House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

casual_squash

Getting someone sectioned?

So long story short my partners Alcoholic Auntie is simply imploding. She has been on and off for years but recently it's reached the tipping point. 

It's escalated to the point of her verbally abusing the kids and attacking the partner and cutting all ties with family. 

She intentionally tried setting fire to the house and kicked out her young kids and partner onto the street forcing them to sleep on friends couches..etc. 

Yet the Police and Social services just won't act and saw fit for the kids to return to her house now. 

Is there some sort of 'playing the system' routine that has to be played before you can get someone sectioned because the woman is clearly crying out for it? I find it utterly bizarre in a world where I hear about over zealous social workers suddenly unable to step in. It's quite surreal.

Anyone here had any prior experience? 

2 minutes ago, casual_squash said:

So long story short my partners Alcoholic Auntie is simply imploding. She has been on and off for years but recently it's reached the tipping point. 

It's escalated to the point of her verbally abusing the kids and attacking the partner and cutting all ties with family. 

She intentionally tried setting fire to the house and kicked out her young kids and partner onto the street forcing them to sleep on friends couches..etc. 

Yet the Police and Social services just won't act and saw fit for the kids to return to her house now. 

Is there some sort of 'playing the system' routine that has to be played before you can get someone sectioned because the woman is clearly crying out for it? I find it utterly bizarre in a world where I hear about over zealous social workers suddenly unable to step in. It's quite surreal.

With respect to the bolded parts above - does she need "sectioning" as such, or, just to stop drinking so much - is it really insanity? As many reading this might think that the alcohol is a big part of the cause, or put another way, that needs to be eliminated as the cause before assessing underlying mental health issues.

What has her partner done about it? Could he seek an injunction?

I was looking into this only last week for a friend. Awful experience, good for you for trying to help your family. As Mark says, sectioning may not be appropriate. Injunction or non-molestation order is probably way to go first but they're only short term but will allow other measures to be put in place and may shock her into sorting herself out:

https://www.gov.uk/injunction-domestic-violence/how-to-apply

http://www.mensadviceline.org.uk/mens_advice.php.html

There should be some local support groups for domestic violence who can help and can also get the injunction put in place very quickly - within 24 hours. Worth talking to them I'd say.

She can share a cell with me! I am not mad.

An eccentric / mad / alcoholic ex colleague was sectioned by the concerned landlord of his local pub; you don't need to be related.

That it was tied up with his drinking didn't seem to be an issue

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/mentalhealthservices/Documents/Detention _Under _The _Mental _Health _Act _Factsheet.pdf

 This is only done when you are putting your own safety or someone else’s at risk.

If you have problems with alcohol or drug use, you can only be sectioned if you have a mental disorder as well as a drug or alcohol problem.2

I don't know the full picture to be honest but she's been on off for years with the drink by the sounds of it. She has been down the route of recovering and just keeps on relapsing. 

The authorities should have a full record of all incidents, the fire engine was at the house only the other week yet it's the male partner who has to sleep on his mothers couch whilst the kids are placed under her care in the house. There is no alternative at the moment. She must be about 7 stone wet and she hasn't physically attacked him so not sure how far that gets you with domestic violence.

The only time the police appeared to spring into action was when she accused him .of it. Then it was statements all round. 

She yelled some pretty obscene stuff to her young kids (all recorded) but again, nothing. 

Is this some sort of tunnel vision of the authorities because the perpetrator isn't the atypical violent, alcoholic white man? Utterly bizarre situation I feel for the guy as he appears to have exhausted all avenues. She's even ruining his life because the banks keep on giving her credit cards to max out and put them both increasingly into debt. It's odious behaviour. 

He seems entirely dependent on getting the consent of a crazy alcoholic to willingly agree to move out or sell up which is the next avenue.

3 minutes ago, One-percent said:

You need to get in touch with your feminine side ccc. :)

I'm half mental. That's enough feminism for me. 

11 minutes ago, ccc said:

All burds are mental. 

I can't say this enough. 

I don't quite get yer anti woman thing!

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I don't quite get yer anti woman thing!

It's not anti. It's just saying they are mental. Different things. 

I like lots of mental things and mental people.

1 hour ago, casual_squash said:

Has the husband of this lady asked you to get involved? If not, my advice would be to stay well out of it. 

Not me personally,, just my partner and her mother have been trying to help the husband. 

I fully intend to stay out of it. Everyone's main concern is the children and unfortunately we just don't live close enough to help out. 

Make an anonymous call, pretending to be a bystander and give a fake name, to the local nick reporting her. Do this enough times and something will be done.

Just now, spunko2010 said:

Make an anonymous call, pretending to be a bystander and give a fake name, to the local nick reporting her. Do this enough times and something will be done.

If that destroys the family the husband may not thank you for sticking your nose into his business! 

1 hour ago, casual_squash said:

He seems entirely dependent on getting the consent of a crazy alcoholic to willingly agree to move out or sell up which is the next avenue.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It looks like the partner has some long-term decisions to make.

If, when authorities look into this, he "covers for her" or downplays the seriousness of it, then to a bystander looking at this, it can't be a big problem requiring external or State action.

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

If that destroys the family the husband may not thank you for sticking your nose into his business! 

Well, yes, I was going on the basis the OP was fully prepared to 'help'. Personally I'd sit it out and wait, people aren't as appreciative as you'd think, but since they asked...

Unfortunately, her partner is probably going to have do the lion's work. Screaming abuse at kids/partner probably falls into the normal expected range of behaviour within couples. But it's how that makes the partner/kids feel/modify their behaviour that turns it into abuse. The best thing the partner can do is talk about it with someone else (can you offer a listening ear?), keep a record of any incidents and never ever retaliate. 

Sectioning is something you can play a part in if you so desire. Un-sectioning is completely out of your control. Think of it as a one way ticket to the moon. Now how keen are you?

1 hour ago, Sledgehead said:

Sectioning is something you can play a part in if you so desire. Un-sectioning is completely out of your control. Think of it as a one way ticket to the moon. Now how keen are you?

Well at the moment the only alternative I'm seeing is she eventually dies but brings down her family along the self destruction path shes on. 

The husband it sounds like is close to his breaking point now drowning in the debt of his alcoholic wife, with no where to live and leaving his kids at her mercy. 

We want to avoid the worst case scenario but seemingly social services won't step in until the worst case scenario.