House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Butthead

Is this a cure for the common cold?

For the last couple of days I've had a bit of a cold. Nothing serious, just a bit of a cough, sore throat, sneezing a bit - it felt like the start of a virus.

Last night I went out with work and drank far far too much. And today, my cold is cured!

There have been a couple of times in my life when I can remember this happening and in my long hungover laze in bed this morning I was musing that it you flood every cell in your body with alcohol, not to mention filling your bloodstream up with it too, then this could have quite a powerful virus killing effect. After all isn't alcohol used as a disinfectant in medicine and science labs? It might not be effective if you are in the grip of something, but if you've just got the start of a virus could it be killed off in this way?

Where can I apply for my nobel prize?

Wait till your system is free of alcohol before sending your nomination in!!:wacko:

though I have cured colds using whisky toddies!  My excuse is I'm not allowed to take Lemsip. 

I used to go out and drink four pints of cider if I wanted to shake off a cold and that always seemed to do the trick.

It had to be cider, which I otherwise rarely drink, beer or lager didn't have any effect.

Maybe it is the combination of the alcohol, the high amount of sugar in cider (far more than in beer or lager), and the apples.

Actifed is pretty good if you are streaming but isn't suitable for everyone. It does cause drowsiness.

And if you have a tickly cough Halls extra strong numbs that tickly fits of coughing.

Anyway any cold cure would put the drug companies out of business.

And if doesn't work....you don;'t feckin care...

I have cut down my boozing, eaten 5 portions of fruit and veg every day, gone for long walks and regularly downed a multivitamin to boot this winter and I have had at least two stinking, streaming colds as a reward. When I spent most of my evenings in the pub I rarely seemed to get them so maybe the op has a point. I think I am going to hit the bottle.