so went to West Quay - came back empty handed. Business was brisk.

image.jpg

Apparently they were open at 5am?

image.jpg

^Queue to pay

It is enjoyable to go out and buy things you want at a bargain price, and there is a nice seasonal atmosphere too.

However I have mentioned before about having two of most things from putting two houses together so I (currently) want for nothing materially but look forward to the day when eventual wear and tear will afford me an excuse to go.

Had no intention of going to any Boxing Day sales but have just been to the local garden centre cafe for breakfast, as we were walking back to the car the attached Cotton Traders was just opening and wheeling out a £1 rail... end result, 7 items made up of thermal fleece lined trousers, thick hoodies and fleece lined jackets for a grand total of £7... original RRP over £180!

Now that's what I call a proper sale!

3 minutes ago, nome said:

Had no intention of going to any Boxing Day sales but have just been to the local garden centre cafe for breakfast, as we were walking back to the car the attached Cotton Traders was just opening and wheeling out a £1 rail... end result, 7 items made up of thermal fleece lined trousers, thick hoodies and fleece lined jackets for a grand total of £7... original RRP over £180!

Now that's what I call a proper sale!

Well done.

The cycling clothing I am looking at has had their prices pumped up between end of Nov and Christmas and are now slightly more expensive than the Nov prices. So no sale there then. Back to cycling naked.

Result Nome!

I had a mini result yesterday when twelve hours on I found the (now sodden) old woollen gloves that had dropped from my coat pocket on my morning walk.

41 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Were they mainly asian/Chinese?

There was the token showing :) - but I can see why we need immigration, or why businesses need immigration! We need more people to buy stuff - or we just end of with people like me that don't buy anything.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I don't often shop on Boxing day, but I usually wait until then before buying. For example, a laptop I've been considering had been reduced by £200 (from £699 to £499) overnight at PC world.

I'm with Bruce on this.  Wanted a new camera and waited for the Boxing Day sales (given money as presents towards it.  Exact camera I wanted is 220 squid cheaper on the Amazon sale.  Got one before it was taken back off sale.  It can work out sometimes, but no, I wouldn't have fought round the shops for it.

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well done.

The cycling clothing I am looking at has had their prices pumped up between end of Nov and Christmas and are now slightly more expensive than the Nov prices. So no sale there then. Back to cycling naked.

Yeah there was a Mountain Equipment outlet next door to where I used to work, I would pop in a couple of times a week just to look out for any bargains, seconds etc so I had a very good idea of their prices... a couple of times a year they would hold much heralded ''sales'' which would see people coming from hundreds of miles away to pick up items at ''bargain sale'' prices... the fact is they actually INCREASED their prices for these sales, but there would still be mugs leaving with armfuls of ''reduced'' items!

31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well done.

I stick to buying winter gear in summer and summer gear in winter as there is always someone somewhere dumping last years stock before the next years arrives. I like to pick up quality Manchester manufactured Lusso gear this way, especially their roubaix bib tights and neoprene winter tops.

The thing with sales is that much of it that is purchased you would not buy anyway if you did not see it....what you may save on something you did need you end up wasting on stuff you don't.....anyway everything today can be purchased for less at any time of the year.....if it says UP TO 99% OFF it could be any reduction and the rest they can't give it away. ;)

5 hours ago, spyguy said:

Were they mainly asian/Chinese?

The selfridge manager at B'rum said to the bbc reporter that they have extra mandarin speakers on staff to deal with the customers they get.

8 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

There's a few things I want, but nothing I need so I went for a walk with the missus instead. 

Went for a walk on a long beach, weather bright and mild, air clean, exercise invigorating.:)

Can't think of anything I particularly want or need right now, and it's usually the case that wanting or needing something doesn't line up with Boxing Day, so no.

Can't be arsed with boxing day sales. A mate posted a pic of his shopping bags on facebook - by 8.20am! 

I bought a few items of clothing from Next Online. None of the items were in the sale. Not cheap but i find their gear comfy to wear. I could have had them delivered for £4 but i'll pick them up from my nearest store when they're ready. :)

Judging by the traffic on the clogged M5, yesterday. Everyone is getting a new sofa.:huh:

They all need lobotomising.

8 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Making up for when it was closed for de-icing?

Somerset, not Norway.:huh: