House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Humbug

Quick caveat: I do actually like Christmas.

Two things have combined this year to make me a humbug this year.

One: so many people taking the week before Christmas off. I don't remember this always being the case but in the last ten years it has become the must have week, so much so that when I had a big team I had to make people take turns. If it was exclusively people with children then I could understand it as the schools break up but there's loads of people without children who take it. Not had it myself and not wanted it either.

Two: Christmas Day being on a Sunday, so these people are taking an entire week, not two or three days.

For a couple of us at work it happens to be an intensely busy period so to be surrounded by people who were basically starting Christmas on Friday morning was irksome when you're pounding out work ahead of a deadline. It also was the day of the Christmas lunch where 90% of people carry on drinking all afternoon; it even crossed my mind to drop out, my colleague actually did.

Only a semi-humbug really as I did enjoy the lunch, if not as much as previous years.  But for me Christmas is still a long working week away so I'm not wrapping myself in tinsel yet.

This does I suppose give me an insight into the number of other occupations where Christmas is just another working day.

I loved those US Christmas movies where everyone buys everything at the last minute on Christmas Eve - their presents, the tree, the decorations, the food as if there is one magival shop where this can all be bought.

I'm off for Christmas already. I hope they don't finish the project before I get back in January.

Not taking any time off before Christmas, don't really see any point in doing so, I'd rather save my leave for another time of year when I could make better use of it. The place I work at shuts down between Christmas and New Year anyway.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

as if there is one magival shop where this can all be bought.

It's known as an Esso petrol station.

2 hours ago, ccc said:

It's known as an Esso petrol station.

I was working away one year, got into my home town at about 9pm Christmas Eve after a 200 mile drive and stopped, as I usually did, at the supermarket petrol station to fill up for the trip back to work after Christmas.

I have never seen such a queue outside of a football game or pop concert. Not of cars, but of people, all men, all queuing up at the only place still open at 9pm on Christmas Eve where they could buy their "loved one" something resembling a present.

As Harry Hill would say "Christmas? Is that tomorrow? Derrrrr....".

I didn't bother getting my petrol.

43 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

...all men, all queuing up at the only place still open at 9pm on Christmas Eve where they could buy their "loved one" something resembling a present.

Not for nothing is January divorce-month.

1 minute ago, Sledgehead said:

When it comes to Christmas, people will leave all sorts of things 'til the last minute:

Effing Christmas, 6th December

I have bought all the Christmas presents I need for the very few people I know. I bought them early, and they are not socks.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have bought all the Christmas presents I need for the very few people I know. I bought them early, and they are not socks.

Power tools it is then! ;)

Drill_Master_zpsrg7uspys.jpg

12 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I loved those US Christmas movies where everyone buys everything at the last minute on Christmas Eve - their presents, the tree, the decorations, the food as if there is one magival shop where this can all be bought.

I used to quite like stopping open for another half hour longer than all the other shops and getting rid of a load or Christmas wrap. Also something other worldly about being virtually the only one inside a totally deserted shopping centre on Christmas Eve. If some terrorists came to try and take over it would be like being in a real life Die Hard movie.

One thing that does always make me laugh is the strapping of the Christmas tree to the car roof even though it would easily go in the boot. That seems to have arrived, in this country, via US Christmas movies.