House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

50p coin and other collecting

I have a number of Olympic 50p's and one rare Kew garden 50p. All show up in change once in a while. With the beautrix potter 50p releases the market values have gone crazy. Or maybe it is off the back of the Pokemon collecting craze? The Kew Gardens 50p has doubled in market value in a year!  Any collectors out there ? (Not just coins) 

I have this incredibly rare four piece historic bridges collection (Isambard kingdom Brunel i think) 

30xh8o0.jpg

Minted on the back of one pound coins this incredibly rare collection can be yours for just £20 (posted) ^_^

There is a five piece 50p collection with 5 coins making up a picture of a Sheild, this one shows the bottom of the sheild

of7brp.jpg

I had the full set but i spent them on the local bridge toll. 

Seven-sided train-spotters the friggin' lot of you..!!!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I have a 100 Trillion dollar note from Zimbabwe. I think I paid £5. They are trading for £20 now.

I'll sell when we get parity.

Coin collectiong was more interesting pre-decimal. I remember Victorian pennies worn smooth.

Not sure why Victorians rubbed their pennies smooth, a mystery.

And irish coins which were the same size were a novelty.

On 25/12/2016 at 9:03 PM, workingpoor said:

There is a five piece 50p collection with 5 coins making up a picture of a Sheild, this one shows the bottom of the sheild

of7brp.jpg

I had the full set but i spent them on the local bridge toll. 

Are you sure? I have the sheild  set made up one from each coin in circulation. I.e. a 1p, a 2p, a 5p...

On 26/12/2016 at 0:30 AM, happy_renting said:

Coin collectiong was more interesting pre-decimal. I remember Victorian pennies worn smooth.

Early pennies were copper and wore down quite badly.  They changed to bronze mid 19th century to stop the wear.  

I have most of the £2 coins (I just put the different ones in a mug for interest) and some of the 50p coins.

Every month or so I see an article saying that a particular one is valuable; most recently WWF 50p for £50 and Dickens £2 for £20.

I don't believe a word of this, they're neither rare nor old, and anybody paying £40 for a new fiver with the AA01 serial number has just wasted £35.

With coins, condition is everything. And they should never be cleaned with anyting stronger than soapy water.

I lost interest in coin collecting after decimalisation. But I still have a lot of my old pocket money tied up in half crowns and florins. I even have a 1952 sixpence and a 1959 scottish shilling somewhere... I was excited when I found those.

In retrospect it would have been more fun to have got Mary G****** to take off her knickers for 30 seconds. She'd do it for a shilling. The price went up when we went to secondary school, I heard.

Yes the Kew Gardens 50p was very nice and I failed to collect one.

28 minutes ago, winkie said:

50p when it was worth something.;)

0002563_10_js_fforde__400.jpg

I have one of those stored in my box of treasured posessions

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have one of those stored in my box of treasured posessions

Whereas I have three-and-six in loose change.

And several Drachmas...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

On 12/26/2016 at 0:30 AM, happy_renting said:

They were just enjoying having two pennies to rub together..

14 hours ago, dgul said:

Early pennies were copper and wore down quite badly.  They changed to bronze mid 19th century to stop the wear.  

I was referring to worn bronze (1860 on) pennies. The larger copper pennies (pre 1860) you never saw. With one exception. An elderly gent I knew got a William IV penny in fine condition in his change and gave it to me. I still have it somewhere, it's a beautiful coin. it's a mystery how it got to be in his change.

2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

I was referring to worn bronze (1860 on) pennies. The larger copper pennies (pre 1860) you never saw. With one exception. An elderly gent I knew got a William IV penny in fine condition in his change and gave it to me. I still have it somewhere, it's a beautiful coin. it's a mystery how it got to be in his change.

He must have used that time machine I sold on Ebay in 1973.

I have a box of old money (mostly pennies I think) that I inherited from somewhere. The only other thing I have is a £1 note which I saved myself when they went out of production (only because I found it after they went out of circulation and since I couldn't spend it just kept it for posterity). I think it also has quite a nice picture of Darwin on it.

Surely this must be a bubble/fad. I've got a huge bag of freshly minted D-Day 50p pieces that got lost down the back of some shelving and rediscovered years later. Looking at ebay they're actually going for about £15 each - although I would certainly crash the market if I tried to sell them all at once that does seem ridiculous considering wiki says about six million odd were minted. I guess a coin size change and the previous one going out of circulation might constrict things but you would think a coin, as recent as that, would be in the hands of anyone who happened to be collecting at the time.

Anyone else had stuff come through, bought on ebay, using commemorative stamps from the eighties?

Has a seller inherited a stamp collection, oblivious to its potential value, or are they actually worth no more than face value?

On 25 December 2016 at 8:58 PM, workingpoor said:

I have this incredibly rare four piece historic bridges collection (Isambard kingdom Brunel i think) 

30xh8o0.jpg

Minted on the back of one pound coins this incredibly rare collection can be yours for just £20 (posted) ^_^

Willing to take £18 (posted) 

On 27 December 2016 at 9:44 AM, Hail the Tripod said:

Are you sure? I have the sheild  set made up one from each coin in circulation. I.e. a 1p, a 2p, a 5p...

It may well have been a mix of coins making up the shield, i did have the set but just have the 50p left. 

Numismatist! It's worse than being called a paedo!

On 27/12/2016 at 11:37 AM, Frank Hovis said:

I have most of the £2 coins (I just put the different ones in a mug for interest) and some of the 50p coins.

Every month or so I see an article saying that a particular one is valuable; most recently WWF 50p for £50 and Dickens £2 for £20.

I don't believe a word of this, they're neither rare nor old, and anybody paying £40 for a new fiver with the AA01 serial number has just wasted £35.

Oddly the AK47 five pound notes seem to go for crazy money on eBay. Then there are these an artist has put his stamp on http://www.itv.com/news/2016-12-30/rare-5-note-worth-up-to-50-000-found-in-christmas-card/

I've just got the new two pound coin, with Shakespeare's skull on it! Wicked!:o