House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollover

Christmas shoppers New Year debt hangover

Tis the season to be jolly, but why overspends before and over the festive period and racking up debts you cannot repay. Christmas is costly enough without spending money on people you do not like, but that is exactly what many do and plan to borrow money to cover this year's Christmas costs. Many feel obliged to blow large sums buying presents or throwing parties for people they do not really like, including family, friends, neighbours and even colleagues. 

Christmas sprees can lead to a New Year debt hangover and quickly spiral out of control and seriously impact people’s lives.

What's your experience so far?

It can be a competition of wealth disguised with the false impression of generosity...my present for this person was more valuable than yours, therefore you don't love them as much. It's all unspoken of course.

"well here it is fecking Christmas every bodies feeling glum."

"Uuuuunwanted presents and pine needles on yer bum."

(slade)

Ah christmas presents. Fecking consumer dreamland filling your credit card with warm fuzzy colourful shiny TAT on tick for that short lived DEBTfuelled sugar rush that you never intend to pay for. 

Yeah. Humbug is right.

1 hour ago, Arpeggio said:

It can be a competition of wealth disguised with the false impression of generosity...

I'm sure there's often an element of that, but personally I think the consumer Christmas is just a drug that millions of people take to blot out their own unhappiness and the emptiness in their lives. Buying for other people means you can justify spending more, but you're still getting that hit of retail therapy and the temporary joy caused by buying shit that no human being could ever need. Add in a couple of months of dewy eyed over-sentimentalism and 6 weeks of eating and drinking everything that passes within a 20 foot radius, and you've got a cocktail of pure opiate oblivion - it's no better than any other drug.

But of course, "it's all for the kiddies really, isn't it?"

Is it heck.

Everyone here is having a HPC tight Xmas

There is this "It's Christmas, must spend loads" mindset that some people have.

Every January I read about the local "reformed" criminals who after two years' of no lawbreaking went thieving in December to get money for Christmas.

It's not exclusively a criminal or even chav thing, more one for the materialists who judge themselves and others by their possessions and see Christmas as the cue to acquire loads more.

Mind I also judge people by their possessions, although my measure is somewhat different to their's.  Less is better.

I've actually spent a little more than I usually would, although I won't be putting any of it on tick. I'm also doing my best to get into the spirit a little earlier this year, as normally I get accused of being a miserable ******* for wanting Christmas to start the day before Christmas Eve and finish the day after Boxing Day. The end result is that I rarely enjoy it very much because I spend the whole time feeling like I'm the only one not in a delusionally good mood over a milestone for a religion that is entirely meaningless to me and everyone else around me.

So every year I tell myself I'm going to try to enjoy it more next time, and every year I remember that too late. This year I'm on it early.

That still doesn't mean I can deal with the idiots that spend the entire period from mid November to mid January eating mince pies in the office and unable to walk past a tin of Quality Street without grabbing a digger bucket's worth and simpering "Well it's Christmas, isn't it", before spending the rest of the year telling me how lucky I am to have such a fast metabolism.

4 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Yes, I`ve kept myself going for 3 days on 2 plates of Jerusalem Artichokes and 2 eggs.(20p for the eggs)

Ill wind ....yes and no.

You are spoiling the "environment"!

Christmas shopping: The tactics to get you spending

Christmas brings out the generous spirit in most of us but what tactics are retailers coming up with to get us to spend that bit more? Isabelle Szmigin, professor of marketing at the University of Birmingham, says they try to "create a fear of missing out". They do this with "offers and on the internet you'll be told there's only five of these left," she adds.

Prof Szmigin says for high street shops "creating the right mood to make us happy" is just as important because "if we're happy we'll spend more". BBC

It's the same with HPI.

Brexit boosts spending: UK set for record-breaking Christmas shopping Bonanza

This week is forecast to be the busiest yet for retailers as shoppers leave it to the last minute to buy presents. Because Christmas Day falls on a Sunday this year, buyers have effectively been given an extra Saturday of spending on Christmas Eve, bumping up sales to unprecedented levels. Cash withdrawals this month are at an all-time high and stores say they expect records to tumble. 

Brexit had given the West End a “positive boost, driven by an influx of international shoppers looking to make the most of the weak pound. Richard Lim, chief executive of Retail Economics, said: “Shoppers have embraced a ‘keep calm and carry on spending’ attitude, seemingly unfazed by the Brexit vote and undeterred by the economic doom-mongers.” 

Cash withdrawals are at an all-time high, with Link, the ATM network, reporting a seven per cent increase in withdrawals compared with last year, totalling £1.8billion. Chief executive John Howells said: “These figures show that cash usage is up as consumers go out determined to enjoy the festive season.  "This extra money being withdrawn is great news for small shops, pubs and restaurants.” 

The figures have been welcomed by Brexiteers. John Longworth, former director-general of the British Chambers of Commerce, said: “If you want to know how well the economy is doing look at consumer spending, which is a much bigger vote of confidence than any opinion poll.” Express

What could possibly go wrong.

Reflecting on my personal experience of xmas over only the past ten years (in my late 50's) I just sit back in bemusement. As a parent of two who were twelve and thirteen ten years ago I suggested to them to have cash for xmas and wait for the after Xmas sales to buy what they wanted. This strategy worked well ten years ago.

Oh how things change! They still have cash but no need to wait for a few days for sales. Now they start pre xmas and go on all year to shift stuff.

Thankfully they save the cash and wait until they need or want something at a good price until they part with the cash.

As usual I spend little extra than normal at Xmas. There is no need IMO, it's just another day in our world. I do enjoy a very nice family dinner when everyone is off work and that's nice.

Did our Xmas dinner yesterday in....Morrisons. Sprouts a bit overcooked, but otherwise perfectly serviceable for £7 for 3 courses.  Presents wise spend is a little up on previous years. Missus wanted an Amazon Echo (so it will be split between Xmas and Valentine's day). But overall still comfortably under the £150 mark for around a half a dozen relatives. Crucially, I have felt zero interest in buying myself a Xmas gift (to mitigate the crap I'll receive from others). I'm in the happy place of wanting for nothing. 

5 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

... . Missus wanted an Amazon Echo.... I'm in the happy place of wanting for nothing. 

Don't worry, the former will soon put an end to the latter.

29 minutes ago, Errol said:

Isn't the Echo just an NSA/GCHQ spy device with a nice name and a friendly voice?

Something like that. I wouldn't have one in my house. I'm paranoid enough about my mobile listening in :ph34r:

I saw a jam jar full 500g of penny sweets in Clinton cards. Price £10. Ok this price would have to cover for the rest of year overheads and compared to folded pieces of paper it is probably ok. Personally would prefer a steak or maybe a starter/desert at a restaurant. Any anecdotals on the Christmas on a Sunday causing problems for retailers ? 

Also any stories of worst value presents they have seen out there?

On 19/12/2016 at 1:21 AM, happy_renting said:

It's ironic. In the weeks before Xmas the shops seem to fill with seasonal tat that surely no sane person would want to buy.

I don't claim to be sane!:huh: