House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EnglishinWales

Happy Yule everyone

4 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

Thanks. Pity you don't really notice it getting lighter til March though...

We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it
I swear, livin' on a prayer

Hooray!

I have been counting down to  this.  From now on every day gets longer and the sun gets stronger; even if only by a minute a day summer is still getting closer by the day :)

2 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

First of all January and early Feb are typically the coldest, then you hit March thinking you've made it. But the misery continues and the leaves don't actually appear on the trees until May meaning dwelling in a bleak winterscape all the way for another 5 months from now.

You sound like the 'glass half empty' type to me... ;)

I've made an effort to very openly say Merry Christmas to everyone at work.  One SJW said 'no, happy holidays'.

"I stopped dead and said - No, Happy Christmas.  You would not ignore Diwali, so don't be so discriminatory against Christmas."

Was pleased to see her face crumple.

24 minutes ago, juvenal said:

My broad beans are showing....

I'm similarly afflicted but avoid this by always buying my kecks one size too large.

I celebrate the longest night by burning someone, as a sacrifice, in my Whicker Man - Not a typo, it's a giant Alan Whicker effigy.

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

I've made an effort to very openly say Merry Christmas to everyone at work.  One SJW said 'no, happy holidays'.

"I stopped dead and said - No, Happy Christmas.  You would not ignore Diwali, so don't be so discriminatory against Christmas."

Was pleased to see her face crumple.

Very nicely done sirrah!

Should get rid of Xmas as a national holiday.

Have a holiday on the 21st and teach kids in school why it's the shortest day and not some childish myth involving a virgin birth.

Keep religion out of the state.

I always think of Christmas as part of the natural order of celebrating mid winter. It was a Pagan celebration after all, which the church latched religious significance to. However I don't dismiss the Christian message that I've been brought up to respect. The basic philosophy of treat others like you would wish them to treat you. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of the season of goodwill to all men (women and children). 

I've never had a two neck guitar! It's because I'm not an arsehole!

4 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

Have a holiday on the 21st and teach kids in school why it's the shortest day and not some childish myth involving a virgin birth.

YES!

Before it was the 12 days of Christmas it was the 12 days of Yule. The church hijacked our traditional festival. Now it's forward 4-5 days which bears no relation to nature. Let's have a 12 day shutdown on the solstice, that takes us nicely to new year, without any special focus on the 25th.

16 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

Thanks. Pity you don't really notice it getting lighter til March though...

Certainly notice the evenings getting lighter first.  Earliest sunset this year, 12th December. But the mornings don't get moving properly until the New Year with the latest sunrise on 30th December

Slightly unsatisfactory that it is all lopsided and doesn't all occur on the 21st for the Yule celebrations. You know  watching the suset when the evenings  have been already drawing out.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london?month=12

7 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

Amen to that!

15 hours ago, The Eagle said:

You sound like the 'glass half empty' type to me... ;)

An optimist is usually disappointed, while a pessimist is sometimes pleasantly surprised.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

To celebrate the longest night, I shall follow the most sacred of ancient local customs. Drinking my bodyweight in ale at the ropiest boozer in the local area, with a bunch of mates.

MATES! You lucky barsteward.:huh: