House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alba

What is the current best HTPC?

Before you strangely restricted it to Windows, I'd have said any Android based Kodi box.  

Not because they're particularly good, but because they're so cheap you'd wonder why anyone would spend over 10x as much for about the same functionality.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Before you strangely restricted it to Windows, I'd have said any Android based Kodi box.  

Not because they're particularly good, but because they're so cheap you'd wonder why anyone would spend over 10x as much for about the same functionality.

I have a Windows 10 based HTPC and find that it is less problematic than an android based system.  They are also easily fairly easily upgradeable as well as being multi-functional.  The newer Windows ones like the Minix are just as cheap as many of the android ones.

26 minutes ago, dgul said:

This. Very easy and very stable.

It depends on what you want. If you just want to stream films form the net or from your own server running Kodi or Plex then the Android ones (including Amazon Fire stick) I find to be the best bang for buck and need less constant configuration than using a PC. And, having used a PC in the past for media, I hated the noise of the PC fans.

This might be of interest; http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/digital-home/best-kodi-boxes-2016-2017-uk-3640650/

I read that one thanks.  Every one of them gets a substantial number of negatives on Amazon reviews.

Some of the new Windows ones are fanless like the Minix Z83-4.

Just now, Alba said:

I read that one thanks.  Every one of them gets a substantial number of negatives on Amazon reviews.

Some of the new Windows ones are fanless like the Minix Z83-4.

Fair enough. I'm happy with Android and just never got the reliability I wanted with windows. YMMV.

Firestick does it for me. There's a few things you can't get that way, but I tend to have physical media for those and watch so little telly it's not worth my time ripping them/having a dedicated hard drive server.  The WDTV boxes used to be very good hard drive based solutions. 

Fire-sticks are good enough for most things. 

But I always prefer having a hard line network. I've got an acer revo:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/acer-aspire-revo-100-review

quite old now, but it'll still run anything I throw at it. It's running kodi and a next pvr server for the rest of the house to connect to. 

All the rooms in the house are hard wired and all connect to a 5tb NAS

I asked this question because I have a reasonable set up in a Lenovo Q190, but it buffers with 1080p and sport on Kodi.  I know it could be down to the respective servers but I am looking to upgrade to a higher spec Windows based system in the hope that this would improve matters.  I am seeking the biggest bang per buck and accept there is probably no perfect set up within my criteria, but was looking for first hand recent good experiences.

18 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd assume that buffering was a problem elsewhere first, before blaming the unit.  

I have analysed the situation far more widely and thoroughly than posted, and decided a unit upgrade may improve matters.

Interesting.  I never thought of that avenue, probably because I am not, and never have been, into gaming, and accordingly don't know much about the Xbox One S.  However, because I assume it can play 4K media and fast games, and would thus have a super fast processor, perhaps this could be the way forward.

I fear my wife who is sceptical about my technology purchases in general, and mature adults playing games, would go quite wide eyed at this suggestion!

Only problem is you can't load your own software (DRM up the wazzoo!). Loads of software from service suppliers on there though (Amazon, Netflix, Sky/NowTV/BBC, etc.).

It's actually a good 4K STB, and the cheapest way to get 4K Blu-ray.

7 hours ago, Alba said:

I have analysed the situation far more widely and thoroughly than posted, and decided a unit upgrade may improve matters.

I assume you changed the buffer settings to allow more memory use etc?