House Price Crash Forum

First Xmas since i was 3 ...

spyguy

HOLA441

Thats Ive not watched any terrestrial telly.

Something major has changed. Wow.

Part of that is daughter is hogging the telly for her bloody computers games. Im happy just to flop beside her and read.

Ive netflix. Im finding having choice of goodstuff has rasied the bar and made me discriminate on what I invest time in watching.

Even for the 10 years when I didnt have a telly, Id still be back at my Mums and see some stuff.

Kids just arn't interested. Any kid under 15 is very unlikely to buy a TV license when they grow up.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Same in our house. Even the odd thing my wife wanted to watch (the strictly X factor on ice Xmas special) everyone forgot all about. 

We had a couple of films on, but none came from live sources. 

I've said it before but the only source of 'telly' entertainment my eldest sees (10 yr old) is YouTube. He hasn't watched live telly since he was 3 maybe. At the point when he becomes economically active do we really think he's going to bother buying a licence?

All his friends are the same. The BBC is toast in 10-15 years. 

HOLA446

Hooray, the Boys Buggering Corporation's death notice is being prepared. People buy a licence for roughly fifty years (ages 25 - 75) so every five years from now they will lose ten per cent of their current revenue; that's sustainable.

Principled BBC refuseniks like me, Spunko, The Gardener, and Joe may claim the moral honours but it's the tablet watching millenials that will actually kill it.

HOLA447
47 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Hooray, the Boys Buggering Corporation's death notice is being prepared. People buy a licence for roughly fifty years (ages 25 - 75) so every five years from now they will lose ten per cent of their current revenue; that's sustainable.

Principled BBC refuseniks like me, Spunko, The Gardener, and Joe may claim the moral honours but it's the tablet watching millenials that will actually kill it.

My 84 year old Mum finds the BBC unwatchable so it is not just kids.

I don't think it is just technology. All the BBC bankable assets such as David Attenborough have gone and there is absolutely no sign of any talent to replace it. The whole institution is mired in mediocrity to the extent that the Test Card would be more watchable  than some of the programs they air. Since it does not face the financial challenges of the commercial providers it should be innovative. Instead, it is dull, safe and predictable - never more so than at Christmas. This is the one time of the year when they have a good chance to capture a big audience with a bit of effort yet it seems they don't even try. The entire staff of the BBC seem to f*ck off on their holidays precisely at the moment they should be pulling out all the stops to entertain their audience. 

HOLA448
HOLA449

I need to have a chat with the wife, persuade her our TV license fee could be better spent elsewhere, the amount of BBC content we now consume is tiny, like others we've only flicked on BBC momentarily before switching to other providers on-demand content.

Our kids have no concept of TV schedules, they look at me as if I'm stupid if I say a program isn't on until a certain time/day, and the BBC is just another boring channel, they won't be held by nostalgia to support it when they are adults.

HOLA4410
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

We must be very close to the point where the majority of people who watch the BBC dont pay for a license.

The BBC needs to have arcoket up its ar5e. The rate of change is huge now and they cannot justify the license.

Ist step wold be to let you discount Netflix from the 145 license.

Im not in media but if I was Id be avoiding the BBC.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

No terrestrial TV for me either. I'll watch Doctor Who, but happy to wait until I can see it outside of iPlayer.  

We ended up watching a couple of blu-rays I got from Poundland.  Shrek 4 (OK story, lacked wit of previous instalments), Welcome to the Punch (decent Brit thriller), Butler (good retelling of US black rights movement over a number of decades). 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

This is all great news :) I don't understand why the government didn't make an amendment to the license renewal that made them implement a way to just block you watching BBC, ITV and channel 4 if you haven't payed.  I hardly see how this could be controversial.

Must admit I watched Home Alone for the first time and enjoyed it (obviously could have watched it from many sources over the years).

HOLA4415

Getting both the Christmas edition tv and radio times used to be very much a part of the run up to Christmas, particularly to see what the big Christmas movie was (generally The Great Escape, or Ice Station Zebra and often a 5 year old Bond movie).

These days no. Will watch something on Netflix or PPV, but certainly not terrestrial (particularly as I'm in Canada and the frequency of ad breaks make everything unwatchable)

HOLA4416

My Mum yesterday: "Do you have a telly magazine I can look at, as I can't remember what film is on tonight".

Me: "Sorry Mum, not had one for years, but there's a guide on the TV. Although if you want to watch anything I'm sure we can just find it to watch now".

Made me realise I never really check the guide anymore, unless it's just to see what's on at the moment when I'm bored.

Watching uncle buck at the moment though which is a usual film for me at Christmas :)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
14 minutes ago, council dweller said:

my 80 year old BIL is actually angry because we haven't had a license for 12 years !!

Just think about it....

Btw, can I join your club ?

12 years? Good lad!

I just did a sum - 12 years at current rates is 80% of a months take home pay for me. I'd count that as a significant saving.

HOLA4420

Must be the first year I haven't actually sat and watched any TV on Xmas Day or for that matter today, was at the sister in-laws yesterday and corrie was on in the background as we played some silly card games, struck me that its the same as it was 10 years ago except everyone is older. Still fancy Jane Danson tho.

Spent some time this evening putting Raspberian operating system on a nearly 10 year old Asus EEPC which was the first netbook and the first to use a SSD instead of a HDD but has remained unused for the last 7 years since its 4GB SSD was too small for anything. Works fab now with the just launched Raspberry Pi operating system on a 16GB SD card with no hassle getting it up and running.

Time better spent than in front of the box imho.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

The BBC used to crank out some cracking comedies, don't even think that's the case any more. 

True on both counts Joe.

There was a time when one single punch-line from a Christmas-Special of a BBC comedy would be repeated around the country until at least late-July.

My particular favourite is from Frank Spencer in "Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em".

"The donkey has just done a whoopsie in the corridor"..!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4423
27 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

True on both counts Joe.

There was a time when one single punch-line from a Christmas-Special of a BBC comedy would be repeated around the country until at least late-July.

;)

XYY

Indeed; as I type this I'm wearing my 'Gold, Frankenstein and Grr' Christmas jumper; a homage to the Bottom Christmas special.

CWrBmZ6WEAI1L96.jpg

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

True on both counts Joe.

;)

XYY

The chandelier, surely the chandelier.

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Indeed; as I type this I'm wearing my 'Gold, Frankenstein and Grr' Christmas jumper; a homage to the Bottom Christmas special.

CWrBmZ6WEAI1L96.jpg

:)

It's up there with, and sadly among the last of, the best of them Joe.

Never get sick of seeing it...

XYY

Archived