House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

Something that blows my mind

So... I've had a few and thought I would share something that blows my mind.

If we assume that one generation is about 25-30 years then the entirety of human civilisation is covered by about 400 generations. Only 40 people have ruled the British isles since the Norman invasion. You could fit them all in a small conference room. Am I alone in finding these ridiculously small numbers?

38 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

See... I told you I;d had a few.

Mods, move this to off topic before I have the embarrassment of someone in the serious bit reading it.

The forum would be a great deal richer if you'd suspend your  retirement from "the serious bit" and start mixing it with the rest of us (who are all idiots and trolls, just like our political leaders in the great wide world beyond the forum).

Admittedly, you might have to deal with somebody rudely disagreeing with you (even if you are right and they are actually wrong).

Nobody knows anything for sure. Everybody is making it up as they go along.

That's why this forum is so f**king cool.

Welcome back to HP&TE.

6 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

If all life on the planet was an hour long equivalent, then humans existence would take up one minute of that.

I think it is more like a fifth of a second. Life = 4.1 Billion years. Humans = 200,000 years.

(2x10^5 /4.1x10^9 ) x 3600 = 0.1756

I see no meritocracy! Pinworld is in the post!

Yes it is amazing; and having these comparisons brings it home how short it has been.

An episode of British Isles: A Natural History (Alan Titchmarsh) went to a small football ground (Yeovil) to show how few people were living in Britain in the centuries after the ice retreated, basically the crowd of 5,000.

And something on the Bronze Age quoted the few generations between them and us; I don't recall the figure but it was surprisingly low.

Another good one is to transpose how long we were ruled by Rome, roughly 400 years, to the present so that if we were now just at the end of the period of Roman rule then it would have started in 1616!

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes it is amazing; and having these comparisons brings it home how short it has been.

An episode of British Isles: A Natural History (Alan Titchmarsh) went to a small football ground (Yeovil) to show how few people were living in Britain in the centuries after the ice retreated, basically the crowd of 5,000.

And something on the Bronze Age quoted the few generations between them and us; I don't recall the figure but it was surprisingly low.

Another good one is to transpose how long we were ruled by Rome, roughly 400 years, to the present so that if we were now just at the end of the period of Roman rule then it would have started in 1616!

5000!  We wish...

My maths is always a bit flaky but here's one to rock the 30/40 year old crew.

The Maltese Falcon was not as old when Star Wars was released as Star Wars is now.

1 hour ago, RichB said:

My maths is always a bit flaky but here's one to rock the 30/40 year old crew.

The Maltese Falcon was not as old when Star Wars was released as Star Wars is now.

Along similar lines,

When I was at primary school I was closer to the end of WW1 than I am now to being at primary school.

The first point just goes to show that we've got a rather odd view of time, things often described as ancient (at least human things) really aren't that long ago. Let alone when people regard 100 years or so as the distant past instead of very recent (which is why they should be an awful lot more scared than they are at the rate of change).

Still, it seems odd to think that there's hardly anyone left (perhaps one or two?) born in the 1800s.

Something like 10% of people that have ever lived are alive now. 

There was also something like a 50% chance of having air breathed by Caesar in your lungs at any time (although a quick check of This seems to suggest ~1 molecule from his last dying breath). 

As I said to my uncle last weekend when he was boring the children about WWI, and was surprised at their lack of knowledge about the subject.

The First World War is longer ago for them than the Crimean War was for you when you were their age.

It didn't shut him up.  I think he likes wars.

10 hours ago, frozen_out said:

So... I've had a few and thought I would share something that blows my mind.

If we assume that one generation is about 25-30 years then the entirety of human civilisation is covered by about 400 generations. Only 40 people have ruled the British isles since the Norman invasion. You could fit them all in a small conference room. Am I alone in finding these ridiculously small numbers?

Basically, when we get back to around 500 years ago everyone in Europe today, who is European, has a common ancestor living then. We are all related to that one person.

Treat yourself to this:

A Brief History of Everyone who Ever Lived: The Stories in Our Genes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brief-History-Everyone-Ever-Lived/dp/0297609378/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482579951&sr=1-1&keywords=dna+history

You can listen to the author at the NakedScientists link below:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/adam-rutherford-everyone-who-ever-lived

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Something like 10% of people that have ever lived are alive now. 

There was also something like a 50% chance of having air breathed by Caesar in your lungs at any time (although a quick check of This seems to suggest ~1 molecule from his last dying breath). 

It is the same with water. Most of us will have drunk some water, at some point in our lives, that was drunk by Cleopatra.

If you add up all the people who have ever lived on the planet they do not equal all the people alive right now. Which kinda busts a spoke in the reincarnation cycle theories.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is the same with water. Most of us will have drunk some water, at some point in our lives, that was drunk by Cleopatra.

If you add up all the people who have ever lived on the planet they do not equal all the people alive right now. Which kinda busts a spoke in the reincarnation cycle theories.

Surely if Cleopatra drank the water that means we are drinking pee pee, eeeew.

I'd drink Cleopatra's pee for nothing.