House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acid In The Punch Bowl

Are city dwellers better educated and more informed than those in the country?

We hear this on the news endlessly during during Brexit, Trump etc. However, my own personal experience would suggest the opposite.

My experience of the countryside is good schools, well educated people, generally older so more worldly. My experience of living in London is that there are a lot of high earners, well educated. Probably the highest achievers in the country, but that that number is dwarfed by the amount of people living a much more meagre lifestyle and I would imagine, not terribly well informed. The London schools I have seen look terrible unless you can go private.

Is there any data to back up the assertion that city dwellers are better educated/informed?

It's an odd assertion to make, as though there were a typical city dweller or country dweller.

Personally I was better read when I lived in London because I would rather read a book then walk along a crowded, polluted city street. In the country I would rather go for a walk so read less.

It's all nonsense really. Like with Trump.

Apparently, any white Trump voters were dumb and uneducated yet I've not seen any media comment on the educational background of black Trump voters, unsurprisingly.

We can haz internetz in the country too. 

I see dumb close minded people with small world views in the city as well as the countryside.  The city probably does mean greater exposure by default to a wider diversity of viewpoints, people of different backgrounds and the number of people means it benefits from network effects - but it's also perfectly possible to stay in your own bubble in the city (or look beyond it in the countryside). 

The internet was one of my reasons for moving back to the countryside. I like the cultural/better shopping experiences on offer, but the internet offers 80-90% of the same - and that means the benefits of living in the countryside now outweigh those of living in the city (for me at least). 

I live in a courty area, and

i say talk about poo!

The education you get by living in a big city is a great education....Some schools are very good others not so good, in the country I would say they are more evenly balanced, but they do not have as many highly educated people living outside in the environment to learn from. ;)

the question i would as is "Better educated at what ?"

I think that city dwellers are better educated with respect to living in a city and what might be termed 'culture', which if your food arrives in a lorry and you don't need to understand nature and the environment, is perhaps fine.

I think rural dwellers (I would remove the city dwellers that opted for homes in the country) are better educated with respect to the Earth, food production and the environment etc.

I'd argue the rural dwellers have a better education and are more worldly.

41 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

We can haz internetz in the country too. 

I see dumb close minded people with small world views in the city as well as the countryside.  The city probably does mean greater exposure by default to a wider diversity of viewpoints, people of different backgrounds and the number of people means it benefits from network effects - but it's also perfectly possible to stay in your own bubble in the city (or look beyond it in the countryside). 

The internet was one of my reasons for moving back to the countryside. I like the cultural/better shopping experiences on offer, but the internet offers 80-90% of the same - and that means the benefits of living in the countryside now outweigh those of living in the city (for me at least). 

Yes, get fibre fast broadband but no or patchy mobile phone in some places unless standing on a hill with the wind blowing in the right direction......Go to Europe and roaming means excellent signal anywhere, the roads and train services are far superior......I do think more people are moving to new places all over the UK, there are many different benefits to living in different places, some places are getting worse, some are getting better.....Over crowding, high density, noise, air pollution and congestion is not a reason to move somewhere, it could be a good reason to move away from somewhere. ;)

The problem is winkie that you get followed by other people escaping the wonderful vibrant cultural hubs that are cities.

When the current suite of new estates, completed, in progress, or in receipt of planning permission is finished in three years' time or so then my town will have increased in size by over a quarter in ten years.

These are not affordable homes for locals, these are for people fleeing the overcrowded hell holes that are the big cities that politicians seem to like so much.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The problem is winkie that you get followed by other people escaping the wonderful vibrant cultural hubs that are cities.

When the current suite of new estates, completed, in progress, or in receipt of planning permission is finished in three years' time or so then my town will have increased in size by over a quarter in ten years.

These are not affordable homes for locals, these are for people fleeing the overcrowded hell holes that are the big cities that politicians seem to like so much.

There are people moving from all over the UK to other places in the UK, many very educated, influential, interesting and creative people......I would say a completely different type of people than I ever mixed with in the big smoke.

There are new homes being built but I would say that is a possitive thing to a point, there is a small estate of nice homes being built that are affordable and can only be sold to people that have been living in the area for a period of time and had to be for owner occupiers only, that is a good thing to encourage young local working people to buy and stay working and living, bringing up their families in the local community they know and love with extended family close by.....;)

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

There are people moving from all over the UK to other places in the UK, many very educated, influential, interesting and creative people......I would say a completely different type of people than I ever mixed with in the big smoke.

There are new homes being built but I would say that is a possitive thing to a point, there is a small estate of nice homes being built that are affordable and can only be sold to people that have been living in the area for a period of time and had to be for owner occupiers only, that is a good thing to encourage young local working people to buy and stay working and living, bringing up their families in the local community they know and love with extended family close by.....;)

Where I live, the local economy is blighted by 'high flyers' relocating from London with 'impressive' CVs that wow the locals.

Unfortunately, these high flyers are actually retiring from the city for a quiet life of rural idyll, they feel they've done their work.

