House Price Crash Forum

Sonos - overpriced shite

Longtermrenter

HOLA441

At the risk of offending Sonos owning HPCers I have the following views to offer.

Sister in law had a Sonos Play 5 given to her by her husband the Xmas. Apart from the excessive £400 splurge for two people who go on about watching their money, I thought the sound was atrocious. I know you can tune these to the room but I work in audio, know what sounds good and also know these room tuning algorithms are extremely limited by physics.

Honestly, you could get yourself an amazing hi-fi second hand for this money , or countless other brands like JBL which offer serious performance to price ratios. Can't believe people are taken in by this crap. Hyped bass, brittle highs and lacking in midrange. Plastic turd in my opinion. Merry Christmas everybody.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I recently bought an old pair of b & w 600s on ebay for about £20. Picked up a cheap Bluetooth amp from amazon (made by DROK for £22).

For less than £45 I have a Bluetooth set up I imagine would be at least the equal of a sonos system.

granted it is not multi room but as you say £400 should be getting you a pretty decent set up

HOLA443

F*ck me, £400? Had no idea they were that much.

Mate of mine got one recently; he's generally far better at spending money than me! I have a little Cambridge Audio speaker that cost me £100 that I use on the rare occasion that I want to listen to music or a podcast through a speaker:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Audio-Minx-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B00C0SGCLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482709055&sr=8-1&keywords=cambridge+audio+speaker

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I can see the point of Sonos (no, I dont have one), as you can have multiple speakers, and can stream one source to all of them..Bose do something similar with their SoundTouch.  Thus, you could have a set of purely wireless 5.1 speakers...Admittedly with the Playbar thrown in, you could be looking at 1500 quid..

HOLA448
HOLA449
31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Time that someone else such as Amazon knocked one out for £50.

Well except for the fact that the sound on the Echo is shite too.

I was having this exact discussion the other day with some fairly hardcore engineering colleagues.

And to a man (well they were all men), everyone agreed that people were being some how siren like  seduced into discussing sample rates and all the digital aspects, whilst ignoring some of the analogue basics like Amplifier and speaker response.

So again, it probably falls to us guys in our early forties, who may have caught the last vestiges of the of the pre-CD world to explain this stuff. We are not anti-digital music, we are just anti the trend brought about by the portability of digital music and direct headphone use to then slip into selecting rubbish amps and speakers just because you are used to rubbish headphones.

BTW, I also dislike headphones as they damage hearing.  Early forties and I can hear unto about 15.4KHz, whereas I know late 20 years olds who can only manage 12KHz,

HOLA4410

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Status symbol technology for the feeble minded. 

Both apple airplay and Google Chromecast audio beat sonos in the distributed digital audio realm, for sound quality and flexibility, at a much lower price. But you need to think a bit.

I heard a sonos system and thought it sounded terrible. 

HOLA4415

I have a Cowon MP3 player.

I dont like the idea off using up my phone battery for music. Besides, the Cowon will last about 60h on one charge.

The sound and music format support is great.

However, the GUI was designed by Stevie Wonder and the touch screen is insane.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 hours ago, Clarky Cat said:

£400?

You can get a raspberry Pi, DAC, decent second hand amp + speakers for half that.

Bob on. In fact you could get a decent set of wharfdales with a pi and decent amp x2 to go multiroom if you so desire for around £400 (well you might have to skimp on the amp a bit if you want 7.1 and more speakers)

my friend was banging on about sonos but I've persuaded him to wire up each room with speaker cable and network cable so we can do it properly. 

HOLA4420
21 minutes ago, thombleached said:

Bob on. In fact you could get a decent set of wharfdales with a pi and decent amp x2 to go multiroom if you so desire for around £400 (well you might have to skimp on the amp a bit if you want 7.1 and more speakers)

my friend was banging on about sonos but I've persuaded him to wire up each room with speaker cable and network cable so we can do it properly. 

I have little problem streaming stereo hires over wifi

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
16 minutes ago, thombleached said:

Network cables probably overkill for music, but it gives him the option to stream video should he want to add things overtime

16 minutes ago, thombleached said:

Network cables probably overkill for music, but it gives him the option to stream video should he want to add things overtime

Video too, in 720p hidef. Maybe hidef plus 7 channel hires audio woukd be different! Certainly Ethernet would improve on the odd dropped connection I get.

HOLA4423
11 hours ago, Longtermrenter said:

At the risk of offending Sonos owning HPCers I have the following views to offer.

Sister in law had a Sonos Play 5 given to her by her husband the Xmas. Apart from the excessive £400 splurge for two people who go on about watching their money, I thought the sound was atrocious. I know you can tune these to the room but I work in audio, know what sounds good and also know these room tuning algorithms are extremely limited by physics.

Honestly, you could get yourself an amazing hi-fi second hand for this money , or countless other brands like JBL which offer serious performance to price ratios. Can't believe people are taken in by this crap. Hyped bass, brittle highs and lacking in midrange. Plastic turd in my opinion. Merry Christmas everybody.

Should of got an Amazon Echo, brilliant piece of kit and the sound is perfectly adequate for a non-audiophile household like ours. But if you are an audiophile, you can always get the cheaper Echo Dot and connect to whatever sound sytem you already have.

HOLA4424
12 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Video too, in 720p hidef. Maybe hidef plus 7 channel hires audio woukd be different! Certainly Ethernet would improve on the odd dropped connection I get.

I've got a network port in each room, most films/Tv on the NAS is 1080p DTS-HD. I doubt wireless would touch it. 

Like you say though, wireless works fine for most - certainly a lot better than it used to be and leccy ports can always take 10/100 fairly well. 

I just like knowing it'll work 100% of the time :)

mind you, there's only one room that's got an amp/speakers that make use of the DTS. 

Next thing to upgrade is the NAS, 5TB runs out pretty quickly. 

HOLA4425

Archived