House Price Crash Forum

Annoying things people have said to me about houses

btd1981

HOLA441

Renting - from family. Why do you have such a small house?

(because it was the best we could find on short notice when last evicted)

and then

(why are you living with mismatched furniture and boxes everywhere)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449
5 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Rich friends we were visiting, their pet dog had a new plush kennel.

'Oh look, little rover has his paws on the property ladder.' Cue glance at us.

Hmm... He benefitted from bomad as couldn't afford to buy with his non existent income!

HOLA4410
On 4/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, btd1981 said:

Rich friends we were visiting, their pet dog had a new plush kennel.

'Oh look, little rover has his paws on the property ladder.' Cue glance at us.

"poor ******er, a debt slave for life'

should have been your response

HOLA4411
On 21/12/2016 at 9:16 AM, DrMartinSanchez said:

Guy I know who teaches A-Levels Economics.

In a sense he's right if the current system is able to be constantly propped up. If banks are leveraged 30 to 1, which a lot of them are, (even more so in the continent) then a 3+% loss on their loan book makes them all bankrupt. That's why inflation exists...its a wonderful tool to make the masses work harder for the same amount of resources. 

So for the status quo to stop you literally need a new monetary system not reliant on debt and inflation. A tough ask for today's politicians - do we think Jeremy Corbyn really understands this issue? Politicians just need to fight for the lowest common denominator - rents are unfair, free school dinners, free healthcare for all paid for by "the rich". Actually changing the system requires someone who is analytical with an understanding of mathematics.  

HOLA4412
On 22/03/2017 at 1:25 PM, GrizzlyDave said:

You will be a slave to the mortgage.

People don't actually value their free time. They believe they must be told what to do, to earn some salary and that is their happy little life. Anyone who owns a company understands that actually the world is far more fluid and risky and taking risk to achieve something should be rewarded. Most people just don't want to, they are happy with weekends off and working 9-5 and rueing the "luck" of others who build/make something.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4413

At a toddler's party, Leeds, yesterday. Mix of white collar employees.

Parents conversation covered the view of just getting an extra 100k on the mortgage to get the home you REALLY want as the repayments are so low.

Carneys done a brilliant job with forward guidance don't you think.

HOLA4414
On 3/7/2017 at 11:21 AM, Flopsy said:

Renting - from family. Why do you have such a small house?

(because it was the best we could find on short notice when last evicted)

and then

(why are you living with mismatched furniture and boxes everywhere)

Years ago, there was a local guy that did house clearances, his shop was always stuffed with various tat. He did a special furnishing deal for first time buyers/renters. Settee, 2 armchairs, fridge, cooker, double bed and a wardrobe. Maybe some other stuff I forget. Very low all in price but everything would be on its last legs. The couple would replace stuff as and when it fell to bits but it got them started.

HOLA4415
On 18/06/2017 at 11:47 AM, John51 said:

Years ago, there was a local guy that did house clearances, his shop was always stuffed with various tat. He did a special furnishing deal for first time buyers/renters. Settee, 2 armchairs, fridge, cooker, double bed and a wardrobe. Maybe some other stuff I forget. Very low all in price but everything would be on its last legs. The couple would replace stuff as and when it fell to bits but it got them started.

When my daughter and son in law bought their first house (2011, no BOMAD) they had been working abroad and didn't have so much as a teaspoon.  Every single thing from sheets and cutlery to beds and sofa was old 2nd hand, from family or charity/junk shops.  An ancient aunt of mine had recently died in her care home and there was her old Victorian 'whatnot' I was going to get rid of, but they were very glad of that, too. 

I often hear that young couples insist on everything shiny-new, but it just isn't  true. 

HOLA4416

Round where I live (SE), shiny-new is pretty much the default. New cars everywhere.

The only place I see old furniture is in pubs going for the ever popular "distressed look".

My observation about the young is that they would like to behave more like the home-owners in their 40s, but simply can't afford to. The other observation I've made is that they are not settling down, with the result that when they finally get around to it in their late 30s/early 40s, they will find it hard to conceive children.

We talk about lots of crises on here, but the fertility crisis is the most profound one in the longer term. 

HOLA4417
12 minutes ago, thisisthisitmaybe said:

We talk about lots of crises on here, but the fertility crisis is the most profound one in the longer term. 

A big issue is age when it comes to fertility and one not talked about enough.  I know someone who is a devout catholic and never got pregnant after 32 despite almost certainly obeyed the Vatican teachings on contraception (this was not in the UK) as she had already had 5 children this was more a blessing than a curse for her - but does show the effect of age on fertility.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 6/20/2017 at 3:42 PM, iamnumerate said:

A big issue is age when it comes to fertility and one not talked about enough.  I know someone who is a devout catholic and never got pregnant after 32 despite almost certainly obeyed the Vatican teachings on contraception (this was not in the UK) as she had already had 5 children this was more a blessing than a curse for her - but does show the effect of age on fertility.

