House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

Police Sergeant Burns down his House

3 days after moving in.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4054534/Family-raze-400-year-old-865-000-dream-cottage-ground-three-days-moving-light-wood-burner-sets-thatched-roof-fire.html

A family have been left homeless at Christmas after their £865,000 cottage burnt to the ground just three days after they moved in when they lit a wood burner and it set fire to the thatched roof.

The Purdy family from Hertfordshire had barely settled into their 400-year-old dream home when it was razed to the ground by the blaze earlier this month.

The family had wanted to warm up the five-bedroom property so lit their wood-burner for the first time just days after moving in.

How much do police sergeants actually earn?

I suspect she's the breadwinner.

A lot of the comments are cynical, unsurprisingly. Surely if their intention was to burn it down to rebuild it as a McMansion, it begs the question why wouldn't they have bought a cheaper bungalow on a larger plot, and not apparently on a main road? Buying a period home is much more expensive.

16 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I suspect she's the breadwinner.

A lot of the comments are cynical, unsurprisingly. Surely if their intention was to burn it down to rebuild it as a McMansion, it begs the question why wouldn't they have bought a cheaper bungalow on a larger plot, and not apparently on a main road? Buying a period home is much more expensive.

Mrs Purdy, a project director for BT

WTF? Just read about the same thing on the Torygraph, and someone has set up a GoFundMe for these people. Presumably they are fully insured and have just purchased a house for £865k, and they want charity on top? F$%k me!

45 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

Will insurance cover gross stupidity ? 

Presumably the insurer/underwriter will ask to see evidence that the chimneystack was cleaned recently and the surveyor's report. If they've got a mortgage the mortgage company might have asked for that too... My surveyor flagged up the fact I needed to get a CCTV survey on a blocked stack before using it, and within 6 months of buying or before first use of the fire....

They've managed to burn down  a piece of National heritage , succeeding where candle light, open fires, paraffin heaters and dodgy wiring failed over the previous 400 years. Phew, at least they managed to save the kid's photographs. I guess that makes it alright in the end.

Not up to the Daily Mail's usual standard. They should have added the blaze was put out by a senior Fireman who lives in a £1.5m house.

There's a whole new genre of joke here;

Q; How would the Daily Mail report an Alien Invasion?

A; ' Home prices in the southeast plunge due to alien invaders' says local estate agent- 'But it's just a blip' he adds reassuringly. 'Demand is bound to increase long term due to the large number of extra-terrestrials moving into the area.'

Perhaps they had books, like in Fahrenheit 451.

1 hour ago, Nabby81 said:

Will insurance cover gross stupidity ? 

Depends on who their home insurers are. Some are strict, requiring yearly cctv flue inspections, chimney sweeping certificates, large clearances between ridge and top of chimney pots, even sensors on the roof. Others attach no special conditions to having fires in thatched houses. Inglenook type fireplaces with very large flues, most likely present in this house, are difficult to sweep properly without modern rotary power sweeping equipment. My guess is, even if lined, the flue was was full of all sorts that ignited and were drawn out by the draft onto the roof.

40 minutes ago, wonderpup said:

There's a whole new genre of joke here;

Q; How would the Daily Mail report an Alien Invasion?

A; ' Home prices in the southeast plunge due to alien invaders' says local estate agent- 'But it's just a blip' he adds reassuringly. 'Demand is bound to increase long term due to the large number of extra-terrestrials moving into the area.'

Local homeowners were reassured when the first communication from the aliens was: Take me to your lender.

Luckily coppers will need a degree soon, so they'll be a lot cleverer.

As for now, well we have to accept that your non-graduate plod is always going to think it's fine to light a fire in a million quid's worth of thatched cottage without considering whether there's a chance that the chimney hasn't been swept for a few years.

3 hours ago, SarahBell said:

Mrs Purdy, a project director for BT

So she'll be on ~£80k basic with car allowance and bonus pushing this closer to £90k and her husband probably earns closer to £50k with overtime.

HSBC easily has them affording a £650,000 mortgage. Not my ideal for stress free living but plausible.

I must say that when we first moved into our house we were scared to death by the roaring sound from the chimney when we lit our first fire. It was only then that we realised that the previous occupant had stuffed lots of newspaper up the chimney to stop the draught. Fortunately for us the shock ended there but it does show that unfamiliarity with a new house and the unpredictable practices of the previous occupant could account for such an event relatively easily.

Oh how us Northerners laugh at your tales of Southern chimney problems.

My whippet always laughs out loud, but my pigeons are a bit more surreptitious... 

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

So she'll be on ~£80k basic with car allowance and bonus pushing this closer to £90k and her husband probably earns closer to £50k with overtime.

HSBC easily has them affording a £650,000 mortgage. Not my ideal for stress free living but plausible.

The thing is, her job could be offshored at any moment, then where would she be?  I managers and directors are just as much in the cost cutting fireingline as anyone else.  No doubt the bank still thinks it operates within sensible lending guidelines ???

But, but, but .... wood burners burn clean, so how could there be anything flammable up the flue?

We know this must be true because cities like Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens are all looking to ban diesel cars to safeguard  dwellers health, even as cities like London allow more and more wood burning stoves.

18 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

even as cities like London allow more and more wood burning stoves.

https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

Under the Clean Air Act, the whole of Manchester has been designated a Smoke Control Area since 1985 - this was to improve local air quality.

It is an offence for an occupier of a premise within a Smoke Control Area to allow emissions of smoke from a chimney, unless 'authorised fuel' is us

Oldham:  We enforce the controls in operational smoke control areas. These have been in place in many areas to ban the burning of smoky fuels, such as coal or wood.

3 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

He's 38 and might have been able to buy his first place in his early 20s in the late 90s early 00s. If so he might have been able to buy a flat/house when he was young and ride the wave of HPI which could account for a couple of £100,000 towards the new place. The same with her but at 32 she wouldn't see as much HPI.

It's annoying the way the DM has reported it: Homeless for Xmas.

Apparently £3,000 has been donated to their cause so far. They're comparatively wealthy, they could probably rent short term. What about the hundreds of thousands of homeless in shelters and street homeless who the DM likes to refer to as feckless scroungers.

And the way the wife is all 'we have lost everything', nobody died FGS.