So, not only do they inflate local property prices and take the highest local salaries, but they also don't really expect to work hard and are not motivated to do so, and so they don't fire up the local economy as is hoped or needed.

Which city? Which country side?

How far inland i.e. how far away from a trading port?

I grew up in big village - its still has 6 pubs - tourists!

There was always a large influx of people suring the summer - hooray - teenage girls, away from parents, looking for lurve.

My mates grew up more inland, in more agricultural areas. The only tourist they got were old couples out for a drive.

In summer, they used to come down and stay in our garage.

City dwellers certainly aren't as connected to their environment. Ask a city dwellers directions and they don't know the name of the next street. Ask in the country and they will probably have a virtual map of all the lanes and cul desacs within a five mile radius. Also notice a big difference, north v south...forget asking directions south of Watford. A Lancastrian will probably not only know where that obscure cul de sac is ten miles away he will jump into your car and take you there. :wacko:

Probably a result of the transient nature of the urban southern population, fortunately they came up with the sat nav.

5 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

Where I live, the local economy is blighted by 'high flyers' relocating from London with 'impressive' CVs that wow the locals.

Unfortunately, these high flyers are actually retiring from the city for a quiet life of rural idyll, they feel they've done their work.

So, not only do they inflate local property prices and take the highest local salaries, but they also don't really expect to work hard and are not motivated to do so, and so they don't fire up the local economy as is hoped or needed.

Do many of them do voluntary or community work?......Do they bring their money and knowledge with them to spend in the local community? Set up new businesses?.......Do they leave their BTL or bolt hole in another place they rather not live in?

There is no one size fits all IMO. ;)

3 hours ago, GTFO said:

Is there any data to back up the assertion that city dwellers are better educated/informed?

Lead from petrol isn't good for developing brains.

8 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

City dwellers certainly aren't as connected to their environment. Ask a city dwellers directions and they don't know the name of the next street. Ask in the country and they will probably have a virtual map of all the lanes and cul desacs within a five mile radius. Also notice a big difference, north v south...forget asking directions south of Watford. A Lancastrian will probably not only know where that obscure cul de sac is ten miles away he will jump into your car and take you there. :wacko:

Probably a result of the transient nature of the urban southern population, fortunately they came up with the sat nav.

Something I have noticed which kind of shocked me is the village two or three miles down the road is like a different country to some....Like a kind of threat or competition, must stem from years gone by......But is improving, places are growing closer together. ;)

1 minute ago, winkie said:

Do many of them do voluntary or community work?......Do they bring their money and knowledge with them to spend in the local community? Set up new businesses?.......Do they leave their BTL or bolt hole in another place they rather not live in?

There is no one size fits all IMO. ;)

The majority that I see are aged 50+ and they take the top jobs because their CV's look so much more impressive than the locals. They then do very little, as mentally, they retired when they moved to the country.

17 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Me, me, me. I know the answer!

Just like with the Trump vote and Brexit, the main effect is because of age. 

In the old days people didn't need higher qualifications for their opportunities.

Hence, in fact 56% of Tories voted for Brexit across the country. And in the US the earning power of Trump voters is far higher than for the Democrats. Last I heard, going to college was supposed to make you a higher earners and end up voting Tory.

And our major cities with their jobs and universities are far younger than in rural areas.

Population by age

The population in rural areas has a higher proportion of older people compared with urban areas.

2014 Mid-year population by area and percentage, rural and urban totals

Sept_2016_Digest___1_2014_mid_yr_pop_by_

6 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Lead from petrol isn't good for developing brains.

Isn't it unleaded completely then?

I was 21 when i moved to London in 87. Spent 25 years as a resident, though was back in Dorset a fair bit.

Now i'm back here permanently, i am struck by how much people have caught themselves on.

I can see on Facebook etc how attitudes of people i grew up with are now not what i might have expected. It must be the internet.

People seem way more open minded and liberal in the country than i had imagined. I'm guessing there is pressure on all of us to be "model citizens".

Im actually quite gratified to see how my contemporaries / schoolmates have turned out.

I fly under the radar on FB behind a sports club Identity. Much better that way.:)

49 minutes ago, winkie said:

If that was the case then:

• I and most other people would be favour of it (except those screaming because their BTL rents / house prices are dropping)
  • There would only be a fraction of the number being build that are actually being built.

The worst case in Cornwall of which I am aware is Wadebridge, nice small town on the Camel estuary up river from Padstow which has seen hundreds of new houses built and underway virtually none of which will go to locals.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If that was the case then:

• I and most other people would be favour of it (except those screaming because their BTL rents / house prices are dropping)
  • There would only be a fraction of the number being build that are actually being built.

The worst case in Cornwall of which I am aware is Wadebridge, nice small town on the Camel estuary up river from Padstow which has seen hundreds of new houses built and underway virtually none of which will go to locals.

So does that have something to do with the local council?.......I think it is very important that young local people are encouraged and enabled to set roots in their local community, they are the future. ;)