House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Why do walnuts look like brains?

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Why do brains look like walnuts?

Have you stocked up on pickled walnuts? I love those.

Pickled eggs for me!

Ancient Greek doctors used to prescribe walnuts for brain diseases because of the resemblance, true story.

Maybe little things like this is the Universe's way of letting us know that there is some greater meaning to everything? Or maybe God ran out of ideas?

Statistically, in the vastness of the Universe, to have two organisms to look so similar is fascinating. Perhaps the Universe's creator never thought that we would go poking around inside our heads? Obviously, for a long, long time in Human history people were olivious that walnuts and brains look the same.

Well I think it's a splendid question, especially at this time of kick-back-and-whittle-some time of year. I'm sure a botanist will know why, and maybe one will show up, but it's fun to speculate in the meantime.

Wiki says:

In large mammals, the cerebral cortex is folded, giving a much greater surface area in the confined volume of the skull.

So there is the suggestion at least from this that walnuts:

- need to be small

- have kernels that have a large surface area.

So, let's think about these separately:

SMALL

Most seeds are small. Coconut is an obvious exception. I could look up why, but again, it's fun to speculate. I'm guessing, given their often beach-side location, being hollow and bouyant allows them a distinct advantage in the proliferation stakes.

Given that all parts of a seed need to be intact for germination to proceed, I'm guessing that being small helps when your main mode of proliferation involves being eaten. Maybe horses eat walnuts and some, thanks to a smallish size, manage to pass through the horse whole, thus leading to proliferation.

The other reason for being small is an ability to be 'planted', ie become embedded in soil, where moisture can begin the process of germination. Beach balls will always sit on the surface of sand. Key-fobs of a similar weight do their best to make like King Tut.

There are probably other reasons for being small, including the real reason, but I'll make do with these two.

LARGE SURFACE AREA

Seeds need to interact with their environment. Usually that means 'absorb water'. Having a large surface area promotes any kind of environmental interaction, including water absorption. I'll settle for that.

So there's my guess. If you know better I'd be fascinated to learn some.

31 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Well I think it's a splendid question, especially at this time of kick-back-and-whittle-some time of year. I'm sure a botanist will know why, and maybe one will show up, but it's fun to speculate in the meantime.

Wiki says:

So there is the suggestion at least from this that walnuts:

- need to be small

- have kernels that have a large surface area.

So, let's think about these separately:

SMALL

Most seeds are small. Coconut is an obvious exception. I could look up why, but again, it's fun to speculate. I'm guessing, given their often beach-side location, being hollow and bouyant allows them a distinct advantage in the proliferation stakes.

Given that all parts of a seed need to be intact for germination to proceed, I'm guessing that being small helps when your main mode of proliferation involves being eaten. Maybe horses eat walnuts and some, thanks to a smallish size, manage to pass through the horse whole, thus leading to proliferation.

The other reason for being small is an ability to be 'planted', ie become embedded in soil, where moisture can begin the process of germination. Beach balls will always sit on the surface of sand. Key-fobs of a similar weight do their best to make like King Tut.

There are probably other reasons for being small, including the real reason, but I'll make do with these two.

LARGE SURFACE AREA

Seeds need to interact with their environment. Usually that means 'absorb water'. Having a large surface area promotes any kind of environmental interaction, including water absorption. I'll settle for that.

So there's my guess. If you know better I'd be fascinated to learn some.

Having just measured a coconut, I can confirm your assertion that they are big to be correct.

8 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

What about Marc "bukaki" Almond?

Our descent into "filth" appears to be rapid on this thread!:o

23 minutes ago, juvenal said:

The strawberry is the only fruit to carry its seeds on the outside.

I think you'll find that strawberries are vegetables...

8 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I think you'll find that strawberries are vegetables...

That's a nice festive hat Scunny!

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Maybe little things like this is the Universe's way of letting us know that there is some greater meaning to everything? Or maybe God ran out of ideas?

Statistically, in the vastness of the Universe, to have two organisms to look so similar is fascinating. Perhaps the Universe's creator never thought that we would go poking around inside our heads? Obviously, for a long, long time in Human history people were olivious that walnuts and brains look the same.

Fractals. Like the pattern of branching broccoli or inlets on a coasline keep repeating as they get smaller. Or the way froth stirred on the top of a cup of coffee has exactly the same pattern as a galaxy in space.

The reason for this is, the people who designed the matrix copied patterns here and there to save on code.

Over thousands of years, walnuts have multiplied. by making themselves edible they have ensured that their presence is tolerated by humans.

They look like brains because they are brains. They are the nutty threat that lurks in our midst.

By the time we realise, it will be too late.

Walnuts are everywhere. In our kitchens, our larders, in supermarkets. Soon they will be in government.

I, for one, welcome our new wrinkly overlords.

7 hours ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Fractals. Like the pattern of branching broccoli or inlets on a coasline keep repeating as they get smaller. Or the way froth stirred on the top of a cup of coffee has exactly the same pattern as a galaxy in space.

The reason for this is, the people who designed the matrix copied patterns here and there to save on code.

And the reason for wave particle duality. The Matrix isn't powerful to model everything all the time, so it just simulates on the fly when someone looks. 

Interesting article in New Scientist this week... the double slit experiment makes it possible to cover two slits with one barrier. Weird eh?

Edot to clarify... cover both slits by just covering one. Obviously you could have a bigger barrier that covers both.

When I step back on the beach from a dip in the North Sea in the middle of January, my scrotum very much resembles a walnut for a few minutes.

Obviously it quickly recovers its normal size - and soon resembles a huge pink medicine-ball once again.

But I do find the walnut stage somewhat disconcerting...

XYY

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

When I step back on the beach from a dip in the North Sea in the middle of January, my scrotum very much resembles a walnut for a few minutes.

Obviously it quickly recovers its normal size - and soon resembles a huge pink medicine-ball once again.

XYY

A huge pink medicine ball you say? Have you tried doing more shagging?

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

I'd see a doctor for that - swimming in the North Sea at that time of year also makes you partly invisible!

medicine-ball-workout-5.jpg