A coworker got the menopause at about 27. Wasn't diagnosed for a couple of years because nobody thought to check for it and assumed that her symptoms were due to some form of mental illness. She described it as feeling like she was going crazy and was worried the mood swings would have her kill someone. 

Luckily for her she'd already had a son. 

HOLA4421
4 minutes ago, John51 said:

A coworker got the menopause at about 27. Wasn't diagnosed for a couple of years because nobody thought to check for it and assumed that her symptoms were due to some form of mental illness. She described it as feeling like she was going crazy and was worried the mood swings would have her kill someone. 

Luckily for her she'd already had a son. 

Wow that is very lucky/unlucky.  It is a real problem now days, people starting families too late.  I will tell my daughter as soon as you meet the right man have children - don't worry about how to look after them we will help so much, you won't have any problems with your career etc.

HOLA4422
20 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Wow that is very lucky/unlucky.  It is a real problem now days, people starting families too late.  I will tell my daughter as soon as you meet the right man have children - don't worry about how to look after them we will help so much, you won't have any problems with your career etc.

+1

HOLA4423

There was a story in the local rag about someone trying to sell a country pile between Glasgow and Edinburgh who had resorted to a raffle instead. Here was my Facebook comment and how one internet lady respobded.

Me: Desperate wheezes like this always indicate that the market is beyond overheated. The house is patently not worth anywhere near what they are claiming, otherwise they'd have sold it by now.

Internet Lady: This is not true, big houses aren't selling right now - too much uncertainty over brexit and independence and that neep over the sea.  My parents hotel has been on the market for over 5 years with the recession and previously mentioned things.  They have reduced the price of theirs to under what it is worth just to try and sell it so they can retire.  It's not a good time to be trying to sell a large property as there's just not the people with the money, it doesn't mean the houses aren't worth their prices!

Me: I have to disagree with you because you don't seem to understand the basic fundamental truth about how markets function. A buyer will always seek to pay as little as possible while a seller will try to get the most possible.

If there are no buyers at a certain price, the price is too high. You can add in as much hyperbole about political uncertainty or emotional attachment to family businesses etc. but if not a single buyer is prepared to part with their money for something, then it's simply too expensive. It doesn't matter if it's a plot of land or a pot of jam.

Internet Lady: I understand what you're saying, and yes I know buyers want a low price (hence all my properties over the years being brought from fixed price as I can't stand being outbid!).  Surely it could be that the right person just hasn't seen it yet - or that there isn't a "market" for that particular item of course.  It doesn't mean the item isn't worth the price.  I mean this house is valued at over 600k but on the market for 400k so I don't see he could afford to reduce the price even further below valuation.

Me: The "right person" is anybody who is ready, willing and able to pay money to buy something. If no such person has made themselves known, then it doesn't exactly take a genius to work out why. 

It doesn't matter that how ever many years ago when the house was last on the market that people were outbidding each other to get the place. Something is only worth what the marginal buyer is willing to pay.

No reply

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424
On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, Diver Dan said:

/SNIP

Internet Lady: I understand what you're saying, and yes I know buyers want a low price (hence all my properties over the years being brought from fixed price as I can't stand being outbid!).  Surely it could be that the right person just hasn't seen it yet - or that there isn't a "market" for that particular item of course.  It doesn't mean the item isn't worth the price.  I mean this house is valued at over 600k but on the market for 400k so I don't see he could afford to reduce the price even further below valuation.

Me: The "right person" is anybody who is ready, willing and able to pay money to buy something. If no such person has made themselves known, then it doesn't exactly take a genius to work out why. 

It doesn't matter that how ever many years ago when the house was last on the market that people were outbidding each other to get the place. Something is only worth what the marginal buyer is willing to pay.

No reply

It appears that you silenced her with logic. B)

HOLA4425
On 6/22/2017 at 11:39 AM, iamnumerate said:

If you are in a position to help your daughter then that is good advice. Unfortunately a lot of young people don't have parents in a strong financial position. My sister's husband walked out on her, leaving her with two young kids, and forced her to sell the house. My parents now have to pay for their holidays, rental moving costs (they've had to move three times in four years), it is all very upsetting.

I would say to your daughter, meet the right man, but let me as your dad have a strong word as to whether I think he is suitable. 

(Obviously this can also work the other way for men who marry the wrong woman).