House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

ROOFER’S STUPIDITY EARNS HIM SIX MONTHS IN PRISON!

11 hours ago, SarahBell said:

The guy says on the FB post:  I'm more pissed of there classing me as a roofer. I'm not that bad 1f602.png?1f602.png?  

I've got a pair of trainers just like that.

I'm not at all clear what law has been broken here. Companies have a duty of care to employees and can be fined under HSE rules, but I can't see how the employee (if that is what he is) is in breach of any duty of care. The judge said he was the only one at risk. If the public were at risk, again there could be a case.

And if this guy can get six months for this, what about this guy in Southampton:

Anyone care to explain?

Can't see the OP's attatchment - forum problem?

But I suppose it's another case of a citizen using his Smartphone to capture evidence of one of his fellow citizen's wrongdoing, and to pass it on to the authorities via the website.

This has the double bonus of us all being entertained/ shocked/ amused and at the same time the authorities get a bust without even a complaint being made or an investigation carried out.

Read 1984 lately? It's surprising how that book is becoming less fictional.

22 hours ago, SarahBell said:

The guy says on the FB post:  I'm more pissed of there classing me as a roofer. I'm not that bad 1f602.png?1f602.png?  

I have done a couple of parachute jumps, but, nonetheless, pictures like that still give me vertigo.

11 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

I'm not at all clear what law has been broken here. Companies have a duty of care to employees and can be fined under HSE rules, but I can't see how the employee (if that is what he is) is in breach of any duty of care. The judge said he was the only one at risk. If the public were at risk, again there could be a case.

Anyone care to explain?

It's reported in the Mail too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4050326/Construction-worker-pictured-balancing-scaffolding-90ft-building-site-without-safety-equipment-given-suspended-jail-sentence-4-500-fine.html

It also fails to mention under what law he was charged. 

29 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

I have done a couple of parachute jumps, but, nonetheless, pictures like that still give me vertigo.

I must have hundreds of hours strapped to a parachute at 3-6thousand feet and near a thousand hours soaring at around that height. That too gives me vertigo, I was shouting at my screen, pleading for him to keep both hands on the rails. I feel for his parents more than anything else, my heart would sink if it were my flesh and blood.

17 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I must have hundreds of hours strapped to a parachute at 3-6thousand feet and near a thousand hours soaring at around that height. That too gives me vertigo, I was shouting at my screen, pleading for him to keep both hands on the rails. I feel for his parents more than anything else, my heart would sink if it were my flesh and blood.

I was nearly sick looking at that. His parents, girlfriend/boyfriend must have been worried sick if they saw that. Not sure what law he has broken though.   

To stop the obvious confusion, this is the incident caught on camera.

David-Mulholland-pictured-on-the-King-St

10 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Six months in prison looks bloody ridiculous for that. Should've been thrown off the job and left at that.

I think it was a suspended sentence (despite my choice of subject)

4 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

I think it was a suspended sentence (despite my choice of subject)

Suspended sentence, groan (even if you were being serious).

1 hour ago, happy_renting said:

You were pushed!

This is the shocking moment construction worker David Mulholland stood on top of some scaffolding in the rain while working on a Manchester city building site 

What 6-8 feet off the lift below  the country has gone mad ...disciplinary/sack at most

The scaffholders who would have had to complete the job he was standing on would have had a harness on for sure but the arrestor on that harness would see them landing in the same place with the same force if they fell as the bloke in the picture 

I hope who ever took that photo an reported him are happy with the result ..costing someone their job and leaving them with a criminal conviction 

2 hours ago, long time lurking said:

This is the shocking moment construction worker David Mulholland stood on top of some scaffolding in the rain while working on a Manchester city building site 

What 6-8 feet off the lift below  the country has gone mad ...disciplinary/sack at most

The scaffholders who would have had to complete the job he was standing on would have had a harness on for sure but the arrestor on that harness would see them landing in the same place with the same force if they fell as the bloke in the picture 

I hope who ever took that photo an reported him are happy with the result ..costing someone their job and leaving them with a criminal conviction 

Loft conversion near me saw a guy, in monsoon like rain, standing on a single plank, itself only resting on a scaff handrail, similar drop, over-stretching himself, operating a nailgun in the direction of his workmates face.

Granted, nailguns have mechanisms to help prevent accidents, but even so, I found it impossible to get any authority interested, seemingly simply because the work was of a domestic, residential nature. WTF?