House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Rapist, lottery scamster

He submitted a damaged lottery ticket and Camelot paid out. Very odd as I always assumed there was a serial number on the ticket that matches the machine that printed it. Also odd that nobody else claimed the prize. 

9 hours ago, happy_renting said:

So do you.

That was about it in on the news.
Camelot have been fined £3m for paying out 2.5m to a convicted fraudster and rapist.

And then nothing else.

So, are they going to recover the money?

Big money involved here. Surely the story deserves more info. The BBC news gave the impression of a massive carpet sweeping by Camelot and the BBC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4041982/The-convicted-rapist-paid-2-5million-National-Lottery-submitting-deliberately-damaged-ticket-gets-Lotto.html

The participation of the Camelot employee was not mentioned. Neither was the blackmail.

The fine andthe money paid back should be recovered from senior Camelot managers and directors.

And the benefit fraud after 'winning' FFS!

It was an internal failure of Camelot's control systems that they wanted to hush up or they would suddenly be finding themselves with a huge queue of applicants for jobs.

They regarded £2.5m as an acceptable price to pay for keeping that quiet and so cheated everybody buying a ticket that thought it was a fair system.

I am pleased that they were fined but it should have been much more.

State lotteries should be seen by the left as the ultimate evil. They should be seen as a regressive form of taxation. The left must surely understand that the poor and uneducated will always pay a disproportionate amount of their income into such schemes because:

- the uneducated can't comprehend probabilities (not sure I believe that one);

- the poor need a dream.

Major established the lottery in its current form in 1993. In 1997 Blair was swept to power atop a Labour government. Despite the party's political tendencies, the Lottery went from strength to strength, even during the arguably more left wing Brown leadership.

The lottery is run under license by the private contractor, Camelot. This has been the case since its inception. During this time Labour managed to nationalise a huge swathe of our banking industry.

We can now look forward to much criticism from Labour, but not because lotteries are evil per se, but because the state sanctioned one, which they promoted, is run by a private entity.

6 hours ago, GloomMonger said:

He submitted a damaged lottery ticket and Camelot paid out. Very odd as I always assumed there was a serial number on the ticket that matches the machine that printed it. Also odd that nobody else claimed the prize. 

I would wager it was the serial number that was part of the system breakdown. Guaranteed it was unencrypted with an obvious data sequence... issuing machine, date/time stamp and ticket number. If the winning tickets location was given away then maybe buying a ticket from the same location, on the same day in the week and at the same time would mean only a few characters smudged enough to mislead. That's information that Camelot would rightly wish to keep quiet.

Real men don't buy lottery tickets.

They buy pies, tabs, whisky and Brown Ale.

And listen to Shirley Bassey songs at least once a day...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

As a child I was hypnotised by Shirley Bassey. I didn't even know she was black, we didn't have that then. She has nice big hands, not those tiny toy sized ones that some women have.:huh: