House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alba

Will Merkel be toast?

Following the recent Munich shootings and this current lorry terrorist attack, if it proves such, will Merkel and her party be absolutely wiped out in the 2017 autumn elections?  If so, then Brexit may become a non sequitur as the EU may not exist as a signifcant entity in 2+ years anyway

2 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Should probably be jailed for negligence at least.

Since when are politicians jailed for negligence? 

2 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Your right, jail is for plebs only.

To illustrate your point..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/christine-lagarde-not-jail-every-politician-france-would-have/

Merkel and co will be furiously blaming the 'bigots' for winding up the jihadis, or isolated nutters hijacking the RoP, etc. and double down on censoring any dissenting voices. It will get uglier from now on.

I can't see any evidence that Merkel will be 'toast' next year. She's still polling highly, and AfD are being subjected to the usual smears from the MSM.

As I said in the other thread, I'm struggling to extend my sympathies to the German people tonight. Reap the whirlwind etc.

We forget that the German people are a bizarre in their mentality when it becomes to believing what they are told and being a good little German - it was part of the problem behind their unserving loyalty to Hitler right until the very end.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

We forget that the German people are a bizarre in their mentality when it becomes to believing what they are told and being a good little German - it was part of the problem behind their unserving loyalty to Hitler right until the very end.

It could be that they feel that they must pay for 'the sins of the grandfathers', and be whiter than white!

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I can't see any evidence that Merkel will be 'toast' next year. She's still polling highly, and AfD are being subjected to the usual smears from the MSM.

As I said in the other thread, I'm struggling to extend my sympathies to the German people tonight. Reap the whirlwind etc.

Yeah i doubt if she will be toast as well.

I know what you mean about Germans, but it isn't really their fault, they have been brainwashed by so "vergangenheitsbewältigung lessons at school"(coming to terms with the nazi past) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergangenheitsbewältigung

That they cannot think straight.  There are a few that can think straight, but they are in the minority.  Therefore I reckon Merkel will probably hold on in another 'grand collision' (translation, your vote was pointless, us politicians will just get together and do what we want, ignoring whatever we said in the campaign)

36 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I think there is still a strong nationalist contingent in Germany and although the Liberals / Social Democrats seem to be calling the shots i think they are very afraid of a nationalist resurgence. 

She is still polling highly.....

Did you lot learn nothing from Trump and Brexit :)

I cant think of any other country on the planet people would be less likely to admit in a poll they are voting for a party classed as 'right wing'. 

The ballot box is a different story however......

AFD to get 'Surprisingly high' vote is almost guaranteed imo. 

2 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

I think there is still a strong nationalist contingent in Germany and although the Liberals / Social Democrats seem to be calling the shots i think they are very afraid of a nationalist resurgence. 

Last week a German acquaintance told me that there was a lot of anger amongst Germans, especially in the smaller towns and rural areas, against Merkel and islam that is not being depicted by the mainstream German media. Time will tell.

Oh, this is in the West of Germany.

I spoke to a Bavarian quite recently and he was scathing about Merkel and immigration.  I suspect that due to a very p.c. society the secrecy of the ballot box may prove just as surprising as other recent political events.

1 minute ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

It will be a distant memory by then. Unless the New Germans start to ramp up the frequency I doubt she has much to worry about.

Millions of Germans will turn to their 'Mother Merkel' in their time of fear for her to protect them.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Millions of Germans will turn to their 'Mother Merkel' in their time of fear for her to protect them.

In the coming days I think we can expect some truly revolting displays of groveling.

1 minute ago, casual_squash said:

For Merkel to publicly criticise the Burka recently suggests a certain amount of smelling the coffee.

No.  Watch actions, not words.

1 minute ago, casual_squash said:

For Merkel to publicly criticise the Burka recently suggests a certain amount of smelling the coffee.

Suggests trying to divert criticism!